THE BROWNS BOARD

First 7 Picks...

SDBrownsFan

First 7 picks…

4. T Richardson RB

I think the two players are Richardson and Claiborne. I think the Browns really liked Peterson last year, but I don’t think they believe Claiborne is at the same level- and most scouts you hear feel that way as well. I think the FO is entrenched in the fact that you find your QB, LT and DE in the Top 10 and we can find our playmakers later, but this isn’t any ordinary draft. Richardson does it all and the fact that he will have his hands in more plays than any other guy besides a QB makes him an obvious choice for a GM and Head Coach needing to produce this season.

22. J. Martin RT or Reilly Reiff RT

One of these two will be here; two many teams ahead of this pick are looking pass rush and defense in general- both are very good RT prospects but decent on the left side and both guys hold more value to a team needing a RT and not a LT. It’s a passing league- but when we are in ball games its clear what the Browns do (Seahawks 31 carries for Hardesty)and (Colts game Hillis on the ground most of the game). A RT completes the OL unit and helps the running game and pass protection.

37. Vinny Curry DE Marshall

Need a pass rush. Sheard can’t do it all, and we’d be adding Sheard’s twin on the other side, but this guy looks stout against the run. We ask our LBs to tackle and contain the ground game- we need 4 guys up front that get after the QB and create turnovers.

3rd Round TY Hilton WR Florida A&M

This guy is rising up the draft board. Serves two roles Punt Returner and Slot WR- would be a nice pairing with Little- who I think emerges as a better target next season. The next DeSean Jackson.

4th- Sean Spence LB Miami

Probably a top special teams guy for the first couple years- maybe turns into a situational pass rusher. One of the weaknesses week in and week out with our defense was the flat routes and our LBs getting out and making plays on those routes- we need athleticism in our LB corp.

4th- Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma

We can afford to take a guy that could have a high upside but may not be a factor this year. We have 13 picks. I’d like to see if a Cribbs or MoMass become better in our offense- if not we have a replacement the following year.

5th- Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin-

It wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes one of the top QBs in this class. The guy learned a new offense his Sr. year- something he will do again- and ran it like he was a part of it for 4 years.

Only regret I didn’t take a corner, but I would take a flyer on two maybe three guys with final picks and see if one competes for playing time next season and can develop down the road. Really like our trenches now, I think we’ve added serious speed with Richardson, Hilton, Spence. I think we’ve done enough on defense, but also fixed some of the bigger problems on offense.

1st Rnd fine... the TR lovers have worn me down to the point where I can accept him. Martin is a solid pick.

Curry at #37 when the only FA moves we've made are at DE? Not seeing that. I think we are going to pass rush by committee with Sheard leading the way. Too many other needs to go DE here.

Whose board is Hilton rising on? Marvin Jones (Cal) is a complete WR and a solid 3rd Rnd pick. Hilton is a speedster, but that's about it, and a real reach in the 3rd... IMO and on a couple sites I watch. 4th Rnd... maybe.

Spence in the 4th... Agree on OLB being a position of need, but I'm not crazy about his 5'11" height. I guess he makes up for it by only weighing 230 and not being all that fast... or strong... :D Hard to knock a 4-year starter who has historically proven his doubters wrong, but that's just the kind of guy I am.

Broyles might be worth a shot... I am rooting for the kid. It depends on the Dr.'s report and who else is on the board. We still need a guard (or LB, if we went guard in the 3rd or 4th).

In my mock I also went QB in the 5th, but opted for Nick Foles (AZ). For my tastes Wilson is too similar to Seneca. I like Seneca, but I don't want to clone him. Foles is about as opposite as you can get from Seneca... and Colt... Then again Seneca is getting a bit long in the tooth and I think we can agree that Holmgren kinda likes Seneca... so could be...

Not taking a CB mid-rounds is a plus IMO. There's really not much value there (cough... Chase is not his Daddy... cough). I ended up plucking Coty Sensabaugh (Clem) in Rnd 6. At 5'11"/189 & 4.42 speed plus cover skills, I thought he could be a special teamer/ dime back in 2012.

The more I look at Lemichael James the more i think we need him somewhere in our Offense. I know he played in the Pac10 or 12 whatever its called now, anyway the dude averaged 7.3ypc. If we get our other important pieces early i say try to get back into the 3rd to snag him. He could be our percy harvin.

The more I look at Lemichael James the more i think we need him somewhere in our Offense. I know he played in the Pac10 or 12 whatever its called now, anyway the dude averaged 7.3ypc. If we get our other important pieces early i say try to get back into the 3rd to snag him. He could be our percy harvin.

