THE BROWNS BOARD

Manning Derby

BendMeOver

Unless I'm overlooking a thread this forum, you guys are rather hush, hush over Peyton Manning. I'm guessing it's because your front office isn't interested in paying big bucks for Manning? Financially the Browns are amongst the teams with the most money to spend and you do have to spend money this year (to get in the 90% cap. minimum). The Browns have a solid O-line to protect a QB, which Manning needs. You can (as discussed ad naseum) upgrade your wide reciever core if you pursue Wallace (because you can make an offer the Steelers can't match). Manning's tight end is available and probably part of the overall Manning package. You spoke highly of a wide reciever drafted last year (can't remember his name atm). Plus you have Hillis. So offensively you can attract Manning. RG3 is definately off the table for you (giving up 3-1st rounders and more is silly to move up 4 spots, but Snyder will never learn). So why isn't there more Manning talk? With Manning you are an instant contender, without him, you are looking at another dismal season.

NOTE: I really wanted to see the Browns land RG3 because quite frankly, I want to see the games between the Browns and Steelers mean something. Without a QB the Browns are an AFC speed bump, and while we appreciate the 2 free wins every year it doesn't make for a great game to watch.

Unless I'm overlooking a thread this forum, you guys are rather hush, hush over Peyton Manning. I'm guessing it's because your front office isn't interested in paying big bucks for Manning? Financially the Browns are amongst the teams with the most money to spend and you do have to spend money this year (to get in the 90% cap. minimum). The Browns have a solid O-line to protect a QB, which Manning needs. You can (as discussed ad naseum) upgrade your wide reciever core if you pursue Wallace (because you can make an offer the Steelers can't match). Manning's tight end is available and probably part of the overall Manning package. You spoke highly of a wide reciever drafted last year (can't remember his name atm). Plus you have Hillis. So offensively you can attract Manning. RG3 is definately off the table for you (giving up 3-1st rounders and more is silly to move up 4 spots, but Snyder will never learn). So why isn't there more Manning talk? With Manning you are an instant contender, without him, you are looking at another dismal season.

NOTE: I really wanted to see the Browns land RG3 because quite frankly, I want to see the games between the Browns and Steelers mean something. Without a QB the Browns are an AFC speed bump, and while we appreciate the 2 free wins every year it doesn't make for a great game to watch.

Our GM already said we are not pursuing him, dumbshit.

Back to the Stiller board with ya.

Zombo

please learn what the rules actually are.....please.

Is there a Minimum Salary?

Answer:Yep. Under the new CBA, The cap for 2011 is $120.375M per team. Each team must average $119.2 M. That is a league-wide average not an individual team minimum. League-wide, teams must spend 99% of the cap in 2011 and 2012. In 2013 and beyond, they must spend 95% of the cap. In the event that player costs are less than this overall league minimum, then, on or before April 15 of the next League Year, the NFL shall pay an amount equal to such deficiency directly to the players.

In terms of minimum salary for each team, the salary floor is 89% of the cap. However, that does not start until 2013. Hence, there is in essence no salary floor in 2011 or 2012. (Note this point, as there is plenty of misinformation about this running rampant in the press!)

More specifically, beginning in 2006 each team had to pay a guaranteed Minimum Team Salary of 84% of the Salary Cap. Each year that percentage goes up by 1.2%, which means that it is 86.4% this season. However, the Minimum Team Salary cannot extend beyond 90% of the Salary Cap. Any shortfall in the Minimum Team Salary at the end of a league year has to be paid, on or before April 15 of the next league year, by the team(s) having such shortfall, directly to the players who were on that team's roster at any time during the season.

I think a lot of things needed to be in place for Peyton to "consider" a team:

1. Front office/coach that he knows well and can get along with. Denver/AZ fit

2. A team that will let him run the offense the way he wants to. Browns don't fit.

2. Decent weather/dome. That is why AZ is high on his list. Miami will be as well.

3. All pieces in place except the QB. Miami, Denver, AZ may in fact be those places.

4. Or, as AJ Smith of the Chargers said: Why ask Peyton, it is Archie who will decide where he goes.

Despite that last jab, it doesn seem that the primary 3 are AZ/Denver/Miami. For some reason I don't think PM cares all that much for Seattle or Pete Carroll.

