THE BROWNS BOARD

Mirror Mirror Review

Mirror Mirror

Relativity Media

PG 106 min

Well friends, I just got back from MIRROR MIRROR, a movie that stars Julia Roberts. That's right friends Julia Roberts. And I went there with full knowledge that she was the star. No idea why, maybe it's the lovely weather, but I was in a pretty good mood and figured what the hell; it might be fun, why not?

Well, unfortunately the movie wasn't very good at all but guess what? It wasn't her fault. Sometimes, well usually, movies made from familiar fairy tales can be a good deal of fun. Most of the time the producers have a fairly good grip on the target audience.

Little kids? Young adults? Grown ups? I'm not sure that was the case here.

As you probably guessed it's a loose retelling of the Snow White (Lily Collins) and the 7 dwarves saga. I don't exactly remember the plot of the original, but as I recall there was a vain old queen (Roberts) who what is jealous of Snow White's beauty.

Here Snow is the heir to the throne since the wicked queen has somehow managed to knock off her kind and benevolent father, the king.

To retain the title of fairest of them all as well as eliminating any possible challenge to the throne, Snow is taken out to the woods to be killed. She'll be rescued by 7 little bandits who employ a variation of the Robin Hood system. They steal from the rich but keep it for themselves. (No they aren’t politicians but…)

I think the reason for this film falls a little bit short on any level is the aforementioned confusion of the target audience.

It lacks the light hearted fun music and action you need to keep the young ones interested while the PG 13 innuendo just failed to ignite. There was no chemistry between Snow and the prince and that's kind of a cornerstone for this story. The queen as well isn’t quite evil enough to work up a good hate.

The action, as it was, was never very exciting and the dialogue not very funny. Still, I don't blame the actors, not even Julia. Hepburn couldn’t have saved this one.

They did spend a good amount of time dwelling on the populist message about evil tyrant taxing the poor people to death. Wild the older ones get it the youngsters don't care so it was something of a wasted lecture.

No fun, no excitement, no nothing (to paraphrase Brando).

Broadway legend Nathan Lane tries to squeeze some fun out of the dry plot but alas there's not much to work with.

C-

WSS

Email: westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived