THE BROWNS BOARD

DA on his way out

o_robbie

With the NUMBER ONE OVERALL PICK???

Of course you would.

Just a piss-poor overall take.

Piss poor in your addled mind. For Christs sake you seem to think you are the end all be all in football knowledge. Really your predictions and "intelligent football musings" are a joke. I would take an Orlando Pace caliber tackle ALL DAY if I can get him. Especially for pure shit like DA. Go bully someone else who cares.

Man, there is a lot to respond to here.

Piss poor in your addled mind.

I'm the addled one? I'm not the idiot who wants to spend a #1 pick on the only position we have a Pro Bowl player manning.

Really your predictions and "intelligent football musings" are a joke.

Which predictions? Which musings? if you don't like what I write, don't read it. It's simple.

I would take an Orlando Pace caliber tackle ALL DAY if I can get him. Especially for pure shit like DA.

We're not trading DA for the #1 pick in the draft. Read that a couple hundred times. You're very confused. The OP suggested we trade our pick and DA to Detroit for the #1 pick and take the LT with it. That was dumb enough. Tnhe fact that you're backing it up is even sillier.

ANYWAY...

We don't know this guy is Orlando Pace. For all we know he's Alex Barron, Tony Mandarich, Robert Gallery, etc. What we do know is that this clown you're comparing to a HOFer signs with an agent while he's still in school and gets suspended for the BCS bowl his team needed him in (and LOST). Sounds like a class act/bright dude.

Bro, we have ONE All-Pro player, and he happens to play LT. We don't need another. Are the Patriots looking at Matt Stafford or are the Vikings looking at Beanie Wells? Perhaps the Cards are looking to draft a WR in round 1...

Go bully someone else who cares.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Blow me.

I am hearing more and more that the Lions are interested in this deal. I guess the embarrassment of a winless season wants them to get an established QB right away to compete for a few wins. The browns are seriously considering T with the first pick and they are hoping a MLB/DE will land to them with the first pick in the 2nd round. Since my buddy is from Det I guess I don't know anything about us trading back in the draft. It sounds like DET doesn't want to pay number one overall money to a QB and Clev is getting a more than generous trade based on value to move up and take there choice number 1 if they want it.

On a side note I am guessing B.Quinn has a pretty good stiffy right now knowing his jersey won't have to be washed after games this year.

You are exactly right about drafting All-Pros but that's not what we're discussing.

The original post posited we'd trade DA and the fifth pick for the #1 pick and we'd swap 2nds with the Lions.

And then we'd draft Smith to play RIGHT tackle.

Now, let's consider that statement on its face. By selecting Smith #1, we'd be committing to $30+ mil for a RIGHT tackle. (Thomas got $26 mil or thereabouts at #3 so it'll be higher than that.)

Peen, are you and the newbie robbie REALLY saying that of ALL the ways to use our first pick, DA and our salary cap, a RIGHT TACKLE would be the BEST of them?

Really?

By the way, I am an elitist. I like things that are not dumb.

what we need is a pass rush first above all else to have any chance against pitt and the ravens,,the way i saw it when pitt. losses its because ben is getting pressured badly not from opponets scoring big,,and to ever get to the dance we have to beat pitt. and baltimore..

I am hearing more and more that the Lions are interested in this deal... Det I guess I don't know anything about us trading back in the draft. It sounds like DET doesn't want to pay number one overall money to a QB and Clev is getting a more than generous trade based on value to move up and take there choice number 1 if they want it.

I was in Toledo yesterday (many Lions fans there) and they are worried the Lions will take a QB with the first pick. They seem to have had their fill of skill guys with their early picks.

I'm betting they want to trade down, but any takers is another story. While this is a deep draft class, there isn't a Peyton Manning sitting on top of the heap.

You are exactly right about drafting All-Pros but that's not what we're discussing.

The original post posited we'd trade DA and the fifth pick for the #1 pick and we'd swap 2nds with the Lions.

And then we'd draft Smith to play RIGHT tackle.

Now, let's consider that statement on its face. By selecting Smith #1, we'd be committing to $30+ mil for a RIGHT tackle. (Thomas got $26 mil or thereabouts at #3 so it'll be higher than that.)

Peen, are you and the newbie robbie REALLY saying that of ALL the ways to use our first pick, DA and our salary cap, a RIGHT TACKLE would be the BEST of them?

Really?

By the way, I am an elitist. I like things that are not dumb.

Very early on I said I wasn't with the trading part, and as these conversations go, things change somewhat.

What I am saying is if we stay where we are and select Smith, I would be good with that.

I am not talking about trading up to #1...if we do that, we might as well grab one of the qb's...they are about the only guys we might need to trade up for along with Oher...and I don't think he is a target as he isn't a RT prospect....he is a LT all the way....just like JT.

There are only 4 players who can be off the board when we pick and the way it looks, the guys we might have as a #1 target probably aren't going to be 1 of those already drafted with the possible exception of Smith...he might go #4....maybe a outside chance Curry goes #4.

If we trade, it is go go down...we aren't trading up.

