THE BROWNS BOARD

Braylon Edwards trade thoughts

TraidBait

On my first post here I would like to discuss Braylon Edwards.

Edwards showed a ton of promise last year catching 16 touchdown passes, but still lead the league in drops. This year he did not pan out as well and still lead the league in drops along with Brandon Marshall from the Broncos. Although Marshall has shown a competitive passion and smooth athletic ability that seems to surpass Edwards.

Yes, Braylon has talent and has expressed interest in being a long term tenured Cleveland Brown, but is he worth keeping or should the new GM (when he is finally hired) look into potentially trading Braylon?

Braylon has consistently shown a lack of effort (understandable at SOME points when your starting quarterback ends up to be Ken Dorsey) in running solid routes and concentrating on every down. He has been noted to blame Browns fans for not liking him because he is a Michigan Wolverine alum. Or do we boo him and criticize him for not doing his job?

What do you think of trading Braylon to the Lions, Seahawks, Rams, 49ers, Raiders, etc (teams needing a or another 'big name' WR) for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick?

Or any other trade ideas for Braylon?

And if we do trade Braylon what prospects could you see us pick up in free agency or draft.

Later round draft prospects include:

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR 6'1" 203 MARYLAND

Kenny Britt WR 6'4" 215 RUTGERS

Brandon LaFell WR 6'3" 212 LSU

Juaquin Iglesias WR 6'0" 205 OKLAHOMA

Derrick Williams WR 6'0" 200 PENN STATE

Louis Murphy WR 6'2" 198 FLORIDA

Mohamed Massaquoi WR 6'1" 205 GEORGIA

Brian Robiskie WR 6'2" 190 OHIO STATE

Brandon Tate WR 6'1" 195 NORTH CAROLINA

Brandon Gibson WR 6'0" 202 WASHINGTON STATE

Pat White WR 6'0" 191 WEST VIRGINIA

Demetrius Byrd WR 6'0" 200 LSU

Quan Cosby WR 5'10" 205 TEXAS

Free Agents include:

T.J. Housh

Bobby Engram

Devery Henderson

Antonio Bryant

Greg Camarillo

I think Im kind of disappointed in the fans for pushing Braylon away and making him feel outcast. Sometimes you can be too hard on someone - the drops are there for all of the big receivers, sure there were some significant drops this season but that is no reason to alienate your best WR Threat.

One of, NOT THE ONLY, reason for the amount of drops is the amount of targets/balls thrown to. The big time receivers have exceptionally more passes thrown to them than the other guys and hence, they lead the league in drops... Weird right?

I'm not a big BE fan, but I do like what he's done for the team and hate seeing the current situation with his negativity towards the city of Cleveland, but I cant blame him. No one's perfect, he's not... T.O isnt. Brandon Marshall isnt. Reggie Wayne isnt. None of them are. None of us are.

I have a feeling, if the resentment doesnt kick in too much, Braylon is going to bounce back this year with a resurging Browns offense. If not you will probably all get your wish and he will just be released with his contract expiring in 2010.

My last name is Traid....but thanks for your concern

We have talent in our receiving core with Kellen and Donte....and the receiver class in this years draft is deep and the option to sign a free agent is reasonable.

Is Braylon even a number 1 receiver? Think about that long and hard...

As for draft picks, regardless of trading Braylon I think we need to seriously address our WR's.

Draft- Maclin/Harvin would be incredible but we have more needs with our top 5 pick and they will be gone by 2nd round. SO....

1. Brandon Tate (NC)

2. Derrick Williams (PSU)

3. Cosby (TU)

4. Brian Robiskie (OSU)

After that I'd look at the LSU guys possibly.

For free agency I think TJ is a must. With him Braylon and Stallworth I think we may have something. Stallworth is not a #2 receiver despite what some people think. We need to utilize him as a slot WR and alternate.

As for draft picks, regardless of trading Braylon I think we need to seriously address our WR's.

