THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Mangini just a stop gap?

hammertime

I dont think lerner works that way..he obviously believes mangini is the answer and at worst mangini can build our identity and character on the field over a couple years and has the experience to help shape a real working FO structure which is still currently a shambles...keenan? i have never seen such a nervous looking president on camera and we need a strrong fan pr guy and chud/scherer/tucker have got to go..

I really like mangini he hit on a lot of things in his press conference i needed to hear i like his work ethic and his firmness i have a great feeling about him overall...i didnt care to much about him considering bringing romeos fat ass back he is not what this defense needs to get in gear..ryan is the better choice imo...And has been told he can leave oakland before his contract expires tuesday..go get him Eric!

Mangini obviously forgot how things work around here its not...go browns eric...its..GO BROWNS!! Woof Woof Woof!

With a piss poor selection of coaching available could the Browns be biding their time with this hire?

Is next year the bumber crop of gm's and coaches?

Hell no.

He's the guy.

Lerner finally found his football man.

He's the right age, right experience, right temperament.

Lerner wants to stick this guy in for 15 years and compete with the big boys once and for all.

On the surface Palmer-Davis-Crennel-Mangini looks like "softie, hard-ass, softie, hard-ass" ... but I think Mangini is the right mix. He is a disciplinarian but with a personality and sense of humor .. and he's young enough be full of passion and energy for the game.

He loves schemes, loves coaching, loves eating and breathing football.

Palmer and Crennel never had any real power, they weren't real head football coaches in my book. Palmer was like the overwhelmed bookkeeper that suddenly found himself CPA of a large corporation, and Romeo was like your favorite uncle that let you smuggle beer out of the fridge ... both very likable, neither of them instilled fear or motivation in the players.

Davis was not even likable. Like Savage, I think he was given too much power that he hadn't earned. He was always blaming someone else, or something else, when he was in charge of everything. By the end of the third year, players saw through him and didn't respect him.

I think with Mangini we will finally have ... accountability.

Mangini to me is like a more likable, young Bill Parcels. Eat, drink, sleep football ... win turnover battle, manage the game, be accountable. If you get 20 sacks a year like Lawrence Taylor .... you get away with shit. If you drop passes every week like Braylon Edwards ... you get a warm seat on the bench to think about what the xxxx you are doing.

I think if we get rid of Winslow, that is a huge mistake. I think he will love playing for Mangini, like Keyshawn did for Parcels. Guys like that may have big mouths, but they want everybody else on the field to be as focused and accountable as they are.

This is going to sound Sheplike ... but I also think Brady Quinn is the ultimate Parcels tree QB. He is like a fiery Pennington with a real arm.

Lerner said he went out and found the "best football man he could find" and I think he's right. I'm glad we didn't wait around with our thumb up our ass while the Senior bowl and scouting camps were going on.

I still can't get past the report that when Lerner was announcing Romeo's firing, he had no idea Mangini had been let go, and when the press told him, his eyes lit up.

We always say we want an owner, and a coach, who care as much as we do. For the first time, I think Randy Lerner trusted his instinct and got who he perceived as the best guy for the job, and we have a coach who understands the idea of being the coach of the Cleveland Browns, and absolutely loves and appreciates the challenge.

Zombo

--screw the playoffs ... I'm ready for the draft and for the 2009 schedule to come out.

With a piss poor selection of coaching available could the Browns be biding their time with this hire?

I'm having a hard time calling this selection of coaching "piss poor." Cowher, Shanahan and Schottenheimer are huge targets. Despite Cowher and Schott not really being interested, everybody has a price. There's also a slew of some of the most attractice assistant coaches I've seen in a while, including Spags, Rex Ryan, and McDaniels.

That's not to say Mangini is a bad pick compared to them. Most people who are in the loop think he just got a raw deal in New York and that he's actually a good young coach. I personally see a ton of Belicheck in him. He'll be good as long as he doesn't play too much of a prevent defense.

I'm having a hard time calling this selection of coaching "piss poor." Cowher, Shanahan and Schottenheimer are huge targets. Despite Cowher and Schott not really being interested, everybody has a price. There's also a slew of some of the most attractice assistant coaches I've seen in a while, including Spags, Rex Ryan, and McDaniels.

