THE BROWNS BOARD

Alfonzo Dennard

cribbs is the man

Remember when this guy was a "lock" 1st round pick right after the season?? I remembered his name last week and saw that some mocks had him as a high 3rd rounder. And then this:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7846633/2012-nfl-draft-bond-ex-nebraska-cornhuskers-cornerback-alfonzo-dennard-set-5000

He could plummet in the draft or not be drafted at all with the felony charges. Before this I thought he was a pretty clean guy, so could just be an isolated incident (like Sheard). I love to take these guys whose stock falls because of an isolated bad incident, they dont lose their talent...

Tend to agree...

This reads like it may have been a case of an errant punch...

"Lincoln police said officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside the bar. Dennard allegedly hit the man before punching in the head an officer who tried to intervene."

Then again "outside a bar" and "2:15 AM" are descriptions that often don't mix well...

On a lighter note, I loved this bit...

"Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Monday that Dennard never caused him any problems during his four years with the Cornhuskers. When a reporter suggested it was a bad time for Dennard to run afoul of the law, Pelini deadpanned, "Ya think?"

Tend to agree...

This reads like it may have been a case of an errant punch...

"Lincoln police said officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside the bar. Dennard allegedly hit the man before punching in the head an officer who tried to intervene."

Then again "outside a bar" and "2:15 AM" are descriptions that often don't mix well...

On a lighter note, I loved this bit...

"Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Monday that Dennard never caused him any problems during his four years with the Cornhuskers. When a reporter suggested it was a bad time for Dennard to run afoul of the law, Pelini deadpanned, "Ya think?"

Well I went and read ESPNs scouting page on him, he didnt seem impressive at all after that. I guess I am also just surprised that a person who was always in the discussion in the first round could fall so fast (before this incident obviously). I can see a QB like Tannehill rising (although I dont agree with it), but to see Dennard fall multiple rounds for no change in his resume since the end of the season is confusing to me. Obviously this arrest changes everything with previous scouting though.

Well I went and read ESPNs scouting page on him, he didnt seem impressive at all after that. I guess I am also just surprised that a person who was always in the discussion in the first round could fall so fast (before this incident obviously). I can see a QB like Tannehill rising (although I dont agree with it), but to see Dennard fall multiple rounds for no change in his resume since the end of the season is confusing to me. Obviously this arrest changes everything with previous scouting though.

Maybe take him in the 6th round....and if he as good as we thought he once was, it would be a bargain if he straightened up.

I was more commenting on the "incident"... I never saw Dennard rated as a Rnd 1'er, but I doubt his 4.55 at the Combine helped.

Read his NFL.com scouting report and it has a jack-of-all-trades ring to it... no real strengths, no real weaknesses. Sounds like a mid-round talent to me...

On his drop I did find this:

"Dennard was remorseful after his Capital One Bowl scuffle with South Carolina wideout Alshon Jeffery. Dennard admitted he punched Jeffery, saying afterward, 'That's not the type of person I am.'"

Again, I don't think a one-off incident where he was celebrating something, got into a scuffle and accidentally hit an officer trying to break it up is that off-putting. But doesn't read like that is the case...

04/23/12 - A probable cause affidavit states that former Nebraska football player Alfonzo Dennard was warned twice by police to leave Lincoln's downtown bar area before he was arrested on suspicion of assaulting an officer early Saturday morning. Dennard, 22, remained in Lancaster County Jail Monday morning. He is set to be arraigned at 2 p.m. Monday. A police report says officers observed Dennard, while walking eastbound in the 14th Street crosswalk, bumping into a 22-year-old and punching him in the chest around 2:15 a.m. Saturday. According to the affidavit, Dennard was also involved in two separate verbal arguments outside the Hour Lounge before that alleged assault. Police told him to leave the area after both incidents, according to the affidavit. The affidavit says Dennard engaged in a third altercation and punched a man. As police intervened and attempted to place Dennard in custody, he pushed and punched one officer, according to the affidavit. The injured officer, identified by Lincoln police as a four-year veteran, suffered a 2-centimeter abrasion to his left jaw, according to the affidavit. It took four officers to arrest Dennard, who was cited on suspicion of third-degree assault of an officer, resisting arrest and third-degree assault. - Jon Nyatawa, The Omaha World-Herald

Maybe that it took four to subdue him will raise his stock... B)

My guess is after reading the above he is off of our board altogether...

Sounds like a Raider if this was a couple years ago... or a Bengal. :D Best bet today might be the Jets...

Archived