THE BROWNS BOARD

Redskins Have Made A Deal?

quietpack

The Browns had a shot to take a chance to change the franchise and blew it.

If RG3 busted for us fuck it, we have sucked for years, take a god damn chance go down swinging with guns blazin what do we have to lose? 5-11 5-11 4-12?

If RG3 is the next big thing it'll go down as another "the drive" "the fumble" "the draft" and it's gonna hurt a hell of a lot more than losing a few draft picks.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man and i thought the consensus of the old timers on here knew football. for any 'one' team to FALL IN FUCKING LOVE with one guy THAT much is insane. why not go after a. luck if you want the best QB.

you guys must suck at stratego.

fuckin moonshine will do it to you everytime.

What is so hard to grasp about RGIII > John Beck and Rex Grossman? Say Vincent Jackson is getting the same offer from the Skins and the Browns. Same years, same bonus, same guaranteed money, same everything. So now he's looking at the team situation. Before the trade it was Grossman/Beck vs McCoy. Now it's RGIII vs McCoy. You don't think there's a difference there?

Anyway, to what I originally said about this freeing us up in free agency. On the Skins facebook page:

The following is a statement by Redskins general manager Bruce Allen and St. Louis Rams general manager Les Snead issued on Saturday:

“In order to execute each of our club’s plans for free agency and the upcoming draft, we have agreed to a trade between our two teams for the second pick in the 2012 draft. We will submit this trade to the NFL for approval."

man and i thought the consensus of the old timers on here knew football. for any 'one' team to FALL IN FUCKING LOVE with one guy THAT much is insane. why not go after a. luck if you want the best QB.

Because Indy isn't trading the pick?

Is this deal that much different than the Eli/Rivers trade? Do you think the Giants regret that trade?

What is so hard to grasp about RGIII > John Beck and Rex Grossman? Say Vincent Jackson is getting the same offer from the Skins and the Browns. Same years, same bonus, same guaranteed money, same everything. So now he's looking at the team situation. Before the trade it was Grossman/Beck vs McCoy. Now it's RGIII vs McCoy. You don't think there's a difference there?

Anyway, to what I originally said about this freeing us up in free agency. On the Skins facebook page:

Irrelevant, the Brown's front office is so stupid to hire a drunk cancer that is one problem away from missing a whole season.

Time will tell if the Redskins made the right decision, or the Browns. The 'Skins fans here have posited Shanny is such a great draft master they can live without all those high picks.

Time will tell if the Redskins made the right decision, or the Browns. The 'Skins fans here have posited Shanny is such a great draft master they can live without all those high picks.

I think we had something like 10 draft picks last season, and every single one of them played at some point. A few with major contributions (Kerrigan, Helu, Royster, etc). Obviously he's going to miss on some, but I trust him to pick up depth and the occasional major contributor later in the draft. Plus, as I said, we have $40-50 mil in cap space. That's why losing two 1sts doesn't kill me.

Which brings me to another question- What if Indy drafts Luck? U think Redskins will like the trade?

Huh? What if Indy DOESN'T take Luck you mean? Look, we haven't had a franchise QB since arguably Theisman (I'm not counting Rypien and his few good seasons). Whether we get Luck or RGIII, I'm gonna be happy as hell.

WE NEED TO GET INVOLVED IN FREE AGENCY NOW. There are some stub linemen in FA this year and we need to get come. Get some weapons on offense and then we can really start building. One QB was not going to do anything without some weapons. He would do even less without linemen.

Now you're just trolling.

I'm really not. The Browns front office does not sign FA who have character concerns (ie not know how fucked up you are before getting behind the wheel of a car and putting people in danger) to their team. They will take chances on draft picks if they believe that their shit is behind them (Taylor, Sheard, and Little all had character concerns last year in the draft) but they will not spend money on someone who have gotten in trouble in the NFL. That's not trolling, it's just fact. On the other hand the Redskins are notorious for bring in players like Jackson.

I think we had something like 10 draft picks last season, and every single one of them played at some point. A few with major contributions (Kerrigan, Helu, Royster, etc). Obviously he's going to miss on some, but I trust him to pick up depth and the occasional major contributor later in the draft. Plus, as I said, we have $40-50 mil in cap space. That's why losing two 1sts doesn't kill me.

You have the cap space from cutting how many over paid cancers that you signed to your team over the year... and your plan is to do it all over again. I will also admit you guys had a good draft last year, one on par with the Browns, but how were your drafts before last year? Don't base what will happen the next 3 years on last year.

WE NEED TO GET INVOLVED IN FREE AGENCY NOW. There are some stub linemen in FA this year and we need to get come. Get some weapons on offense and then we can really start building. One QB was not going to do anything without some weapons. He would do even less without linemen.

Won't happen. Heckert has already said we won't go crazy if FA, that it should be like it was the past two years. Go in FA thinking like that, and if we end up signing a really good FA, then you can be all excited about it, if we don't then it's just what we all expected.

I'll tell you that claiming an untested QB who hasn't even been drafted yet is the next best thing is stupid. And FA don't go places to play with un tested QB's.

Yeah, you're right. RG3 isn't better than Rex Grossman or Beck. You can wish all you want about us not getting free agents, that doesn't make it less likely to happen. Now that we have a legit QB, said FAs are more likely to sign with us. There's no denying that.

I'm really not. The Browns front office does not sign FA who have character concerns (ie not know how fucked up you are before getting behind the wheel of a car and putting people in danger) to their team. They will take chances on draft picks if they believe that their shit is behind them (Taylor, Sheard, and Little all had character concerns last year in the draft) but they will not spend money on someone who have gotten in trouble in the NFL. That's not trolling, it's just fact. On the other hand the Redskins are notorious for bring in players like Jackson.

But it has nothing to do with the point I was making. I was just using the Browns QB situation as an example. I don't give a shit about their front office and what type of players they like. That wasn't the point.

You have the cap space from cutting how many over paid cancers that you signed to your team over the year... and your plan is to do it all over again. I will also admit you guys had a good draft last year, one on par with the Browns, but how were your drafts before last year? Don't base what will happen the next 3 years on last year.

Why wouldn't I base my expectations going forward on what happened last year? Shanahan and Bruce Allen were here last year, not there five years ago. And your other point speaks to that. They cut the team cancers that had come in under a different regime. Every single player they drafted last year were seniors and half of them were team captains at their respective schools. They obviously value character. And fine, exchange Colston for Jackson. Again, just an example I trust them to make the right move.

So anyway, for everyone trying to hate on our trade--from Walter Football:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor

The Redskins will be a playoff-caliber team over the next 10 years because of this trade. They did not give up too much. No way. Three first-round picks and a second-rounder is the correct price for a franchise quarterback - especially one whom you don't have to give $50 million guaranteed to right away.

This was also a great trade for the Rams. They'll be in great position to improve their roster over the next few years with all of their first-round selections. In fact, the only losers in this deal are the teams in the NFC East, who will now have to deal with a quarterback who looks like he could be the next Steve Young, and the Browns. I'll get to them later.

*** OTHER 2012 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. None - The Redskins didn't trade up to No. 2 to take anyone but Young Griff.

4. Cleveland Browns: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

The Browns blew it. They absolutely blew it. They had a chance to move up for Robert Griffin in exchange for Nos. 4 and 22, as well as a first-rounder next year. That was the correct price to pay for a franchise quarterback. Mike Holmgren doesn't realize that for some reason, and that's why Cleveland will continue to dwell in the AFC North cellar.

This pick will be Ryan Tannehill if the Browns whiff on Matt Flynn or Kevin Kolb (per a Peyton Manning signing in Arizona). I'm going to assume that Holmgren will sign one of those guys. If he does, I believe he'll target Morris Claiborne. Holmgren loves drafting cornerbacks, and one could argue that the LSU defensive back is the top player available. Cleveland will have dual shutdown corners if Claiborne pans out, which really has to appeal to the former Packer and Seahawk coach.

*** OTHER 2012 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. Ryan Tannehill, QB - Tannehill will be the pick if the Browns can't do anything in free agency. No. 4 is way too early for him, but Holmgren won't have a choice.

2. Trent Richardson, RB - Special Agent Peyton Hillis is a free agent. Running backs shouldn't go this early in the NFL Draft, but Trent Richardson is the best prospect at the position since Adrian Peterson.

NOT Justin Blackmon, WR - Holmgren doesn't believe in drafting receivers this early. Besides, both Claiborne and Richardson are better prospects.

Also, between 1969 and 1990 the Redskins made a total of THREE 1st round picks (Art Monk, Mark May and Darrell Green). In that time we had four trips to the SB and three trophies (and of course another one in 1991). I think we'll survive losing two 1st round picks for our franchise QB.

Everything that you are saying WAS true with Vinny Cerrato as the GM. Now that there is a competent football GM in the front office, we have yet to sign an "overpaid cancer."

You keep spouting off stuff because you hope that it's still true, otherwise you'd have to admit the Skins are on the right track. You sound like Cowboys and Eagles fans trying to convince themselves the Skins aren't a threat.

Everything that you are saying WAS true with Vinny Cerrato as the GM. Now that there is a competent football GM in the front office, we have yet to sign an "overpaid cancer."

You keep spouting off stuff because you hope that it's still true, otherwise you'd have to admit the Skins are on the right track. You sound like Cowboys and Eagles fans trying to convince themselves the Skins aren't a threat.

Exactly.

You post on ES man?

Lol, I know you!! Too funny. What's up buddy? Great minds really do thinks alike.

Not too much. Got a couple friends who are Browns fans so I'm just trying to keep my thumb on the pulse. It's weird posting on both boards at the same time, need to keep my thoughts straight. :D

I woke up with a chub, great way to start the weekend!

The Rams are gonna surround Bradford with alot of high draft pick's via Washington. There gonna be tough in a few years. The Redskins lived up to their name...they got burnt....tan line looks good though.

I'm gonna break the trade down for some of you guys and maybe dispel a few misconceptions.

First off the Skins did not give up 3 1st rd picks. Whoever says that is a fucktard and can't count. Swapping picks means the Skins have 1,3,4,4,5,6,7 in this draft. A 2,3,4,5,5,6,7 in 2013 and 2,3,4,5,6,7 in 2014. By that time We will know whether RG3 is legit or not. If he is he will only be 24 and we are back to .normal amount of picks. These picks also do not take into account compensatory picks if we somehow lose Laron Landry and L.Fletcher. Also our 2nd rd DE from 2011 draft was hurt after a promising pre-season and missed the season so the way I see it our draft this year is complete in actual players. Add in the foresight to get way below the cap in FA year that is unprecedented in terms of quality and quantity and you see a smart plan coming together.

Second, it's a passing league now. You don't win championships or division titles without a franchise qb, consistently. You Brown fans should know that better than anyone. The Skins have been relatively bad for the last 20yrs. We have tried building a team from the trenches out then plug in a late 1st rd qb to manage the game. That chit rarely works and not for long. We tried the old vet.FA type, same chit. Look at Pittsburgh before Big Ben. Good team/great supporting cast but mired in mediocrity. Same for the Ravens while shuffling through the K. Boller types. I could go on about 0-16 to playoffs in 3yrs. after hitting on a qb...ahemmm Detroit. All this brings me to my last

point. Who besides Luck or RG3 in this years draft or FA is going to pull a desperate team out of the basement and that can provide long term success and consistency? All those who say if RG3 busts it puts the Skins behind 5 yrs is full of chit. What if Colt doesnt pan out this year and you have to draft one next year? Guess what genuis, by the time the rook gets a couple to see if he busts you will have spent the better part of 4yrs your own self with qbs who do not have the POTENTIAL that RG3 brings.

One more thing, drafting 1st rounders is not an exact science. For all I know our next 2 1st rd we would have drafted could be busts...like say Carlos Rogers,Lavar Arrington,Landry to a certain extent....anyways Im sure the Browns arent exactly batting a thousand with there picks either. Forget the old SKins you once knew. Our last 2 drafts by Allen and Shannahan has produced promising young players not drafted in the 1st.

Its heartwarming to see these Skins fans saying the things we've been saying after every draft.

Things like "We're no longer the same old Skins!" or "Playoffs, here we come!".

It makes RG3 busting all the more sweeter. I'm glad you guys prevented us from making a huge mistake.

Nice post RGIII in DC. You a poster on ES too?

Not too much. Got a couple friends who are Browns fans so I'm just trying to keep my thumb on the pulse. It's weird posting on both boards at the same time, need to keep my thoughts straight. :D

Yeah around free agency and draft time every year, I start checking out other team's boards. I don't normally post but people are mocking the trade all over the internets, and it's been killing me. I was dying to say something to someone, somewhere. It just happened to be here that a post motivated me to actually register and finally defend the Skins.

Plus, as residents of the DC area, I kinda feel like it's our duty to bring civilization to the masses. There's no reason Cleveland should be stuck in the '80's. It's just not fair.

Its heartwarming to see these Skins fans saying the things we've been saying after every draft.

It makes RG3 busting all the more sweeter. I'm glad you guys prevented us from making a huge mistake.

Good luck dropping $40 mil on Matt Flynn. He really showed a lot in his two career starts.

Jesus Christ this isn't a Redskins board. We get it you made the trade. Good for you. Now please fuck off. DC bringing civilization to anybody is comedy of the highest order. I'd expect that smug sense of self importance from a Texan, a New Yorker, or even a Californian but from DC? Please.

NO, actually, it's the BROWNS who better win some Titles. The Redskins are a more successful franchise than the Browns. They have given a lot for top picks before, AND it has broguth them success.

This is another thing people need to realize - it's not about having a shitload of high picks, otherwise your team would have won something this decade, and the 49ers would have won the 3rd of their 3 Super Bowls this year, instead of taking 5 years to break .500 in the shittiest division in football. It's about getting impact players, however you find them. Would people be talking shit about our big FA signings if they had worked out? Nope, don't think so. It's about picking the players correctly - which we did when we would trade first round picks for seemingly washed up guys like Marshall and Lachey, not about having 14 picks, which we did in 2008 drafting such stars as Devin Thomas and Justin Tryon.

Also

>texas

>civilization

haha thanks for the laugh

Jesus Christ this isn't a Redskins board. We get it you made the trade. Good for you. Now please fuck off. DC bringing civilization to anybody is comedy of the highest order. I'd expect that smug sense of self importance from a Texan, a New Yorker, or even a Californian but from DC? Please.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Metropolitan_Area

The Washington Metropolitan Area is the most educated and by some measures, the most affluent metropolitan area in the United States.[3]

And before you go off on some anti-wikipedia rant, they're called footnotes.

But yeah, I'm just trying to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

With Lebron leaving, I'm impressed that anarchy and cannibalism have been avoided. That shows that there is potential, but I think it's going to take a lot of hardwork to make sure it still doesn't get to that point; especially when it becomes apparent to all that you missed out on a franchise QB. Then it's going to be next to impossible to then get things going in a positive direction, but we can dream. One step at a time baby. One step at a time.

It's funny how the mood changes when you can't get him.

The big difference is now we have an elite QB. You still have McCoy (or Flynn).

All you get to do is HOPE RG3 busts, because otherwise you'll be eating a lot of crow.

Archived