That's not to say Mangini is a bad pick compared to them. Most people who are in the loop think he just got a raw deal in New York and that he's actually a good young coach. I personally see a ton of Belicheck in him. He'll be good as long as he doesn't play too much of a prevent defense.

apart from first time coaches, who will take almost any first chance they get, no one is beating down doors to come to our beloved town.

cowher was never coming, neither was shotti. Shannahan wasn't coming this year, the pickings apart from assistants was slim.

if mangini is genuine about wanting to be here then i feel he can lead this team..

• 9 months later...

I think somebody hit you upside the head................with a hammer.

Randy boy gave the keys to the franchise to Mangini. If he is not in Cleveland next year, it will be against plan.

I really don't think Lerner woulda gave Mangini a 4 year deal if he planned on firing him after one year. If Lerner is just throwing money way like that, where is the line? I'd like some.

It's been reported in more than a few media outlets that players are telling their agents "anywhere but Cleveland" - though how much of that is due to Mangini alone is up for debate.

I'd think that Lerner would take note of that, as well as the performance of Mangini, and of his personnel decisions - bringing in players who are worse than those he let go... passing on Mark Sanchez at #5... decisions on who to name GM as well as OC... and determine whether the Head Coach and defacto GM deserves to keep his job.

Sure it'd be a financial hit - but in the NFL everyone knows that regardless of contract, everyone needs to perform or they're gone... whether its a coach, player or front office position.

So if the grass appears greener elsewhere and it continues to remain clear that Mangini has made things worse, not better, I can't see how Lerner would be hurting himself by making a change after the season (if not sooner). Giving Mangini the ability to continue to make bad personnel decisions with high draft picks is only going to make things worse... (I can just see him trading away the #1 pick for Vernon Gholston and some "magic beans" that will transform the Browns into a real NFL franchise.)

At the very least a new coach can give a team a big boost, breathe new life into a depressed fanbase, and might attract better free agents. Mangini certainly never brought that with him at the time of his hiring.

I think it's real easy to sit here and say that passing on Sanchez was a huge mistake 6 months after the draft and after seeing how putrid our offense has been.

What team would really draft a QB in round 1 when you have a QB like Anderson making what he's making (and he did have the 2007 season) and Quinn who looks every bit the part of being a franchise QB up till the season started.

Even if we had stayed at #5, we weren't drafting Sanchez.

If it is the case, I would say get Ditka. Only joking everyone we should make a rule on not hiring any coaches who made it on a coors light commercial.

and Quinn who looks every bit the part of being a franchise QB up till the season started.

I was with you 'til there. What part of Quinn's NFL career made it appear as though he was a franchise QB? Remember, we're talking someone who's completion percentage almost made it to 50% and had an even TD to Int ratio prior to this year.

Gotta admit, he'd have been an awesome Bryl Creme spokesperson if this was the 1960s.

I was with you 'til there. What part of Quinn's NFL career made it appear as though he was a franchise QB? Remember, we're talking someone who's completion percentage almost made it to 50% and had an even TD to Int ratio prior to this year.

Gotta admit, he'd have been an awesome Bryl Creme spokesperson if this was the 1960s.

That should've said he looked like he would be a franchise QB based on his college numbers and he did have a decent first 2 games before the injury. Obviously this season he has looked a lot like Charlie Frye but going into this season, most NFL experts all assumed that he was ready to be an NFL starter and lead the team.

That's why I would say that back in April, there was no way in hell we were drafting Sanchez and it's awfully easy to sit back now and say that it was a mistake to not draft him.

Mangini isn't getting dumped after this year for any reason other than he gets downright insubordinate with Lerner or is caught as a sex slave trader.

Lerner made a point to detail the process in which he selected his new coach. To dump him this soon who be the same as saying the process was flawed, which i don't think it was. It may turn out to be the wrong hire, but the process in which Lerner followed to make the hire was sound.

Mangini gets axed next season if we are floundering at mid season.

Rumors are Jeff Fisher of titans might also get the marching orders at the end of this season. how would u rate him ?

fisher is about an 8. he would be great to have on any team. he doesn't take anyone's crap and he knows how to build a team. yeah they suck this year but look at their positives. he knew how good haynesworth would be and look at that running game. johnson is the best in the league this year, not ap. i just don't think fisher would want to come to such a mess like this. although maybe those draft picks could persuade him.

I think the only way he would get fired is if he pulled a Cam Cameron and went 1-15 then got booted after his first year.

it is scary how possible 1-15 actually is...maybe Mangini won't last past this season...I'd like to think we are a little more patient than that, but I know better.

• 1 month later...

Archived