THE BROWNS BOARD

The Artist Review

The Artist

Alliance

PG 13 100 min

Well its Oscar season and with that comes the release of a bunch of films that werent deemed to be ready for prime time.

Id have probably not even noticed this one had it not been the hit of the Golden Globes. As it is, even after the Academy Best Picture nomination I was lucky enough to find it at one nearby theater.

Even then I was hesitant to go in. First of all its French. Not that the French are horrible filmmakers but sometimes the bleak endings put me off.

And on top of that as I found out at the popcorn counter this is a silent film. That in itself isnt a red flag but it can be a pain reading subtitles.

Well gang, I was amazed. First of all, the message screens were rare and the storyline was easy to follow via nothing but action and facial expression. It reminded me that like the FX of today sound itself can be a crutch.

That must be how the silent actors felt as the talkies unceremoniously pushed them out of the limelight.

That is the basis of this story. Jean Dujardin is George Valentin, the premier action adventure swashbuckler of the silent films of the early 20s. Dujardins performance is brilliant by the way. This wouldnt have worked otherwise.

Gracious charming and charismatic George is facing the end of an era.

Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo) is a cute as a button extra and when they meet, well its kismet.

Of course that flame is kept from spreading since Valentin is a faithfully married man. Still the embers glow throughout the movie.

As she becomes Americas singing and dancing sweetheart in the modern talkies his star fades into oblivion and poverty. Abandoned by his crabby wife and high rolling friends, all thats left is the devotion of his butler his dog and, secretly, Peppy.

I wont give away more but let you dread, as I did, how the French would possible come up with a miserable ending.

All I will tell you is that I loved the whole thing and Im glad it got nominated. Otherwise wed never get much opportunity to see it.

I do notice that its recently opened in a few more theaters.

Tres bien mes amis.

WSS

A

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived