THE BROWNS BOARD

How Good Is Brock Osweiler, Qb, Arizona State?

BrownIndian

Walter Football:

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State

Height: 6-7. Weight: 242.

Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

Hand: 9 7/8.

Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

3/5/12: Osweiler was moving up draft boards as teams prepared for the Combine. He hurt his climb by not working out in Indianapolis. Osweiler is going to need an impressive pro day to be the fourth quarterback selected. Brandon Weeden and Kirk Cousins are his competition, and they both worked out at the Combine.

Osweiler is big-armed pocket passer who has surprising mobility. The former basketball player has good athletic ability for being so tall. Looking at him, one would think he would be a statue in the pocket, but that is definitely not the case. As a junior this year, Osweiler completed 63 percent of his passes for 4,036 yards with 26 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also ran for 298 yards and three touchdowns. Osweiler set the school record for yards, completions and attempts. In 2010, he had only two starts, but played well, throwing for 797 yards and five touchdowns with zero interceptions while also running for 168 yards and a score.

Osweiler has real arm strength and the gun to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. He is very raw and needs some work. If Osweiler goes to a good coaching staff that can develop him for a few years, he could turn into something. It wouldn't be surprising if Osweiler's stock rises during the lead up to the draft. He should have stayed in school and improved before going pro.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Guy is ranked right behind Tannenhill? His physical skill set seems nice - hands + height. What do you guys think? Worthy of consideration?

Osweiler is a long term project. The trouble with long term projects is you are rarely in power long enough to develop one on a bad team. Eventually - through injury or incompetence - he's going to have to play.

Secondly, the way the draft cap is now... A project like Osweiler is a second round pick. The money for rookies is so team-friendly, that good teams start filling in their backup quarterbacks early on day two of the draft.

So if you're a bad team, you have to burn a second or third round pick on a guy that you don't want to play... Only to have him play too early, fail, and get run out of town with you, your coach, and possibly your team president.

Bad teams need players not projects. And make no bones about it, this Cleveland Browns team is a bad football team.

Now... All that said, Osweiler's going to need a significant overhaul to be NFL ready. He's a bit of a strider, heavy footed, with a lazy delivery. It's all to slow. He's got some accuracy problems, and is all over he place mechanically. Other than that, how'd you like he play Mrs. Lincoln?

I mean, he's big and strong, and that's about it. If you want a prospect late®, look at Foles or Cousins, they're a bit closer to being pro ready.

-jj

Osweiler is a long term project. The trouble with long term projects is you are rarely in power long enough to develop one on a bad team. Eventually - through injury or incompetence - he's going to have to play.

Secondly, the way the draft cap is now... A project like Osweiler is a second round pick. The money for rookies is so team-friendly, that good teams start filling in their backup quarterbacks early on day two of the draft.

So if you're a bad team, you have to burn a second or third round pick on a guy that you don't want to play... Only to have him play too early, fail, and get run out of town with you, your coach, and possibly your team president.

Bad teams need players not projects. And make no bones about it, this Cleveland Browns team is a bad football team.

Now... All that said, Osweiler's going to need a significant overhaul to be NFL ready. He's a bit of a strider, heavy footed, with a lazy delivery. It's all to slow. He's got some accuracy problems, and is all over he place mechanically. Other than that, how'd you like he play Mrs. Lincoln?

I mean, he's big and strong, and that's about it. If you want a prospect late®, look at Foles or Cousins, they're a bit closer to being pro ready.

-jj

Hmmm... JJ- we had a big, slow lead footed qb with a rifle arm once upon a time- Mr. Anderson I presume. Care to compare them?

Hmmm... JJ- we had a big, slow lead footed qb with a rifle arm once upon a time- Mr. Anderson I presume. Care to compare them?

Not quite as much arm but more athletic. Brock's a good deal more mobile. But he's less polished as a passer. Now I say that knowing that DA had some real trouble throwing the ball in the short and flat areas. Basically he had that one throw... Same arm slot, same foot poundage, whether it was going 6 yards or sixty in the air.

Osweiler is a little more varied in the way he delivers the ball... But he's equally in accurate to all fields. You could teach Brock, if you had the time. DA was doomed from the beginning.

-jj

INDIANAPOLIS — A few quick thoughts on Brock Osweiler after the Arizona State quarterback passed through Lucas Oil Stadium's media workroom:

He wants to own the height issue. Most NFL quarterbacks fall between 6-foot-2 and 6-6. Osweiler measured 6-6 and seven-eighths, a height that could suggest diminished athleticism. Osweiler dismissed comparisons to Dan McGwire. Osweiler: "I don't think there has ever been a quarterback who was 6-7, 240 pounds and had the athleticism that I do and can make every throw on the football field. I ignored all those comparisons and just played football the way I was taught to."

The basketball analogies hold up. Osweiler reneged on a basketball commitment to Gonzaga when choosing to play football at Arizona State. Osweiler: "In basketball, to be a successful player, you have to have great footwork. Obviously, as a quarterback in the pocket, to evade rushers and blitzers and get the ball off, you have to have great feet. Basketball, as far as the footwork, has definitely transitioned over to my football game, as well as the vision. On the basketball court, you can be pushing it up the court and bringing it up on the side and you have to see somebody off to the corner and make a throw down the lane. Same thing as playing quarterback. You are sliding in the pocket and looking for alleys to get the ball down the field."

Mechanics in mind. Osweiler said he continually works on his delivery: "We've been focusing a lot on making sure that my elbow is constantly above my shoulder, that I’m following through and using all the torque that I have with my big frame."

Inexperience works against him. Osweiler's stated mission at the combine is to convince teams 15 college games was enough to prepare him.

Spread offense concerns. NFL teams are assuming more spread tendencies, perhaps taking the edge off concerns over how college prospects will adapt to pro-style offenses. Osweiler: "Playing in a spread offense that throws the football a lot, I think it teaches you to manage the football game because the ball is in your hands to make a play 90 percent of the time. Even in the run game, you have having to make decisions on the fly."

Osweiler has a pro day workout March 30. He's resting a foot injury at the combine and will not participate in workouts while in Indianapolis. He's a quarterback to keep in mind for Seattle after the first round.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/54321/wrapping-up-saturday-with-brock-osweiler

INDIANAPOLIS — A few quick thoughts on Brock Osweiler after the Arizona State quarterback passed through Lucas Oil Stadium's media workroom:

He wants to own the height issue. Most NFL quarterbacks fall between 6-foot-2 and 6-6. Osweiler measured 6-6 and seven-eighths, a height that could suggest diminished athleticism. Osweiler dismissed comparisons to Dan McGwire. Osweiler: "I don't think there has ever been a quarterback who was 6-7, 240 pounds and had the athleticism that I do and can make every throw on the football field. I ignored all those comparisons and just played football the way I was taught to."

The basketball analogies hold up. Osweiler reneged on a basketball commitment to Gonzaga when choosing to play football at Arizona State. Osweiler: "In basketball, to be a successful player, you have to have great footwork. Obviously, as a quarterback in the pocket, to evade rushers and blitzers and get the ball off, you have to have great feet. Basketball, as far as the footwork, has definitely transitioned over to my football game, as well as the vision. On the basketball court, you can be pushing it up the court and bringing it up on the side and you have to see somebody off to the corner and make a throw down the lane. Same thing as playing quarterback. You are sliding in the pocket and looking for alleys to get the ball down the field."

Mechanics in mind. Osweiler said he continually works on his delivery: "We've been focusing a lot on making sure that my elbow is constantly above my shoulder, that I’m following through and using all the torque that I have with my big frame."

Inexperience works against him. Osweiler's stated mission at the combine is to convince teams 15 college games was enough to prepare him.

Spread offense concerns. NFL teams are assuming more spread tendencies, perhaps taking the edge off concerns over how college prospects will adapt to pro-style offenses. Osweiler: "Playing in a spread offense that throws the football a lot, I think it teaches you to manage the football game because the ball is in your hands to make a play 90 percent of the time. Even in the run game, you have having to make decisions on the fly."

Osweiler has a pro day workout March 30. He's resting a foot injury at the combine and will not participate in workouts while in Indianapolis. He's a quarterback to keep in mind for Seattle after the first round.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/54321/wrapping-up-saturday-with-brock-osweiler

Thanks, sounds like a project with a capital "P". If he's still there low fourth round (doubt he will be) worth a shot. We already have Colt McProject on the team. :)

Well, just like once upon a time taking a black QB was considered risky business, taking either a too tall or too short of a QB is still considered risky business.

Should that be the case? I think being too short is still a detriment, but perhaps Brock "Too Tall" Osweiler can break the mold or preconception that a too tall QB is also a detriment to have on your team.

Well, just like once upon a time taking a black QB was considered risky business, taking either a too tall or too short of a QB is still considered risky business.

Should that be the case? I think being too short is still a detriment, but perhaps Brock "Too Tall" Osweiler can break the mold or preconception that a too tall QB is also a detriment to have on your team.

Gips, I think the reason we haven't seen any "too tall" quarterbacks in the NFL is by the time you grow up to be 6'8" and are super athletic- it's not Rocket Science to figure out your pro future is in the NBA- way more money to be made, and not 1\2 as hard on your body. :)

yea, bring him in to the 'cleveland browns qb development program' so they can piss away more of their draft picks on

qb's teetering on the verge of mediocrity. when.....when will this football madness ever end? i swear, sometimes i think

God purposely made me a Browns fan to punish me for being an asshole.

Gips, I think the reason we haven't seen any "too tall" quarterbacks in the NFL is by the time you grow up to be 6'8" and are super athletic- it's not Rocket Science to figure out your pro future is in the NBA- way more money to be made, and not 1\2 as hard on your body. :)

Except a few of those guys have become tight ends. Both Tony Gonzales and Antonio Gates were damn good power forwards.

In fact, if I recall, Gates didn't even play college football, did he?

And, in fact, usually the taller guys were too slow and gangly to play QB, but perhaps Osweiler breaks the mold.

Even LBFuckface contemplated a career as an NFL TE or WR.

Except a few of those guys have become tight ends. Both Tony Gonzales and Antonio Gates were damn good power forwards.

In fact, if I recall, Gates didn't even play college football, did he?

And, in fact, usually the taller guys were too slow and gangly to play QB, but perhaps Osweiler breaks the mold.

Even LBFuckface contemplated a career as an NFL TE or WR.

Ya Gates only played basketball, but he was pretty good. He was on the Kent team that lost to Indiana in the Elite Eight.

I'm sure Cribbs would have liked him on the football field with him though!

on the awesome scale he is about 0 awesomness

All the kid throws are damn screen passes and he has the ugliest throw i have ever seen in my life has crappy hands and will never be a starting QB in the NFL ever! ever i'm talking ever...after drafting him a team would rather pick some guy out from the bleacher section to QB for a day. in fact he ranks probably around a 9 on the terrible please god do not pick this "QB" scale. I would rather pick muggsy bogues to play qb.

Archived