They won't take him if they take TR.

1st Rnd fine...

Curry at #37 when the only FA moves we've made are at DE? Not seeing that. I think we are going to pass rush by committee with Sheard leading the way.

Whose board is Hilton rising on? Marvin Jones (Cal) is a complete WR and a solid 3rd Rnd pick. Hilton is a speedster, but that's about it, and a real reach in the 3rd... IMO and on a couple sites I watch.

Spence in the 4th... Agree on OLB being a position of need, but I'm not crazy about his 5'11" height. I guess he makes up for it by only weighing 230 and not being all that fast... or strong... :D Hard to knock a 4-year starter who has historically proven his size doubters wrong, but that's just the kind of guy I am.

Broyles might be worth a shot... I am rooting for the kid. It depends who else is on the board. We still need a guard (or LB, if we went guard in the 3rd or 4th).

In my mock I also went QB in the 5th, but opted for Nick Foles (AZ). For my tastes Wilson is too similar to Seneca. I like Seneca, but I don't want to clone him. Foles is about as opposite as you can get from Seneca... and Colt... Then again Seneca is getting a bit long in the tooth and I think we can agree that Holmgren kinda likes Seneca... so could be...

Not taking a CB mid-rounds is a plus IMO. There's really not much value there (cough... Chase is not his Daddy... cough). I ended up plucking Coty Sensabaugh (Clem) in Rnd 6. At 5'11"/189 & 4.42 speed plus cover skills, I thought he could be a special teamer/ dime back.

Here's my take on our DE situation...

We put alot of faith in Jayme Mitchell who didn't turn out to be the guy- we ultimately had problems at that position as teams went to that side. I look at Parker and Rucker as depth moves with Rucker being more of Run defender (as his stats show) his compliment would be a situational passing down pash rusher (Curry?). When teams around the league make adjustments and focus on our only source of pass rush- will we have an answer? You can't make the pass rush element of our team a project by committee after Sheard- you can if you expect poor results.

#37 could be interesting I don't see value here at WR or Right tackle position. After Floyd I want to avoid the WR position until the 3rd round.

The knock on Hilton- scouts are worried about him handling press coverage- great speed, good hands, excellent in the open field after the catch and return wizard.

First 7 picks…

4. T Richardson RB

I think the two players are Richardson and Claiborne. I think the Browns really liked Peterson last year, but I don’t think they believe Claiborne is at the same level- and most scouts you hear feel that way as well.

VALUE AT DEFENSIVE BACK

In 2011, two defensive backs were considered above the rest of the class at their position, Patrick Peterson of Louisiana State University and Prince Amukamara from Nebraska. Peterson’s former LSU teammate, Morris Claiborne, is widely considered the best cornerback eligible for the 2012 NFL Draft.

“There’s a couple guys that are really good and he’s obviously a really good corner,” Heckert said of Claiborne. “You have to have three legit corners to survive in this league. That’s why corners are such a big deal and he’s a really, really good one. They’re different. Peterson was super-fast and Mo’s not as fast. He’s got phenomenal ball skills. They’re both really good and they make a lot of plays.”

Posted Apr 19, 2012

By Matt Florjancic, Staff Writer

in an article of the official brown's web site.

#4 claiborne or blackmon

#22 martin RB boise st.

I hear ya...

You might not be aware/ remember, but in my mock I traded down and took Ingram in Rnd 1 to complete our D-line... and got bludgeoned for it... :wacko:

Hill is just too one-dimensional for my tastes. Marvin Jones' combine results (6'2"/200 & 4.46 speed) caught my eye, so I found some tape on him.

C'mon 26 Apr...

We may take a DE, but no way it's that high of a pick. Rucker was brought in as a run stopper and I think we plan to use Marcus Benard in pass rushing situations (don't forget about him).

I like Richardson and Martin

I also like Broyles and Wilson

Don't like the other three picks...

Actually, i don't hate the Sean Spence pick, but I'd like to get a better OLB in the third.

Going with:

4 Richardson RB Alabama

22 Dont'a Hightower LB Alabama

37 Bobbie Massie OL Ole Miss

67 Brandon Taylor S LSU

100 Jamel Fleming CB Oklahoma

118 Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma

also see us trading down into the 4th to grab another WR... maybe Nick Toon WR Wisconson

Went with BPA, knowing we need players, addressed two issues on the Offense but fel the safety and CB rated higher than the WR available in round 3.

Archived