Are we clear now?? ;)

Guest Aloysius

I'm not sure Andre Smith fits our blocking scheme. He seems more like a Steelers-style lineman, not the athletic type that would mesh well with our left side guys.

And if you're concerned about his athleticism, then his weight issues should be a pretty big concern:

Some NFL scouts are reportedly concerned about Alabama LT Andre Smith's ability to control his weight.

Smith, listed at 6'4/330, was known to fluctuate into 350-pound territory with the Crimson Tide. The weight gain could result in sloppy footwork and raises questions about his work ethic. Though widely considered a top-five lock, Smith has drawn comparisons to Leonard Davis and Levi Brown.

No way should Smith be taken #1, especially since he'd be playing RT for us.

What I am saying is if we stay where we are and select Smith, I would be good with that.

I have to say I'm not opposed to it either.

But I wish we had the defensive identity the Ravens, Steelers and Giants have. The Eagles D looked darn good too.

I understand all of that Al....none the less, it wouldn't be a bad pick unless having a top player at a key position for 12 years is a bad pick.

No doubt he is a big kid....something tells me is isn't going to fat out of the league.

Anyway...you don't have to worry....I doubt we take him either. just saying that if we did it would be a good pick and I won't find a thick rope and a strong tree branch if we do.

Thanks for the reasoned response, 'peen. Sorry if I lumped you in with the original post with my wise-acre-ness.

I don't agree he'd be our BEST pick for RIGHT NOW, but I agree he'd be fine at #5. It was the #1 pick idea I was raging against.

I still think we need a top-notch defender at #5. Curry, Jenkins, Maybin, Orakpo, I don't care. As long as they freaking PRODUCE, I'll be happy.

I understand the feeling about the D....and I was all for that some time back, and probably still feel that way, but we did set a NFL record for offensive ineptness this season, so things aren't great on that side of the ball....though I concede a big,big part of that was having to play 3rd and 4th stringers at QB.

We have a lot of things we need to fix. :unsure:

I think the focus has to remain on the defensive side of the ball.

While any team drafting in the top 10 should view things primarily through the BPA lens, its silly to let that be your sole guide.

I think the combination of events this past year on the offensive side can't be under emphasized:

- Loss of Ryan Tucker, our best OL

- BE injury causing an out of sync start to the season in the entire passing game

- JJ injury (no reliable third down receiver in his absence)

- Stallworth's lack of availability in the first half

- QB injuries

From where I sit, I see a good probability that our offense can turn around pretty quickly with the core personnel in place. However, it is equally clear to me that our lack of defensive playmakers must be addressed.

If I'm the personnel guy in this upcoming draft, I'm doing everything I can to maximize the acquisition of at least one playmaker on defense. Period.

LOL Rock.

If a player is rated nearly everywhere as a top 5 talent, it isn't stupid to draft him.

It may not be WHO YOU want, but so what??

Has a member of the Browns front office ever called your house to solicit your input on the draft??

If a player is rated nearly everywhere as a top 5 talent, it isn't stupid to draft him.

It can be stupid, for sure. Like in this case.

We already have a top-3 pick playing Smith's position. Again, it's like the Vikings drafting a RB with a top-5 pick.

And why does everyone assume you need a stud pass-protector at RT? You don't. On the left side, you usually face each team's best pass rusher week in and week out. Why pay Smith top-5 $ when you can get a much cheaper option???

Guest Aloysius

ballpeen's right about Smith potentially being an elite NFL run-blocker. But he could be the kind of guy who struggles against speed-rushers, something that teams like the Steelers and Ravens would love to use against us. They could just draft Brandon Spikes next year & let him rush past Smith all day ;)

By the way, here's the breakdown of where current NFL starting RT's were taken in the draft.

• Round 1: 8

• Round 2: 7

• Round 3: 7

• Round 4: 5

• Round 5: 1

• Round 6: 1

• Round 7: 2

• Undrafted: 1
Those numbers are a bit skewed by some 1st Rounders busting at LT & moving to the other side. But even without factoring that in, it's clear that most teams (75%) find their RT after the 1st Round.

And the 1st Rounders drafted to play RT tended to be taken in the middle of the round or later. Only one, Levi Brown, was taken top five, and he was picked by a team building around a southpaw QB.

Stupid!

Lets draft a RT in the top 5?

Stupid!

Look at the Steelers - they have the worst RT in the NFL and they are in the AFCCG. RT is over rated!

Only because Ben is put together with 'roids, metal, and plastic. The Steeler 'line' (such as it is) has probably shortened his career by 5 years.

I for drafting either maualuga or crabtree.

Drafting WR's high in the draft worries me to no end. For every decent one drafted in the mid first round or higher there is more than one awful WR drafted in the first round . I just don't like the historical odds. We can say Crabbtree is a can't miss guy but that's been said about all 1st round WR's or they wouldn't have been drafted that high in the first place.

Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, Charles Rogers, Bryant Johnson, Mike Williams, Brylon Edwards, Mike Clayton, Donte Stallworth, Ashley Lelie, Dave Terrell, Koren Robinson, Fredie Mitchell.......Even if you want to consider a few of these guys marginally successful they are NOT worth a #1 pick.

Archived