THE BROWNS BOARD

If Only We Had Stricter Gun Control Laws

Chicopee John

Florida man mistakes girlfriend for hog, shoots her

By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow – 5 hrs ago

A Florida man mistook his girlfriend for a hog, shooting her

A Florida couple was on a weekend camping trip that ended in an airlift to the emergency room.

52-year-old Steven Egan was hunting with his girlfriend Lisa Simmons in the northern part of the state when he mistook her for a hog and shot her.

"He saw a hog and thought he shot it and went to look for it," Maj. Steve Clair of the Flagler County Sheriff's Office told ABC News. "He heard her and thought it was a hog and just shot."

The mistake was not actually related to her appearance. Rather, Egan had earlier shot at a hog that continued to evade him. He reportedly instructed Simmons to stay at their campsite while he pursued the evasive animal, according to the Flagler County Sheriff's Office However, Simmons ventured away from the campsite, apparently searching for oranges that had fallen from nearby trees.

When Egan heard rustling in the woods, he fired in her direction without first making visual confirmation with his intended target. Instead, Simmons was struck in the legs by a .30-caliber bullet from Egan's gun. She was airlifted to the nearby Halifax Health Medical Center where she is listed as being in serious condition.

Authorities say they aren't planning to charge Egan for the accidental shooting.

"He was very sympathetic that he'd shot his girlfriend," Maj. Clair said. "It was an accident. I think it was just a violation of one of the cardinal rules of hunting which is you never shoot what you don't see."

That last one is the funniest thing I've ever seen John post. LOL

Shooting what you can't see is breaking one of the most basic, and most important safety rules of hunting.

He could have done the same thing with a bow and arrow.

When I teach kids how to ride an ATV, or handling a gun - even a pellet gun... they have to endure

many, many speeches about safety. The rules I learned from my Dad when I was kid, and why the rules

are absolutely important.

The guy was really fortunate his outlandish irresponsibility didn't kill her. Or some children who may have been hiking.

So sad. I nearly shot a kid once - I've told that story.

But, I followed the rule at the last second, when I couldn't see what the slight movement behind a bush on the lower part of a hill was.

And I was sighted right on a rabbit, clear as day.

It has nothin to do with stricter gun control ... but John knows that.

More like, thank goodness for this grandmother having a loaded gun to shoot back with; she saved her life by packing.

THIS is what is more about.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2012/04/24/georgia-grandmother-foils-robbery-by-getting-into-shootout-with-suspects/

I love anchovis !

Especially on pizza. And, I like Ritz crackers, with a spread of cream cheese, and an anchovie to make

a nice cracke sandwich.

With root beer on the rocks, of course.

Archived