I think Gipper nailed most of the reasons- but I'll add in the Browns FO wants to build for the long haul- and not just keep putting bad-aids on a situation- though Manning is a pretty big band-aid. Realistically, even if 100% how many great years does Manning have left in him? 3?

Some of the board are glad we didn't overspend- giving up an extra couple first round picks plus a second to move up two spots would have been nuts. Looking back three years, those Browns picks would have been Alex Mack, Joe Haden, and Phil Taylor. League wide with 20\20 hindsight, the Redskins could potentially have had Julio Jones, Jason Pierre Paul, and Brian Cushing with the picks they are giving up. . Don't know about you, but I think I'd take the last 3 over RGIII, even if he turns into the next Joe Montana.

We've got no choice now but to go the Steelers route- get everything in place, and draft the franchise qb last.

I think Gipper nailed most of the reasons- but I'll add in the Browns FO wants to build for the long haul- and not just keep putting bad-aids on a situation- though Manning is a pretty big band-aid. Realistically, even if 100% how many great years does Manning have left in him? 3?

Some of the board are glad we didn't overspend- giving up an extra couple first round picks plus a second to move up two spots would have been nuts. Looking back three years, those Browns picks would have been Alex Mack, Joe Haden, and Phil Taylor. League wide with 20\20 hindsight, the Redskins could potentially have had Julio Jones, Jason Pierre Paul, and Brian Cushing with the picks they are giving up. . Don't know about you, but I think I'd take the last 3 over RGIII, even if he turns into the next Joe Montana.

We've got no choice now but to go the Steelers route- get everything in place, and draft the franchise qb last.

If you were absolutelygoddamguaranteed that one of these guys turns into Joe Montana...then sure, you probably do give up what was being asked. But, as my recent post indicates, you have about a 50% chance of him being a complete bust...or at least a major underachiever...and only about a 13% chance that he would become a Hall of Fame caliber QB.

(Besides, recall.....the 49ers only needed a third round pick to get Montana ;)

Denver can't be high on his list of destinations if he wants a warm weather team. The weather in Denver is generally worse (colder, snowier) than the weather in Cleveland.

If Manning has say 3 good years left in him, those are still 3 pretty damn good years. Were I a GM, I'd rather have one of the best QBs in the league (in his final Favre years) than some other washed up scrub (Kolb, Hasselbeck) to evaluate where I stand from my draft picks. If you don't win, or make progress your chance of GMing in the next season greatly diminishes. As for Shurmur, giving up some play-calling control to Manning for victories should be a no brainer. Especially, when as a coach you failed to demonstrate your offensive genius in your first year.

I agree the Redskins made a crazy offer to get RG3, and sadly RG3 will probably be out on the streets in 2015 after the draft debacle Snyder just created. I'm more shocked that reports are stating the Browns were close to matching Snyder's offer (3-1sts and a 2nd rounder is way too much to move up 2 draft spots). Anyways, by not even trying to lure Manning to Cleveland, your staff seriously tells me that they aren't interested in making the Browns contenders this year. They will add more pieces, but your chances of finding the general to lead those pieces isn't good unless you compete for the worst record in 2012. Sadly you'll probably waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on another Colt McCoy or Brady Quinn type QB.

Denver can't be high on his list of destinations if he wants a warm weather team. The weather in Denver is generally worse (colder, snowier) than the weather in Cleveland.

If Manning has say 3 good years left in him, those are still 3 pretty damn good years. Were I a GM, I'd rather have one of the best QBs in the league (in his final Favre years) than some other washed up scrub (Kolb, Hasselbeck) to evaluate where I stand from my draft picks. If you don't win, or make progress your chance of GMing in the next season greatly diminishes. As for Shurmur, giving up some play-calling control to Manning for victories should be a no brainer. Especially, when as a coach you failed to demonstrate your offensive genius in your first year.

I agree the Redskins made a crazy offer to get RG3, and sadly RG3 will probably be out on the streets in 2015 after the draft debacle Snyder just created. I'm more shocked that reports are stating the Browns were close to matching Snyder's offer (3-1sts and a 2nd rounder is way too much to move up 2 draft spots). Anyways, by not even trying to lure Manning to Cleveland, your staff seriously tells me that they aren't interested in making the Browns contenders this year. They will add more pieces, but your chances of finding the general to lead those pieces isn't good unless you compete for the worst record in 2012. Sadly you'll probably waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on another Colt McCoy or Brady Quinn type QB.

