THE BROWNS BOARD

Hillis Says It Was All Lies - Sets The Record Straight

HowieDawg

Plain Dealer article

That rumour was so crazy if it is a pack of lies - and I think it probably was - I'd want to smash the guy who made it up really freaking hard in the throat. online media has made Hillis out to be a wacko all week and I think he is far from a wacko but a badly advised indecisive person who sadly has not made the right choices at the peak of his breakout fame window. I say sign him back at good value and let him hurt a few defences next season. I think he has plenty in the tank for us and I don't think the guy is mental.

Article by Mary Kay Cabot

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Browns running back Peyton Hillis told The Plain Dealer on Friday that a report stating he told Browns coaches he contemplated retiring as recently as the end of the season and pondered joining the CIA was absolutely false.

"It makes me sound insane," Hillis said.

Set to become an unrestricted free

agent March 13, Hillis said he thinks someone gave the story to ESPN to try to devalue him in free agency.

"That's ridiculous," he said. "I never one time mentioned anything to any coach about retirement or joining the CIA or anything like that. It's 100 percent false. I don't know who came up with a story like that, but they should've come up with a better one to make it sound more legit."

He acknowledged the report has hurt his reputation nationally -- that and the fact he fired his third agent in a year Wednesday.

"Someone is trying to downplay my name," he said. "I really don't cause a big ruckus. I pretty much keep my mouth quiet and go about my business. It was a rough year, and I expected to come out here and be prepared for free agency or whatever the case may be. Right now, to have this stuff kind of hanging over your head, especially when it's 100 percent false, it's kind of rough."

Hillis said coach Pat Shurmur saying Thursday night that he never heard anything about Hillis' retirement or joining the CIA proves his point.

"Whoever came up with the story should get their facts straight," he said.

"You'd think if one coach would know, the other would know. That tells you right there it's false."

He said he has also been portrayed as erratic because he fired Kennard McGuire, his third agent in a year, on the eve of free agency. Hillis has yet to decide on a new agent and must wait five business days before hiring one. McGuire was the agent who said he advised Hillis not to play with strep throat, which made some teammates feel it was a contract-related absence.

"My priority was to find an agent that could get a deal done with the Browns," said Hillis. "I've said all along that this was where I wanted to be, and I wanted to work with someone who had a good relationship with the Browns. We kept Kennard all year, but things weren't getting done between him and the Browns."

Hillis said he fired his first agent, Jimmy Sexton, because he was interested in more from the marketing side. "Jimmy was a great agent," he said. "There was nothing wrong. [but] with the whole Madden cover thing, if they hadn't reached my brother [and business manager], Kyle, I probably wouldn't be on the Madden 12 cover."

He said he then signed with Oklahoma-based agent Kelli Masters for a brief time.

"She had a good head on her shoulders and she worked really hard for me, but we felt at the time she hadn't done too many big contracts," Hillis said. "We felt like this was the biggest time of our lives, and we've got to make sure we had the right person going in. It was nothing against her."

Hillis said he showed up for training camp and tried not to talk at all about the contract, but that he kept getting asked about it. "My plan was just to come in, work hard and play hard like I always do," he said.

He said things all went downhill when he sat out the Miami game with strep.

"I showed up at [Cleveland Browns Stadium] sick, I had lost 15 pounds, I had a fever, I was throwing up and delirious and they sent me home," he said. "And before I knew it, people were questioning my toughness. The Browns were the ones that sent me home. That was really tough. I've played with broken ribs, a sprained [medial collateral ligament], a pulled hamstring and stuff like that. No matter how bad it made me look, I still played. After a while, it all took its toll. That was a really tough time."

Despite the tumultuous season, Hillis would love to return to the Browns, and Browns General Manager Tom Heckert confirmed this week they would re-sign him at the right price.

"I've always loved this city, and I still do love it, and I still want to play for the Cleveland Browns," Hillis said. "I'm not sure who wants me there and who doesn't want me there. It's out of my hands at this point. They've said they might want to re-sign me. If I was this horrible person, if I wasn't tough and if I was that big of a mental case, why would they still want to sign me?"

He said he would even take a hometown discount to remain here.

"Yeah, of course [i would]," he said. "It just depends on what they want to do. When free agency gets here, I'd love to hear them out."

He said he expects he will hit the free-agent market March 13 at 4 p.m.

"At this point, it looks like I'll have to," he said. "I heard they just franchised [kicker] Phil Dawson -- and I'm happy for him. I think they want me to test the free-agent market and see what I can do out there."

He said he's not sure which teams will be interested in him.

"I would think there would be [teams]," he said. "I think I've proven myself to be a hard-nosed back that can get the tough yardage, and I think some teams will appreciate that."

