THE BROWNS BOARD

Will Mangini Coax Favre to Come to the Browns as he did with the Jets?

JoeSixPat

I noticed on quite a few threads this odd belief that some Browns fans have that Mangini was opposed to bringing in Brett Favre to the Jets.

Quite the opposite - Mangini is not only on the record as a big proponent of such a move last summer, he also pledged to name his son after Brett in an effort to lock down the deal.

I'm sure you guys discussed this in great detail before the hire went down, as it relates to Mangini's personnel moves and his responsiblity for a defacto 8-8 record after spending $140 million in offseason aquisitions and having the benefit of the healthiest team in the NFL. But in case you didn't here's one of many news stories.

So the question I'm asking is whether you think Mangini will again coax Favre - who is still making noise about wanting to start - to play for the Browns.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3636994

Mangini committed to using the middle name, Brett, when he and the Jets were trying to get Favre to come to New York in the summer.

"Well, the history behind that," Mangini explained, "is all my kids have middle names that are related to people that have been important to me in my football career."

So, when the Jets were recruiting the NFL's career leader in touchdown throws, Mangini made the middle name a negotiating chip.

"I explained that history and explained that we were pregnant with our third child," Mangini said. "I really believed that he could be an instrumental part in another good year and an important part of my football life and I would commit to Zack Brett Mangini at that point. That was part of our terms, and we stuck with it."

Guest Masters

Jesus, Patriots boards must be as boring as Steelers boards.

You must have missed the reports of Brett being all bitter about Mangini calling him out several times in front of the entire team for his picks down the stretch of the season.

Jesus, Patriots boards must be as boring as Steelers boards.

You must have missed the reports of Brett being all bitter about Mangini calling him out several times in front of the entire team for his picks down the stretch of the season.

I think you're missing the point. The point isn't whether Mangini was surprised that Brett Favre turned out to be a quarterback prone to interceptions (and in all fairness, who could have seen THAT coming)

It's that Mangini not only wasn't opposed to bringing in Brett Favre - and he wasn't just begrudgingly in favor of it - he felt it was such an important signing that he actually NAMED HIS SON Brett in an effort to convince Favre to sign with the Jets

Now if Browns fans want to delude themselves now that Mangini was opposed to the move, and that he bears no responsibility for Jets personnel decisions thats fine.

But now that Lerner has announced that HE will be the one to make final calls, I'm only doing you guys a favor if I'm the first to publicly put Lerner on notice that he needs to be on the lookout for these types of moves.

Mangini wanted Favre - it can't be denied. And in doing so Mangini let his existing and much cheaper QB move to a DIVISION RIVAL where he led a 1-15 team to a 11-5 season that had them win the Division and go to the playoffs.

Maybe Lerner knows this and supports these sorts of personnel moves by Mangini. Maybe he didn't do his homework and hired Mangini anyway. But Lerner's making the final call on personnel moves and needs to be wary of this sort of thing.

The real irony here is that Mangini stated that Favre was going to be important to his football career. Obviously that was true - he got him fired from the Jets - and that in turn got him hired by the Browns.

Let's hope for Brown fans that all of this turns out to be a POSITIVE move for Mangini's football career, and not the final flush of a coaching career and propsects for a once proud franchise.

Fcuk you for even insinuating this.

And I heard Belichick doesn't want to bring Cassel back at that huge cap number and, since Tom's availability for 2009 is up in the air, they're considering bringing Favre aboard.

Why? He wanted him bad enough in NY to name his son after him. He clearly really likes the guy as a football player and said so.

Yes - Favre throws a lot of INTs - but Mangini knew that when he wanted him to come to NY.

So I take it I can put you down as a "No"?

And I heard Belichick doesn't want to bring Cassel back at that huge cap number and, since Tom's availability for 2009 is up in the air, they're considering bringing Favre aboard.

You got to think Pats fans are board with nothing to do this time of the year. You'd think with all their success they could get enough fans together to start their own site.

Getting like a cancer here. Time for our mods to clean out hte cancers.

You got to think Pats fans are board with nothing to do this time of the year. You'd think with all their success they could get enough fans together to start their own site.

Getting like a cancer here. Time for our mods to clean out hte cancers.

Clean out what, fans of other teams?

Toughen up, those Baaawwsten fans can only play with themselves for so long after not making the playoffs.

Why? He wanted him bad enough in NY to name his son after him. He clearly really likes the guy as a football player and said so.

Yes - Favre throws a lot of INTs - but Mangini knew that when he wanted him to come to NY.

So I take it I can put you down as a "No"?

You may put me down as a no. You may also put me down as saying your rationale is absolutely moronic.

I understand you're here to start up trouble, as a Bamdwagon Pats fan who has never experienced missing the playoffs, but if you're going to do so, come with something a little less ridiculous/plain stupid than the insipid crap you brought with you today.

You're making Steeler trolls seem "with it" by comparison.

I dont think to many boards are as active in the playoff season or the off season as this veteran browns board lets face it no other fans bond together like browns fans that have seen only 1 playoff in 10 years and that was over fast...lol

And win or lose we are still the best fans in the world! ;)

Archived