Denver actually has pretty decent weather. Its considered a high altitude desert. It doesn't get nearly as much snow as most would think and definitely not as much as Northeast Ohio. I don't think you're taking into account the most important factor, Manning doesn't want to come to Cleveland. He's looking for a team that can compete and have a legit chance at a Super Bowl. A team that's in perpetual rebuilding/building mode isn't going to entice him. Throw in the weather and divisional opponents and there's no possibility he'll look at the Browns, much less join them. He refused to even talk to the Seahawks and they are much more enticing then the Browns.

If we don't go after Flynn (God I hope not, I see Scott Mitchell II in the works) and we continue to suck (hey with another great draft and Colt at the controls we may finish 7-9) and be picking in the 10-12 range. Browns fans will just have to hope we get relatively lucky like the Steelers did and find another Rothlisberger there at #9 (you can sacrifice a second rounder to move up a few spots if you have to) or hope you find the next Aaron Rodgers free falling down into the 20s. That's not ancient history, so it could happen again.

(God I hope not, I see Scott Mitchell II in the works)

why? break down the similarities please.

i hope its better than "i have a feeling", cause not every aspiring starter moving up from backup becomes mitchell. mitchell was an exception...hence why everyone remembers him.

relying on luck.....psht

Ben Roethlisberger was selected with the #11th pick and not the #9th pick. Buffalo had tried to negotiate several trades to move up ahead of the Steelers to nab Ben Roethlisberger, but those teams did not want to lose the guys they were targeting.

In terms of where Manning wants to play vs. where he doesn't. Cleveland hasn't (to my knowledge) throw it's hat in the Manning ring. H&H should at least try to build fan sympathy for Manning (like they have over RG3) and said hey we wanted Manning but he rejected us.

Pittsburgh may be headed for a down year in 2012. The purge of our aging defensive stars have begun, and we don't have the cash to sign free agents. Colbert has drafted solidly (especially in the 1st and 2nd rounds) over his tenure and hopefully the defensive players he's selected will pay dividends. I'm not really happy with the contract they offered Timmons. While he is a decent player, he wasn't good enough to warrant the 50M+ contract they signed him too. Based on 2011, the NFC North does look like a difficult division to win with Cleveland, but you do have some pieces in place to win games with Manning.

Baltimore have to be AFC North Division favorites. But like the Steelers they have many key older players who are past there prime. Flacco still has trouble with the big games, and wasn't really impressive vs. Browns/Bengals in 2011. Then again the AFC does employ alot of the 3-4 defense, which has presented Manning with a bit more trouble than the 4-3 over the years.

In addition to Manning you could've made bold moves in the Wide Reciever core, of which Cleveland has done nothing. Signing a top name WO, could've got Mannings attention. Your defense is pretty good and your running back had shown flashes of greatness 2 years ago. Plus, as I've said, you have a pretty stout offensive line, which to me has to be one of the major factors for Manning. It does him no good to join a play-off calibre team only to get killed by a sub-par O-line.

Mannings best shot at winning a super bowl has to be joining the SF 49'ers. They have offensive weapons, the have a defense, and they have a good coach. Imagine how good that team would've been with Manning at it's helm in 2011. Yet there has been no talk of Manning to SF. If Manning goes to AZ, he'll have to go through them to win the division, while AZ would be one of 3 speed bumps if he goes to SF.

Denver makes alot of sense. The Chargers are thought to be the class of that division, yet they find ways to screw it up year after year, and with Norv there look for more of the same. KC and Oak aren't exactly fearsome opponents. Denver, like SF, has the potential to really cruise to a bye week with Manning at the helm.

Tennessee also makes alot of sense for Manning. He's familar with that division, and he's owned the teams in it. TT finished second in the division with Hasselbeck at the helm. The Texans defense will probably take a hit this year, but regardless, Manning can still outwit them.

If I were Manning, I would go to SF if I wanted to win a super bowl (more than I wanted I big payday). If I wanted a big payday and a chance to be a contender, there's alot of other teams I would consider. If the Browns were offering a big payday, they do have some pieces in place that would interest me.

Looks like the 49ers changed their minds about Manning.

They signed Moss, who I believe despite his mental issues could still be a top 5 receiver if he wants to be.

called this in jan. no brainer if u ask me. at least two sbs.

Archived