THE BROWNS BOARD

Si: Browns Split On Blackmon And Tannehill At #4

Harry Buffalo

Article: http://www.twackle.com/sitebar?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fnews%2Fstory%2F09000d5d828572f3%2Farticle%2Freport-browns-front-office-split-on-justin-blackmon-ryan-tannehill%3Fcampaign%3DTwitter_news

The Cleveland Browns are split on whether to take Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon or Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the fourth overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, Sports Illustrated reported Monday.

Trent Richardson is this draft's top-rated back, but who's next? Citing unnamed sources, the magazine reported that Browns general manager Tom Heckert is sold on Blackmon while president Mike Holmgren is weighing whether the team should go with Tannehill.

Last week, The Plain Dealer reported that the Browns might also trade the pick, though CSN Philadelphia reported that the Philadelphia Eagles won't be among the teams bidding for it.

The Browns also currently have the No. 22 pick and have been linked to several high-profile prospects, including running back Trent Richardson and quarterback Brandon Weeden.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this has been mentioned by one or two people in other threads but this kind of story deserves its own. I don't find it odd that these two are being linked to the Browns (Tannehill has flown up draft boards and has visited the Browns something like 3 times in the past week and Blackmon is the consensus #1 WR in the draft) but what I do find hard to believe is that both H&H have Blackmon and Tannehill rated higher than Richardson. I also don't find it odd that this story is about the two players everyone from #7 to #25 trying to trade up to get (Jaq, Carolina, NYJ, San Diego, Chicago, Tennessee, and Denver all are eyeing Blackmon while Miami, Buffalo, Kansas City, and Philly are all eyeing Tannehill). I can't help but feel Heckert or Holmgren asked someone to talk to SI and make teams believe that the team would take either guy at #4 to drive up the trade price.

I honestly wouldn't be mad with Blackmon, but I fully believe that if Blackmon is the selected target then Weeden is also the selected target at #22 or #37. Tannehill would make me throw up because even if it is our intention to sit him for a season you 1: don't sit a top 5 pick for the first season and 2: he would end up eventually being thrown in there anyway and any promise he might have would be ruined. The same would happen to him at Miami but teams like the Bills, Chiefs, and Eagles could sit him for 1 or 2 seasons.

I still personally think our best bet is to take Richardson at #4 or to trade down within the top 8 and take who falls to us. In one scenario we get the best RB since AP (and even though AP should be better talent wise I would take TR ahead of him for AFCN football) and in the other we get some extra picks, likely 2nd and 3rd rounders, and we still get a guy that Heckert thinks is a top play maker, whether it be Richardson who could still manage to fall to use, Blackmon, Tannehill (would be much less mad if we got him at #7 but still not overly happy), Claiborne, or Floyd. I personally think this "information" was leaked so that the team could perform the following. Get Jaq, St. Loius, and Miami all scared that their guys could be gone by the time they pick and get us some more ammo to stock the armory.

I can't wait until the draft so I don't have to read Retarded articles and headlines anymore. Tannehill @ 4? Hahahah. Ill stop being a browns fan until H&H are gone because this would cement the fact they are truly trying to destroy this franchise.

I give Heckert and Holmgren two years if they draft Tannehill.

Year 1- they will try to work him in over Colt towards the end of the year- and we'll all see that Colt is probably the better option. Meanwhile Richardson will be a Top 5 Back and Blackmon will be the new Torry Holt of the Rams.

The questions will start to come up.

Year 2 we will have a QB controversy- and still no playoff team. They'll give Tannehill the benefit of the doubt.

H & H and in a no win situation here by drafting Tannehill. Tannehil may develope down the road, but i don't see a converted WR with 19 career starts at QB doing anything for at least a couple seasons.

Tannehill is similar to Ponder and Gabbert last year (except for the fact that Ponder and Gabbert played more in college)- would anyone have taken either of those two at #4 or even think about trading up to 3 to get them?

tick tock. tick tock.

hey does anyone know if the browns tavern will be open for live chat on draft night? can't wait to see people's reaction to what ever this team decides to do with the #4 pick.

should be:

arten.jpg

Nope, totally possible H&H are not that interested in Richardson for the reasons I've been harping on for months. In the WCO, you don't need a stud RB, just a pretty good one. Pretty good ones are found all over the draft spectrum.

And of course, this could well be just a pre-draft smokescreen, or a ploy to drive up the price for Blackmon or Tannehill if the Browns true intention is to try and move down a few spots.

