THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's Review Every Completion/incompletion Rgiii Had In The Oklahoma Game

First things first, outside two blind passes, every throw he made was fantastic. He makes great decisions in the pocket. He read defenses accurately and made them pay with precision beams to his wideouts in full stride.

All the supposed 'weaknesses' RGIII has, this video dispels them. He comfortably took snaps under center and 'threw open' receivers in hot reads.

But more importantly, he displayed unparalleled composure that's obvious even though this game was played four months ago. Watching plays that include his incomplete passes gives you the sense of pace and steadiness he plays with.

I gotta say one thing that always impressed me with RG3 is the fact he stays in the pocket and takes a hit when pressure comes into his face, this is huge for a transition into the Pro Game..Just ask Blaine Gabbert, also note its even better considering he has the ability to run which would make you think that the first sign of trouble he would take off with his feet not stand in the pocket and take a hit very impressive...

Other than the TD pass where the receiver was wide open, all I saw was a bunch of wounded ducks and passes that were not even close to the receivers.

That is incomplete That is incomplete that is incomplete.

He cannot execute under pressure.

We should just buy one of these rg3's

I thought the same thing. I didn't watch all of the video, but I saw a TON of overthrown deep passes. A lot of incompletes and about zero passes where he 'threw open' the receiver. There were a lot of short routes and come backs that he hit. But from this video nothing impressed me. His running sucked too.

One reel isn't enough to put judgement on someone, but i wasn't impressed with him at all. It's funny the RGIII pole smoker here puts up a shitty highlight reel of his boyfriend and talks like he's the second coming. Without those receivers getting WIDE open down the field and a lucky pass or two, he had nothing...

If we pick a project QB, i'd gamble in the later rounds on Russel Wilson. That guy is smart, athletic, and throws his receivers open (something RGIII never did in this reel). His only knock is he is short but he did play with a huge offensive line. But may have a lot of balls batted down in the NFL.

I thought the same thing. I didn't watch all of the video, but I saw a TON of overthrown deep passes. A lot of incompletes and about zero passes where he 'threw open' the receiver. There were a lot of short routes and come backs that he hit. But from this video nothing impressed me. His running sucked too.

One reel isn't enough to put judgement on someone, but i wasn't impressed with him at all. It's funny the RGIII pole smoker here puts up a shitty highlight reel of his boyfriend and talks like he's the second coming. Without those receivers getting WIDE open down the field and a lucky pass or two, he had nothing...

If we pick a project QB, i'd gamble in the later rounds on Russel Wilson. That guy is smart, athletic, and throws his receivers open (something RGIII never did in this reel). His only knock is he is short but he did play with a huge offensive line. But may have a lot of balls batted down in the NFL.

I respect you USF but to say we should gamble with Russel Wilson instead of taking Robert Griffin is just plain crazy

I saw a QB perform like garbage under pressure, overthrow many deep balls, and get lucky on two passes that would have been picks on Sundays.

From :50 to 2:00 is what we should get used to seeing if he were to come to Cleveland. Oklahoma brought the pressure and Griffin made bad throws and bad decisions. Baylor had to rely on screens and QB runs to counter Oklahoma's defensive pressure. Once they started bringing only three/four rushers, Griffin was able to make plays.

His weaknesses are in full effect, he's not worthy of the #2 pick. This was the only game where he played a semi-valid defense, and for the most part...it showed.

Well, I did watch the whole video- and I'll say this- Griffin is way better than you think. Yeah, he missed some deep throws, so does Tom Brady. He has good pocket awareness, and throws lasers on his crossing routes. (Hello? WCO anyone?) Go fast forward to the last play of the game- Griffin runs left and tosses a perfectly thrown 40 yard touchdown bomb to his right. RGIII makes throws Colt can only dream about making. And when Griffin runs, he's still looking downfield to make a play- like a certain Pittsburgh quarterback we all hate.

FWIW, back in '99 I watched a bunch of Donovan McNabb reels, and thought he sucked too. Griffin in college is WAY better than what I saw out of McNabb.

I saw a QB perform like garbage under pressure, overthrow many deep balls, and get lucky on two passes that would have been picks on Sundays.

From :50 to 2:00 is what we should get used to seeing if he were to come to Cleveland. Oklahoma brought the pressure and Griffin made bad throws and bad decisions. Baylor had to rely on screens and QB runs to counter Oklahoma's defensive pressure. Once they started bringing only three/four rushers, Griffin was able to make plays.

His weaknesses are in full effect, he's not worthy of the #2 pick. This was the only game where he played a semi-valid defense, and for the most part...it showed.

Wrong- when Griffin started hitting passes over the top, the Okies had to back off. Hehe. I've seen this same act from Colt- only difference is, in the NFL defenses don't respect Colt's ability to beat them deep, so essentially that first two minutes of the Baylor game is what I saw out of McCoy all last year.

Help me Obi Wan (Jason J) you're my only hope. :)

Ok- if you want to pick apart RGIIIs game- compare his good stuff to Andrew Luck's in another thread. If Griffin were a couple of inches taller and 10 pounds heavier, him and Luck would be 1A and 1B. I saw a ton of throws in this clip I haven't seen Colt make in the last two years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15F_5DJXrC8

All I can say is, if you think RGIII should be the #1 pick, then go take your act and find some Colts board to blather to. Convince them. Maybe someone can convince them that Peyton Manning will still be their starting QB for 5 more years and that it is in their best interest to pass on taking a QB, that way both Luck and RG will fall to be picked up in the 2,3,4 slots.

I respect you USF but to say we should gamble with Russel Wilson instead of taking Robert Griffin is just plain crazy

I wasn't saying we should take him over rg3. I just meant get the best athlete at #4 and if we want a project qb in the later rounds aka round 4 or later that I believe he'd be a good gamble then. Just as a project.

From this game I don't believe rg3 is worth the #4 pick.

Well, I did watch the whole video- and I'll say this- Griffin is way better than you think. Yeah, he missed some deep throws, so does Tom Brady. He has good pocket awareness, and throws lasers on his crossing routes. (Hello? WCO anyone?) Go fast forward to the last play of the game- Griffin runs left and tosses a perfectly thrown 40 yard touchdown bomb to his right. RGIII makes throws Colt can only dream about making. And when Griffin runs, he's still looking downfield to make a play- like a certain Pittsburgh quarterback we all hate.

FWIW, back in '99 I watched a bunch of Donovan McNabb reels, and thought he sucked too. Griffin in college is WAY better than what I saw out of McNabb.

Yeah Brady misses a deep throw once in while. This kid was missing deep guys left and right.

If RGIII had been the Browns qb last year. ... he would have gotten his face planted into the turf often.

And he would have no receivers open to throw to, because Little would be double covered.

And he would have no running game without Hillis.

And, if the Browns trade up for RGIII... there goes Stephen Hill, and Claiborn or Richardson,

and Minnifield, and ...

RGIII is terrific. If he falls to the Browns at 4, they will draft him.

If RGIII had been the Browns qb last year. ... he would have gotten his face planted into the turf often.

And he would have no receivers open to throw to, because Little would be double covered.

And he would have no running game without Hillis.

And, if the Browns trade up for RGIII... there goes Stephen Hill, and Claiborn or Richardson,

and Minnifield, and ...

RGIII is terrific. If he falls to the Browns at 4, they will draft him.

Great statement.If this front office really believes in building through the draft then don't trade multiple picks for one player.

First things first, outside two blind passes, every throw he made was fantastic. He makes great decisions in the pocket. He read defenses accurately and made them pay with precision beams to his wideouts in full stride.

All the supposed 'weaknesses' RGIII has, this video dispels them. He comfortably took snaps under center and 'threw open' receivers in hot reads.

But more importantly, he displayed unparalleled composure that's obvious even though this game was played four months ago. Watching plays that include his incomplete passes gives you the sense of pace and steadiness he plays with.

I did not know composure deteriorates with time... Maybe it's only the unparalleled kind that does?

I watched the whole clip and can honestly say the only thing I saw which you mention is the one hot read. It convinced me that Kendall Wright is worth a closer look. And BTW he did not throw KW open in that hot read.

I knew you were a fan, but had no idea just how deep the Kool-aid was. Subjectivity is recipe for disaster...

Tell you what give me times of examples of your other points and I'll look again.

He's not a running QB

THAT I did become convinced of. His run play execution was awful. His broken field running on the other hand would strike fear in the heart of any DC. But it still looked to me that he was way too ready to run. Given the early beating he took that may be understandable.

But that PTG QB can shrug off guys or throw with them draped around his neck. No evidence of that with RG.

Did you watch his feet??? Way too "happy" IMO. Reminded me of the cockroach I flicked onto a Benihana griddle during my one and only visit to that chain over three-decades ago. Again given the beating he'd taken understandable, but not what you want to see... and not at all comparable to the bouncing Brady does.

As for his pocket awareness... looked more panicked to me than artful, calculated sliding. Just looked like, if you blitz him, then he's done for...

Mechanics-wise... way too reliant on his admittedly strong arm. There were times he's step and then throw a half beat later. Those throws were not pretty.

As for his throwback TD... yup he gottaway with one. But he tried three or four and that's way too undisciplined for the NFL where throwbacks are an open INT invitation. Aside form one sideline effort, it was also the only only example where he showed an ability to throw on the run... And the TD

Bottom line... I saw a kid who during the first half couldn't read a D and nearly got killed standing and running by blitzes. So in the 2nd half the coaches went full on spread O to reduce who he had to account for and then he ran through the gaps.

I saw nothing to reverse my original assessment that he's not the guy... not even at #4.

Archived