THE BROWNS BOARD

Brock Osweiler

TheClevelandSound

Here are highlights of his game vs. USC.

He seems to have decent touch and a quick release. He is also a better runner, more athletic than I thought he might be. His arm strength seems to be an issue only because on this film I do not see where he is at all asked to throw very far downfield. This looks like Pat Shurmur's offense of dinks and dunks...so maybe he would be a perfect fit here?

This guy is a pretty great overall athlete. Being from Montana like he is I sure remember reading a lot about him and he was pretty far and away the best athlete in the state and in multiple sports. He was at one point committed to playing basketball at Gonzaga. The last athlete from Montana this good was probably Ryan Leaf.

That said, his release is nowhere close to being ready. He really doesn't look like a natural Quarterback. It's going to take a few years on the bench to get him ready. I hate drafting guys who have to completely rework a throwing motion, it almost never works because when the pressure is on they usually revert back to what they did for years in high school and college.

I don't know who is going to draft him in the first round. I can't see a good team passing over a potential contributor for a project like him that early.

No.

Arizona State's play caller during that game was a 12 year old Madden player.

Swing pass, swing pass, swing pass, dive, PA swing pass, bubble screen, swing pass.

That would make any QBs stats look good. Unfortunately, an NFL QB it does not make.

I just watched the ASU vs. Missouri game last night. I really liked the Big QB BROCK. I heard during the game that he had been sprinting up the nearby mountains to get ready for the season. I thought initially that the kid would have to be a statue back there but in reality he moves really great. He doesn't look to big to play the position. He threw some nice deep balls and had a really athletic QB scramble for a touchdown. I was watching for Vontaze Burfict, who really jumps the snaps like polypoopoo, but I came away impressed by both the QB and the Cornerback... his name escapes me. I also thought the little guy Plugrad-I think his name was.

A lot of people get caught up in throwing motion and mechanics but IF you can get the ball where it needs to go, who cares what it looks like getting there? Wasn't Kosar the poster child for ugly?- but he could still deliver the ball.

A lot of people get caught up in throwing motion and mechanics but IF you can get the ball where it needs to go, who cares what it looks like getting there? Wasn't Kosar the poster child for ugly?- but he could still deliver the ball.

Agreed you can get it done with an ugly throwing motion, i just dont know if his release is quick enough but i wont doubt him that he cant succeed at the next level..

No.

Swing pass, swing pass, swing pass, dive, PA swing pass, bubble screen, swing pass.

That would make any QBs stats look good. Unfortunately, an NFL QB it does not make.

OK, he's more mobile than DA, I'll grant him that. :) Fairly good velocity on his passes, but like you said I want to see more than swing passes to backs. Like can you look off a saftey, and read defenses? Looks like a not over the top throwing motion either, which negates some of his height.

If he lasts to low 4th round, sure take a flyer on him. He may not last that long, but I doubt I saw first round talent.

Here are highlights of his game vs. USC.

He seems to have decent touch and a quick release. He is also a better runner, more athletic than I thought he might be. His arm strength seems to be an issue only because on this film I do not see where he is at all asked to throw very far downfield. This looks like Pat Shurmur's offense of dinks and dunks...so maybe he would be a perfect fit here?

This video screams 'WTF, tell this me guy ain't a 6'8 version of Colt McCoy at Texas '

I'll pass...

No.

You just described the Cleveland Browns offense of 2011.

Again, the question is: is it the QB or the offense he is being asked to call.

I believe that Colt McCoy was fully capable of making longer throws downfield, he just wasn't allowed to that much.

This guy may be able to too, if he were allowed.

To me, he is kind of Ryan Mallet like.

You just described the Cleveland Browns offense of 2011.

Again, the question is: is it the QB or the offense he is being asked to call.

I believe that Colt McCoy was fully capable of making longer throws downfield, he just wasn't allowed to that much.

This guy may be able to too, if he were allowed.

To me, he is kind of Ryan Mallet like.

Drafting a QB because he "may be" able to throw downfield accurately is a crapshoot. That's what you do when you have a franchise QB in place. Unfortunately, we're not in that position.

Then again, nobody in this year's draft class has stood out, so taking Osweiler later may work out.

Now, by all means, let the RG3 homers get all butthurt that I haven't praised Sir Griffin III.

• 1 month later...

Archived