Tannehill has all the tools to succeed in the NFL is he was given a year to translate his talents into the NFL behind a veteran guy. If he had 10-12 more starts under his belt in college, I do believe he'd be a no brainer pick for the browns this year. That being said, he would fail miserably here. I don't see how the idea can't be to draft Richardson or Blackmon, the best of the second tier at 22, and a RT/DE at 37. Give Colt a chance and with our seemingly hard schedule he'll either show up to be the guy, or we'll win 2-3 games and be in the QB race next year. I think everyone knows I feel the latter but that makes the most sense to me at this point.

tick tock. tick tock.

hey does anyone know if the browns tavern will be open for live chat on draft night? can't wait to see people's reaction to what ever this team decides to do with the #4 pick.

should be:

arten.jpg

It generally is open, if it is working. I will go there next Thursday and attempt to log in and see what happens. :)

Nope, totally possible H&H are not that interested in Richardson for the reasons I've been harping on for months. In the WCO, you don't need a stud RB, just a pretty good one. Pretty good ones are found all over the draft spectrum.

And of course, this could well be just a pre-draft smokescreen, or a ploy to drive up the price for Blackmon or Tannehill if the Browns true intention is to try and move down a few spots.

As I have said before, when I read this my first thought as they didn't mention Richardson so he may be the guy they are planning on taking. With that being said I am on record as saying I think Blackmon is THE GUY we need. He is no Torry Holt as somebody else said, instead I think more like a T.O. and that is exactly the kind of receiver we need on this team! And if they take him I hope they can snag Weeden in the early second round. Weeden has the tools and he is a hell of an athlete as evidenced by his multisport ability. He is mature and resilient, and if Colt can't get it done I bet he will be able too. I am hoping for a Blackmon, OLB, Weeden early draft.

As I have said before, when I read this my first thought as they didn't mention Richardson so he may be the guy they are planning on taking. With that being said I am on record as saying I think Blackmon is THE GUY we need. He is no Torry Holt as somebody else said, instead I think more like a T.O. and that is exactly the kind of receiver we need on this team! And if they take him I hope they can snag Weeden in the early second round. Weeden has the tools and he is a hell of an athlete as evidenced by his multisport ability. He is mature and resilient, and if Colt can't get it done I bet he will be able too. I am hoping for a Blackmon, OLB, Weeden early draft.

It just sucks Weeden is already almost 30. I agree i think we should go after him in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. He is a better qb than Tannehill.

It just sucks Weeden is already almost 30. I agree i think we should go after him in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. He is a better qb than Tannehill.

What I think people need to think about Weeden is that even at his age he still has a lot of tread on the tires compared to others. He played 4 (maybe 5) years at Ok State but it's not like he was playing football between then and highschool. It's not like he is going to lose his ability right on the dot at 35 like most QB's do. He could realistically play at age 37-38 without losing ability and play into his early 40's in my opinion. He isn't going to be 6 years and done and even if he is if he also ends up being a good starting QB during that time then it's worth it.

What I think people need to think about Weeden is that even at his age he still has a lot of tread on the tires compared to others. He played 4 (maybe 5) years at Ok State but it's not like he was playing football between then and highschool. It's not like he is going to lose his ability right on the dot at 35 like most QB's do. He could realistically play at age 37-38 without losing ability and play into his early 40's in my opinion. He isn't going to be 6 years and done and even if he is if he also ends up being a good starting QB during that time then it's worth it.

Exactly. 5 - 10 years is a decent to long career in the NFL. I hope his age dissuades other teams and we can get him with the 37th.

Article: http://www.twackle.com/sitebar?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fnews%2Fstory%2F09000d5d828572f3%2Farticle%2Freport-browns-front-office-split-on-justin-blackmon-ryan-tannehill%3Fcampaign%3DTwitter_news

The Cleveland Browns are split on whether to take Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon or Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the fourth overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, Sports Illustrated reported Monday.

Trent Richardson is this draft's top-rated back, but who's next? Citing unnamed sources, the magazine reported that Browns general manager Tom Heckert is sold on Blackmon while president Mike Holmgren is weighing whether the team should go with Tannehill.

BS? Smokescreen?

Totally plausible in my mind.

Richardson is the top rated RB. Blackmon the top rated WR. Tannehill now the top rated QB available...

Heckert's choice of Blackmon is safe and fills a need.

Holmgren fancies himself as the second greatest evaluator of QB's ever... second only to his mentor, Bill Walsh.

But in the end, I still believe there will be a trade.

Personally I don't think it is pure BS. I'm sure there is some BS in it

but now totally. Remember, this is the same team that was willing to mortgage

it's future on RGIII which tells me they think McCoy is garbage.

This is a quarterback driven league and if you don't have a top flight QB

you are going nowwhere.Sure Tannehill is getting too much hype but for a

desperate team looking for a QB (like the Browns) they may be willing to

take a chance.Holmgren has been known to develop QBs so this may be his last

hurrah. He is 60+ years old.

Personally I don't think it is pure BS. I'm sure there is some BS in it

but now totally. Remember, this is the same team that was willing to mortgage

it's future on RGIII which tells me they think McCoy is garbage.

