THE BROWNS BOARD

Jackson (Possibly) Getting The Tag.........

Halfbreed216

Dawson would probably sign a 3 year with us. We do need to look for a kicker next year...no really good kickers coming out this year in college. We are already paying him big bucks, what's another 400k toward our cap...it's really a no lose if we just extend it out for 3 years, don't think anyone is going to match our price.

If we do franchise Jackson what are we looking at paying him next year like 7.5-8 million?...probably double his base I'm guessing...i think we could probably get him cheaper by going five year at say 30 million...or just let him go...we could easily pick up curtis lofton and sign him for a long 5 year deal at probably less than what Dqwell is making right now.

I think this is smart. Feel him out another year and make sure there isn't anymore injuries building up before a new deal. But, that's alot more money for one year. What's everyones thoughts??

Jackson is not worth franchise money. He's one of the top 5 linebackers in the NFL, you kidding me?

It's about time. I think he kicked like 6 touchbacks all year. For sure had the worst touchback percentage in the NFL. I love the guy's clutch kicking but he hurts the team too much on kickoff.

as opposed to hurting the team by missing kicks?

how many games has he won for us again?

as opposed to hurting the team by missing kicks?

how many games has he won for us again?

lol, that just sounds funny comin from a browns fan. i mean, how many games have you won total to be..........nevermind, it's just too easy anymore. lol.

Jackson is not worth franchise money. He's one of the top 5 linebackers in the NFL, you kidding me?

This was the only season in the past three he didn't have an injury. Make sure he isn't gonna get hurt again and then talk big money. He is worth alot more, but why pay a big contract if you can tag him for one year and make sure he isn't a one season fluke.

It'll cost 8.8 million to tag him. DQ was second in the NFL in total tackles, first in solo tackles and 3.5 sacks. I don't see why Browns fans are concerned at all with how much we pay anyone. It's not like we weren't 20 Million under the cap last season. Oh wait, then we might not be able to sign that big free agent they never intended to sign and probably had close to zero interest to sign with us anyhow.

It's not our money so fuck it.

I would take jackson at 5 years 30 million not a penny more...we need that space! Our QB probably makes the least of any starting QB in the league(would bet he is the most cost effective QB out there as well) our RB 5th round money, lets say we actually do get a better QB or RB in the next 2 years...they are going to want a hell of a lot more than Colts salary(he works for peanuts)...if we get RG3 probably gonna cost us at leat $5 million a year... 10x what we are paying Colt(not worth it, but it's not up to me)...now you want us to pay Jackson more than Joe Thomas(some of you kids are smoking some crap)The more I look at it the more I actually want to sign Colt up for a 10 year contract at 2.5 million a season...That would save us a ton of money everywhere else. Senneca probably makes double or triple what Colt makes is he 3x better than Colt(some will say at least 5x) This franchise will start spending more frugally then they have had in past year. Jackson is gone unless he signs for $5.5 million or less end of argument.

Hoorta, have taken a look at his stats this year?

How many tackles for loss, how many sacks? He's got no excuse with Taylor and Rubin playing in front of him. I'm not impressed with total tackles, and he didn't make the Pro Bowl either.

And jsut when you think it can't get dumber, the team is considering a franchise tag on a dime-a-dozen LB who does nothing but rush the passer from the outside. Good grief, offer him a fair price and then kick his ass out the door if he isn't happy with it.

Jackson doesn't play outside or rush the passer from the outside. He played MLB.

How many tackles for loss, how many sacks? He's got no excuse with Taylor and Rubin playing in front of him. I'm not impressed with total tackles, and he didn't make the Pro Bowl either.

The Pro bowl voting is a joke so you really can't use that against him. And not all MLBs get a lot of sacks. It depends on the playcalling. Jackson was in coverage a lot too. His biggest negative is stopping the run, but if our OLBs could actually seal the edge, Jackson wouldn't have to overplay his position. Jackson isn't perfect, but he is the best LB the Browns have so I would keep him - but only for the right price. Either franchise tag him or sign him to a long term deal without giving too much guaranteed money.

The Pro bowl voting is a joke so you really can't use that against him. And not all MLBs get a lot of sacks. It depends on the playcalling. Jackson was in coverage a lot too. His biggest negative is stopping the run, but if our OLBs could actually seal the edge, Jackson wouldn't have to overplay his position. Jackson isn't perfect, but he is the best LB the Browns have so I would keep him - but only for the right price. Either franchise tag him or sign him to a long term deal without giving too much guaranteed money.

:) I think it's been so long since the Browns had a super stud linebacker, guys have forgotten what one looks like. To me, Jackson doesn't pass the "Beauty Contest" of looking like one of the top 5 middle linebackers in the NFL- stats aside, and I sure as hell wouldn't pay him like one.

Sure Jackson is undersized and not super fast but he's got a pretty good nose for the ball and a bird in the hand is worth more than nothing in the bush at this point.

Then make him a non-exclusive franchise tag player. We get draft picks if he signs elsewhere. And I believe the tag price will be about $9.6 million. That's crazy money to pay a guy like Jackson. MHO is that's the kind of money you pay to a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher in their primes.

:) I think it's been so long since the Browns had a super stud linebacker, guys have forgotten what one looks like. To me, Jackson doesn't pass the "Beauty Contest" of looking like one of the top 5 middle linebackers in the NFL- stats aside, and I sure as hell wouldn't pay him like one.

Agreed.

BTW, he wouldn't even start for any of the teams in our conference. (unfortunately, that's not a joke)

Agreed.

BTW, he wouldn't even start for any of the teams in our conference. (unfortunately, that's not a joke)

I think Jackson would easily start for PIT as the WILB (they'd move Timmon to the strong side and replace the aging and declining Farrior). He'd easily start over McClain in BATL (thought considering the youth of McClain it's hard to say, since they'd likely want to develop McClain). No question he'd start over Rey Rey in Cincy. That guy is a highlight reel of missed tackles and terrible coverage skills. Cincy is probably the best example of where he'd start since Jackson was always a bit mis-casted in a 3-4. Jackson would not only be an upgrade over Rey Rey, he'd easily start over either of Cincy's OLBs.

The whole X guy wouldn't start for any team is always a bit of a silly discussion point. We have zero idea what player would start for some other team, for the most part.

Archived