He said reports that he was asking for the moon were erroneous.

"It was nowhere near what people thought it was," he said. "I wasn't asking for $7 million a year. At one point, the Browns offered $25 million or $26 million over four or five years, but it was only about $1.2 million a year in the first three years. Then it was backloaded with a large amount that wasn't guaranteed. It wasn't the money, it's just how it was structured."

He said he knows he can put 2011 behind him and return to the Hillis that lit up Cleveland in 2010 with 1,177 rushing yards and 11 TDs on the ground.

"I love this game," he said. "I'm in the prime of my career. I think I have a lot of potential, and I don't see myself slowing down anytime soon. I'd love to get back in a Browns uniform, but wherever I go, I think I'll make a splash."

Obviously, there are folks out there trying to ruin his career. The bigger question is why? Maybe Adam Shefter from ESPN, who broke the "CIA" story can tell us why he did it......

I think it's because he's European American.

Everyone wants to bring whitey down.

Zombo

I think it's because he's European American.

Everyone wants to bring whitey down.

Zombo

This made me think about the dunk contest when the white guy jumped over Diddy. No cause a white guy jumped over Diddy, but because Diddy shouted BLACK POWER and did the old Black Panther fist bump and no one batted and eye. Think about what would happen if you were in a crowded place and you shouted out white power.

This made me think about the dunk contest when the white guy jumped over Diddy. No cause a white guy jumped over Diddy, but because Diddy shouted BLACK POWER and did the old Black Panther fist bump and no one batted and eye. Think about what would happen if you were in a crowded place and you shouted out white power.

Umm ... I was just kidding ... there's no race issue here.

I hope we re-sign Peyton, I like him. Especially on the power sweep.

Z

^ but it was a nice flush out...

Ya think maybe one of Hillis' jilted agents is whispering in some talking sport-heads' ears?

My guess is, the story is more a comment on Hillis' attitude. Remember when Hillis wasn't trying to rehab, but was

sitting alone on the bench like he couldn't care about the Browns less? I don't believe he loves the game...

and wants a big payday before he decides to not bother with football anymore. He certainly looked to me like

"I'm pouting because I play hard, and all I want is the money, then I'm going into acting, or the Bahamas"

There are other rb's in the draft who really would love a chance to show the Browns how much they love football.

I think you mistook what he said. Diddy didn't say "Black Power", he said "Black Powder". His face got brushed by the guy jumping over him and smudged some of his makeup....and the fist motion was not a "power" thing, but merely a signal to his cosmetologist to come out and take care of his foundation.

Umm ... I was just kidding ... there's no race issue here.

I hope we re-sign Peyton, I like him. Especially on the power sweep.

Z

You mean the White Power Sweep?

I agree. We should want to resign Hillis

And to the guy that said something about white power.... that and black power represent two completely different things. That's why you can't say it lol

Not really if you think about it. Both were and are racially segregated groups based on hate towards the other race. Shouting black power is no different than shouting white power except for the reaction you will see in other peoples faces after someone shouts it.

I think you mistook what he said. Diddy didn't say "Black Power", he said "Black Powder". His face got brushed by the guy jumping over him and smudged some of his makeup....and the fist motion was not a "power" thing, but merely a signal to his cosmetologist to come out and take care of his foundation.

Ha

You mean the White Power Sweep?

Forrest Gregg, Jim Ringo and Jerry Kramer blocking, Paul Hornung at HB, Jim Taylor at FB?

(Remember, in the 60s, it was the fullbacks that were the running backs, not the halfbacks, Taylor, Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, John Henry Johnson, Larry Csonka etc.

Forrest Gregg, Jim Ringo and Jerry Kramer blocking, Paul Hornung at HB, Jim Taylor at FB?

(Remember, in the 60s, it was the fullbacks that were the running backs, not the halfbacks, Taylor, Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, John Henry Johnson, Larry Csonka etc.

While Jim Brown played fullback, Leroy Kelly lined up as halfback when he replaced Jim Brown. Ernie Green switched from Brown's blocking halfback to Kelly's fullback. Bo Scott later played Fullback to Kelly's halfback as well.

Zombo

While Jim Brown played fullback, Leroy Kelly lined up as halfback when he replaced Jim Brown. Ernie Green switched from Brown's blocking halfback to Kelly's fullback. Bo Scott later played Fullback to Kelly's halfback as well.

Zombo

OK, so, there was your Black Power Sweep. Given the results of the era, the White Power Sweep got the better of the Black Power Sweep...not that the Black Power Sweep did poorly.

Or maybe it was Linguine Power that ruled that era. I.e. Lombardi served up a pretty good Italian dish.

Archived