This is a quarterback driven league and if you don't have a top flight QB

you are going nowwhere.Sure Tannehill is getting too much hype but for a

desperate team looking for a QB (like the Browns) they may be willing to

take a chance.Holmgren has been known to develop QBs so this may be his last

hurrah. He is 60+ years old.

Be Careful what you say about 60+ year olds. Half the people on here fall in that range.

I also disagree that the Browns are desperately looking for a QB. If they saw a QB that they thought was a franchise type QB, then they may have wanted to go after him, but that is not desperation, merely opportunism. Last year's trade of the pick that could have netted them Julio Jones showed that if they don't like the talent that is available, they are willing to Pass on it and go elsewhere.....or trade for someone who is salivating over someone who is available.

Holmgren, the QB genius as you call him never drafted a high pick QB. Joe Montana was a third rounder. Steve Young came in a trade with TB for the rights to Steve Young. Brett Favre was a trade, Matt Hasselbeck was a trade. Colt McCoy is a third rounder.

The chances that Holmgren has taken have been with QBs with "lesser reputations" that became stars in his system.

That is why it is premature to pull the plug on MCCoy.

Holmgren...and Heckert and Shurmur don't necessarily think like you or I may. They don't think they have to go after a big name QB. (I am not honestly convinced that they were that serious about going after RGIII)

I think there's a high probability the Browns will select Tannehill with the #4 overall pick. If someone trades with the Vikings, then you'll probably take Weeden with the #22 overall pick. Weeden may be a better QB than either Luck or RG3, but he's 29 years old, which IMO is too old to be selected in the first round, especially if you want to build a contender with the franchise QB you selected with a 1st round pick. Either way the Browns would be over-reaching at either position. Richardson appears to be the best selection available at #4. Blackmon is the highest graded W.O., but he's not a top 10 graded player. However, Blackmon will go to St. Louis at #6 if he's still on the boards.

Be Careful what you say about 60+ year olds. Half the people on here fall in that range.

I am 60+ years old so I guess I am in that range.The better range I may add.

I also disagree that the Browns are desperately looking for a QB. If they saw a QB that they thought was a franchise type QB, then they may have wanted to go after him, but that is not desperation, merely opportunism. Last year's trade of the pick that could have netted them Julio Jones showed that if they don't like the talent that is available, they are willing to Pass on it and go elsewhere.....or trade for someone who is salivating over someone who is available.

Holmgren, the QB genius as you call him never drafted a high pick QB. Joe Montana was a third rounder. Steve Young came in a trade with TB for the rights to Steve Young. Brett Favre was a trade, Matt Hasselbeck was a trade. Colt McCoy is a third rounder.

The chances that Holmgren has taken have been with QBs with "lesser reputations" that became stars in his system.

That is why it is premature to pull the plug on MCCoy.

Holmgren...and Heckert and Shurmur don't necessarily think like you or I may. They don't think they have to go after a big name QB. (I am not honestly convinced that they were that serious about going after RGIII)

I never said that Holmgren was a QB genius just that he develops QBs. I stand by the statement that the

Browns are desperate for a franchise QB.They have shown NO confidence in McCoy. Clearly they DID go after

RGIII but I am glad they didn't give up the farm to get him. Even the mention of Tannehill being taken

at #4 whether a smoke screen or not shows they don't belive McCoy is the long term answer. Plus even

mentioning taking Weeden at #22 also undercuts McCoy. BTW I don't see them taking either QB in the first

round just that it is a possibility and that they do not like McCoy long term.

Holmgren, the QB genius as you call him never drafted a high pick QB. Brett Favre was a trade...

(I am not honestly convinced that they were that serious about going after RGIII)

But he traded a 1st round pick for Brett...

Agree on RGIII... Driving up RG's trade value only increased the value of our #4...

Steve Young came in a trade with TB for the rights to Steve Young.[/color]

:blink::huh: Thus proving you are 60+ ??? ;)

I never said that Holmgren was a QB genius just that he develops QBs. I stand by the statement that the

Browns are desperate for a franchise QB.They have shown NO confidence in McCoy. Clearly they DID go after

RGIII but I am glad they didn't give up the farm to get him. Even the mention of Tannehill being taken

at #4 whether a smoke screen or not shows they don't belive McCoy is the long term answer. Plus even

mentioning taking Weeden at #22 also undercuts McCoy. BTW I don't see them taking either QB in the first

round just that it is a possibility and that they do not like McCoy long term.

Or, maybe you have simply swallowed the smoke and are now coughing on it.

But he traded a 1st round pick for Brett...

wrong again....ron wolfe traded a first for farve. holmy was just the coach....first year coach at that. you really think he waltzed in and took over for wolfe?

lmao...

Archived