THE BROWNS BOARD

Why?

Why does every interviewer feel the need to badger every politician about whether or not they would like to be vice president or president?

And why is it nearly impossible for any politician to answer honestly?

Would it be a big deal just to say sure if I thought there was a good enough chance and if somebody asked.

Don't get the kabuki dance.

WSS

Why does every interviewer feel the need to badger every politician about whether or not they would like to be vice president or president?

And why is it nearly impossible for any politician to answer honestly?

Would it be a big deal just to say sure if I thought there was a good enough chance and if somebody asked.

Don't get the kabuki dance.

WSS

For one, because Romney just cemented his status as the nominee this week, and now people are wondering about the ticket. We just did this the other day on this board.

Also, because you don't want to publicly put yourself in the running for the position and then not be picked. You don't want to do, "Yes, I'd love to be VP!" and then looked like the one passed over. Also, you don't want to put your family through the vetting process if you don't have to. It can get ugly, and when they find out something it rarely stays private. Everyone talks.

Ex: there's a reason Mitch Daniels didn't run.

Yeah, it gets a little old.

As if the media doesn't know what the answer will be. You'll either get a straight "No" or a "If asked, I'll consider it." It's not worth asking everyone on the short list every day until July.

They have to have something to talk about now that the race is over. Everyone's got deadlines.

Archived