Draft- Maclin/Harvin would be incredible but we have more needs with our top 5 pick and they will be gone by 2nd round. SO....

1. Brandon Tate (NC)

3. Cosby (TU)

4. Brian Robiskie (OSU)

For free agency I think TJ is a must. With him Braylon and Stallworth I think we may have something. Stallworth is not a #2 receiver despite what some people think. We need to utilize him as a slot WR and alternate.

Great points here

1. Brandon Tate (NC)

3. Cosby (TU)

4. Brian Robiskie (OSU)

Braylon lost heart and didnt play hard this year he looked like he was just running the motions no soul or effort..its his way of saying..its time to go to greener pastures...

He often could have and should have brought game changing passes in but heard footsteps and let it sail or decided to cushion his fall instead of holding on to the ball other times he just flat dropped it..there is no excuses unless he was playing hurt which wouldnt suprize me in this way to secretive organization..

If braylon does not come out of it and make those amazing catches in the preseason that win games mangini will send him packing after watching some of edwards film of this years trainwreck..

We do need to look at a new reciever or two of the burner variety BE is not a scorcher and easy to contain and obviously not willing to go up for the ball if theres a chance he could get leveled anymore..and stallworth is a joke he lacks flexability and speed..and has less than desirable hands imo..

If we could get a low first rounder and a high second i would trade him..

unfortunatly braylon was right about some people hating him for being from michigan. i've heard pleanty of times at bars, during last season even, people bitching and screaming about him being from michigan when he couldn't catch a pass. the only problem is the people that hate a browns player because of what college he played for isn't a real browns fan, and braylon shouldn't be paying them any attention.

i think it would be dumb to trade him, he showed that he can be a top tier reciever in the 07 season, and a 1 year slump is no reason to trade a guy. TO started out with the drops just like braylon, but he turned out to be one of the best recievers out there

unfortunatly braylon was right about some people hating him for being from michigan. i've heard pleanty of times at bars, during last season even, people bitching and screaming about him being from michigan when he couldn't catch a pass. the only problem is the people that hate a browns player because of what college he played for isn't a real browns fan, and braylon shouldn't be paying them any attention.

i think it would be dumb to trade him, he showed that he can be a top tier reciever in the 07 season, and a 1 year slump is no reason to trade a guy. TO started out with the drops just like braylon, but he turned out to be one of the best recievers out there

Just because someone has stupid opinions, like you said about hating Braylon for being from Michigan, doesnt make them NOT Browns fans.

It just makes them ignorant =)

I think Im kind of disappointed in the fans for pushing Braylon away and making him feel outcast. Sometimes you can be too hard on someone - the drops are there for all of the big receivers, sure there were some significant drops this season but that is no reason to alienate your best WR Threat.

One of, NOT THE ONLY, reason for the amount of drops is the amount of targets/balls thrown to. The big time receivers have exceptionally more passes thrown to them than the other guys and hence, they lead the league in drops... Weird right?

I'm not a big BE fan, but I do like what he's done for the team and hate seeing the current situation with his negativity towards the city of Cleveland, but I cant blame him. No one's perfect, he's not... T.O isnt. Brandon Marshall isnt. Reggie Wayne isnt. None of them are. None of us are.

I have a feeling, if the resentment doesnt kick in too much, Braylon is going to bounce back this year with a resurging Browns offense. If not you will probably all get your wish and he will just be released with his contract expiring in 2010.

I really agree with this & I feel the same. BE has been beaten up badly by the fans, even more than DA, who is/was the BIGGEST stiff on this team (tied with S Smith). Braylon is a talent & I say let's see what happens when he is coached properly & playing within a disciplined system. IMHO, we need to see what this kid can do under the new regime.

Mike

Just because someone has stupid opinions, like you said about hating Braylon for being from Michigan, doesnt make them NOT Browns fans.

