THE BROWNS BOARD

Sean Payton Suspended A Year

Taco918

New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year and the Saints will lose their second round pick in 2012 and '13 and pay $500' date='000 as a result of the NFL's bounty investigation, the league announced Wednesday.

Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who orchestrated the program, has been suspended indefinitely. Team general manager Mickey Loomis also faces an eight-game suspension and a $500,000 fine.

[/quote']

CNBC reported that Payton's suspension was without pay.

Report on CNBC...

USA Today article here.

Also cost NO two 2nd round picks... 2012 and 2013.

The year suspension seems harsh....for something that quite frankly was commonplace in the league. The picks will hurt.

Now, what about the Redskins? There bounty program was the same as the Saints, just further into the past.

I have a problem with the suspension, in that I think Belichek's "cheating" was worse than Payton's crime, yet Belichek only got a minor fine. Greg Williams orchestrated the Bountygate scheme, not Sean Payton (though he did know about it, and didn't stop it). Belichek was front and center with the camera crews. People were acting under his direction. He had a competetive advantage, beyond anything Bountygate provided to the Saints. Yet Goodell destroyed the evidence and handed out a slap on the wrist. Sad.

belichecks was only worse cause your pussies still hurting about getting your asses kicked. making video tapes isn't even in the same region as paying players to hurt others.

ya know...just like you think harrisons behavior is acceptable. no one gives a damn about spygate, as it is ancient history. you pissberg babies hold grudges longer than holmgren.

I have a problem with the suspension, in that I think Belichek's "cheating" was worse than Payton's crime, yet Belichek only got a minor fine. Greg Williams orchestrated the Bountygate scheme, not Sean Payton (though he did know about it, and didn't stop it).

While I too feel a year is excessive, it's good to see accountability flowing up through an organization.

Question now is what awaits the players, e.g., Vilma. Wonder what provisions are in the CBA?

Spygate and this is an apples and oranges thing.

belichecks was only worse cause your pussies still hurting about getting your asses kicked. making video tapes isn't even in the same region as paying players to hurt others.

ya know...just like you think harrisons behavior is acceptable. no one gives a damn about spygate, as it is ancient history. you pissberg babies hold grudges longer than holmgren.

Belichick was punished for the sake of being punished. The punishment the Saints are receiving is Goodell's way of saying, "Don't fuck with me."

Carla = Sean Payton

Turk = Goodell

I think what he is getting at is that Belicheck, the guy who gave the order to video tape and cheat, got less than Payton who only just kept his mouth shut. But i digress cause I don't care and I think this is all funny.

• 1 month later...

AP

New Orleans Saints GM Mickey Loomis.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, ESPN's "Outside the Lines" has learned.

Mickey Loomis has been the Saints' general manager since 2002. Sources familiar with Saints game-day operations told "Outside the Lines" that Loomis, who faces an eight-game suspension from the NFL for his role in the recent bounty scandal, had the ability to secretly listen for most of the 2002 season, his first as general manager of the Saints, and all of the 2003 and 2004 seasons. The sources spoke with "Outside the Lines" under the condition of anonymity because of fear of reprisals from members of the Saints organization.

Barr also writes how Greg Bensel, Saints vice president of communications, said Monday afternoon on behalf of the Saints and Loomis: "This is 1,000 percent false. This is 1,000 percent inaccurate."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league was unaware of the allegations.

Sources told "Outside the Lines" the listening device was first installed in the general manager's suite in 2000, when Loomis' predecessor, Randy Mueller, served as Saints GM. At that time, according to sources, Mueller only had the ability to use the device to monitor the game-day communications of the Saints coaching staff, not the opposing coaches. Mueller, now a senior executive with the San Diego Chargers (he also was an ESPN.com NFL analyst from 2002-05), declined to comment when contacted by "Outside the Lines."

And the hits just keep on coming...

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Should be getting player suspension announcement any time now...

Archived