THE BROWNS BOARD

Time

Mr. T

I wear a watch

I've played over 5000 games of just Halo 3 and took an online dynasty in NCAA to 2035

Once my sister and I got older my family rarely had sit down meals, but we definitely have family values.

I'm easily future oriented

I sacrifice family, friends, and sleep for success

I've succeeded in a traditional classroom

I think this guy makes a few too many generalizations...

Woody I'm not trying to be insulting here.

But I think it will be quite a few years before you know if you were successful at anything or not.

Yes, when you're 50 or so, you wake up every morning looking forward to going to whatever job you will be doing then that's great.

If not then I don't suppose the big house in a nice neighborhood will be that much of a help.

I realize that everybody on a political forum seems crabby and pissed off. But political forums, or football forums, aren't real life.

I think everyone has a finite amount of happiness and unhappiness built in. I know miserable rich people and happy poor people.

But I can probably guarantee he will see the world differently as the decades go by.

In my own profession you go from believing, but God , tat you will be a superstar to accepting the fact that you probably won't. If, at that point, you still enjoy your job and your life then you win.

I suppose it's not much different no matter what you do.

WSS

As for game accomplishments, it was Gauntlet for me. We played that stupid game for weeks and then my son deleted our files by accident. It was about a year later and we decided to start it over and we finished it.

As for the video on "Time", it was an adjustment moving here to NC from Ohio especially when some winters feel like an Ohio summer. We went from wearing a suit and tie to work to where it is common place for businessmen to walk in your wearing flip flops and shorts. I love the semi layed back life. My only complaint is that during the summer months you will not find anyone working on Fridays here. I'll go into work and plan my day only to find out that none of the other players showed up. Now that makes me angry but I cannot show it. I can relate to his piece where he talked about the Italians.

Meanwhile I get to show up for work wearing shorts and a polo. I dont like flipflops.

Woody I'm not trying to be insulting here.

But I think it will be quite a few years before you know if you were successful at anything or not.

Yes, when you're 50 or so, you wake up every morning looking forward to going to whatever job you will be doing then that's great.

If not then I don't suppose the big house in a nice neighborhood will be that much of a help.

I realize that everybody on a political forum seems crabby and pissed off. But political forums, or football forums, aren't real life.

I think everyone has a finite amount of happiness and unhappiness built in. I know miserable rich people and happy poor people.

But I can probably guarantee he will see the world differently as the decades go by.

In my own profession you go from believing, but God , tat you will be a superstar to accepting the fact that you probably won't. If, at that point, you still enjoy your job and your life then you win.

I suppose it's not much different no matter what you do.

WSS

I just said I've succeeded in a traditional classroom, not at life. I'd consider how my academic career has gone so far a success

It's just paper man. Experience is what employers want.

Grades (among other things) in high school got me into this university

Grades (among other things) at this university will get me internships

Internships will get me a job

Grades (among other things) in high school got me into this university

Grades (among other things) at this university will get me internships

Internships will get me a job

Yea I guess. I had already been working for 7 years in the industry I was in when I graduated. Worked full time while going to school full time. Internships suck. Unless you can find one like I had making good money (the place I worked at, lol)

Yea I guess. I had already been working for 7 years in the industry I was in when I graduated. Worked full time while going to school full time. Internships suck. Unless you can find one like I had making good money (the place I worked at, lol)

Well internships and co-ops are what engineers do. I expect to be treated like shit and do grunt work but you never know. All that matters is getting experience to put on my resume. Then I can get a better internship and put that on my resume.

The only job I had before college was a waiter/bus boy at a wine bar, and I don't work at all when I'm in school.

Money isn't a huge issue for me, I just want the experience. I posted the average internship monthly salaries for MEs from Umich on some forum here. That would be more than enough for me.

Well internships and co-ops are what engineers do. I expect to be treated like shit and do grunt work but you never know. All that matters is getting experience to put on my resume. Then I can get a better internship and put that on my resume.

The only job I had before college was a waiter/bus boy at a wine bar, and I don't work at all when I'm in school.

Money isn't a huge issue for me, I just want the experience. I posted the average internship monthly salaries for MEs from Umich on some forum here. That would be more than enough for me.

Must be nice to be a rich white boy, from a rich white boy family.

I'm not that rich at all, believe me. My family, my dad especially, was just really smart with his money in terms of saving up for my tuition.

At this point in my life being a white male isn't helping me at all haha

He's kind of right, Woody. I envy you for having your dad save up money for your tuition. I'm probably in 100k in student debt, not that it matters. I'll have MD next to my name someday and it'll pay off, but I can't imagine being poor and wanting to study something that isn't science.

Yeah it must be nice I had to serve all through school for an electrical engineering degree that bought me shit. Only ten years in am I really reaping any benefits. My friend who has a degree in chemical engineering from case had to move to Minnesota for a good job. So I hope your education gets you what you hope for.

I'm not that rich at all, believe me. My family, my dad especially, was just really smart with his money in terms of saving up for my tuition.

At this point in my life being a white male isn't helping me at all haha

I'm just kidding. I know Strongsville is not wealthy, it's right down 82 about 4 miles from where I live. I sent my daughter to college, but she still needed some loans. She got her BA from Penn St. and Masters from Duquesne, I probably forked over over 70,000 for her education though. And now she makes good money, married a guy who makes good money and lives in Philadelphia.

Yeah it must be nice I had to serve all through school for an electrical engineering degree that bought me shit. Only ten years in am I really reaping any benefits. My friend who has a degree in chemical engineering from case had to move to Minnesota for a good job. So I hope your education gets you what you hope for.

I think I'll be fine. There's always going to be a need for doctors, and MD/PhD's are hard to come by.

I was talking to woody

Oops. Your comment is spot on though. An engineering degree isn't the safety net it used to be. A few CME's I know struck gold by getting jobs with Marathon, BP, etc, but I know many more who were on the job hunt for quite awhile and ended up taking the first (unrelated) job they could get.

I just watched the video. I've been playing video games since I was 2, and it started with the original super mario bros, for me. Since then I got into computer gaming, and played a SHIT TON. I was on one of the best Call of Duty (back when it was realistic, now it's a piece of shit arcade fragfest) squads during high school. I also was one of the fastest runners in Ohio, and made it to a state meet in high school. The time I spent on the computer wasn't wasted. I learned some basic programming while I was at it and a little bit of 3d modelling. If I totaled up all the hours I've spent playing video games, I wouldn't be surprised to see it be around 5 years. If you're enjoying yourself, that time isn't wasted, given one stipulation; don't let it consume you. Work hard. Study hard. Play hard.

Oops. Your comment is spot on though. An engineering degree isn't the safety net it used to be. A few CME's I know struck gold by getting jobs with Marathon, BP, etc, but I know many more who were on the job hunt for quite awhile and ended up taking the first (unrelated) job they could get.

I guess. But given the unemployment rate nationally for engineers and the number of companies that flock to Michigan's engineering career fairs, I'm not that worried about finding a job after college.

I'm just kidding. I know Strongsville is not wealthy, it's right down 82 about 4 miles from where I live. I sent my daughter to college, but she still needed some loans. She got her BA from Penn St. and Masters from Duquesne, I probably forked over over 70,000 for her education though. And now she makes good money, married a guy who makes good money and lives in Philadelphia.

There are little pockets of Strongsville with money, but not where I live.

I mean, we're not poor, but we're not rich either.

Archived