It just makes them ignorant =)

well imo if they hate braylon for being from michigan, especially last year when he was doing well, they are buckeye only fans. a real browns fan won't hate a player just based on where he played college ball.

I really agree with this & I feel the same. BE has been beaten up badly by the fans, even more than DA, who is/was the BIGGEST stiff on this team (tied with S Smith). Braylon is a talent & I say let's see what happens when he is coached properly & playing within a disciplined system. IMHO, we need to see what this kid can do under the new regime.

Mike

This means alot coming from the caliber of player saying it. Whether it was just for sentiment or not.

Leon Washington - “I learned so much from him while he had his tenure with the Jets. His hard-working, selfless and competitive approach really helped me.”

Jericho Cotchery - "`We should've done better as players. I could've done a better job of making plays. Eric is a good guy. It's tough to see him go.''

-When guys are putting themselves out there as being at fault for you, publicly like this. It means they respect you.

Ty Law. ``It's unfortunate. Eric is a great coach. He deserves better, especially from us as players. ... No, he didn't lose the team. The guys were behind him 100 percent. To say he lost the locker room, no.''

I think Mangini will be good for the players and team. He is an overall good guy that can inspire. Not roll over and play dead.

I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Edwards for two reasons.

It seams as if Mangini is focusing his comments on having quality human beings on this team. I know that this may be lip service but I have a feeling Mangini is very serious about this. I don't think he suffers fools well at all.

Edwards is certainly a fool. Some of his statements this year were ridiculous at best. One of my favorites were his blaming Anderson for his second half drops because he was open so often in the first half and never got the ball and as a result lost focus in the seconf half. Only a scumbag would try throwing his QB under the bus like this. A stupid scumbag would say this and think people would actually buy it.

Another gem from Edwards was when he was feeling sorry for himself and said the Cleveland fans never liked him from the start because he's from from Michigan and because he drives a Bently.....For you that didn't hear this...Yep, he said it.

I heard it on WTAM. Again, a comment that shows he's a fool.

First of all, I am a huge Buckeye fan and as a Browns fan I couldn't care less that he was from Michigan and I'm sure 95% of Buckeye fans who love the Browns don't care either.

AS far as his Bently, that is even more foolish. Who cares what you drive Braylon? I think your feeling of self importance is way out of hand.

The guy is unstable. If you want to say he isn't then you are fooling yourserlf.

I would do my best to get as much as I could and simply suffer the consequences for a year.

Secondly, Mangini has a short history of pulling the triggers on trades. I don't think one of his drafts were a normal sequence of 1 through 7 due to all the deals that were made. I think he finds what he wants and goes after it.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Edwards sent packing due to these things.

Later round draft prospects include:

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR 6'1" 203 MARYLAND

This guy might be a first-round pick.

Other than that, good little list there.

I mean, even though he's kind of a biotch, he isn't, say, Freddie Mitchell. He's got game, just needs to get his head on straight. He's the type of guy who plays out-of-his-mind when his team is winning but loses focus and desire when his team is losing.

A primadonna, sure. But a very very valuable guy when things are going well. Just look at 2007.

I mean, even though he's kind of a biotch, he isn't, say, Freddie Mitchell. He's got game, just needs to get his head on straight. He's the type of guy who plays out-of-his-mind when his team is winning but loses focus and desire when his team is losing.

A primadonna, sure. But a very very valuable guy when things are going well. Just look at 2007.

The true test of a man is how you react when you face adversity. This guy has shown us what kind of a man he is.

He's getting close to being in his late 20's and his head seems to be more screwed up now than it was at any time in the past. Why would you expect him to suddenly get his head screwed on straight?

Owens and Johnson also have game and yet they cause trouble where ever they are at. How many championships has Owens or Johnson won? I think Edwards could end up being the same kind of nut that Owens is. The kind of guy that will cause headaches purely for selfish reasons....I decided he needed to go right after he blamed DA for his second half drops.

That is a pure scumbag.

Archived