THE BROWNS BOARD

Slow News Week

heckofajobbrownie

I care. Take it to the barbershop board. That's what it's for.

Libs always want to break the rules, change the message, control the content.

any way, some way, they can.

Really tough to filter everything down like that but...

60s Sargent Pepper

70s Desperado

80s Imperial Bedroom

90s Painted from Memory

I'll have to think about the next 2 decades....

WSS

I didn't figure you for such an Elvis fan.

I'd have Physical Graffiti for the 70s, I think. Might agree on Sgt. Pepper's.

You care Cal!!!!

You care, like an emotion!??!?!?

Emotions are BAD remember?

Quit FEELING, you liberal socialiast marxist terrorist

60's Sargeant Pepper.......Beatles

70's Darkside of the Moon.........Pink Floyd

80's Master of Puppets........Metallica

90's Ten......Pearl Jam

I'm not a lib, Cal.

The camaraderie is what makes PD the second most popular board.

Remember Shep always demanding the opposition be censored deleted quarantined or banned?

Plus this is a familiar group here, despite our differences.

WSS

I didn't figure you for such an Elvis fan.

I'd have Physical Graffiti for the 70s, I think. Might agree on Sgt. Pepper's.

I think that's probably generational.

I was a little older so I wasn't really swept up in to the hard rock of the seventies.

I never really got zep or floyd.

I realize many of those bands are extremely important.

Just right now I'm finishing up a book about 1970 and simon and garfunkel, james taylor, the beatles, and c s n y.

Interesting stuff, if not earth shattering.

WSS

I think that's probably generational.

I was a little older so I wasn't really swept up in to the hard rock of the seventies.

I never really got zep or floyd.

I realize many of those bands are extremely important.

Just right now I'm finishing up a book about 1970 and simon and garfunkel, james taylor, the beatles, and c s n y.

Interesting stuff, if not earth shattering.

WSS

Physical Graffiti still holds up against anyone who has come since. And the variety in there is pretty amazing.

I like the Master of the Puppets nod from the new guy. That'd be up there for me. I don't suspect you're a fan, but that was a transitional album.

For 90s I'd probably go with OK Computer or Achtung Baby. I think U2 has slipped in a really big way with these last 3-4 albums, but Achtung Baby is just incredible front to back.

I'd have to think about the 2000s. The Rising comes to mind.

I'll have to give this some thought.

Funny thing for me, at least, that some music I just loved in the 1960 - 1985, doesn't hold up for me these days.

Case in point. Going to school in Boston gave me great access to places like The Orpheum, Music Hall, Garden, etc.

I eagerly awaited Little Feat's visit each semester and was able to get great seats most of the time. Now I listen to 'Waiting for Columbus' and, although it still sounds good, it lost some of the luster it once had for me. Of course, that band changed drastically in 1979 but - even the vintage stuff - hasn't aged well for me. Probably it's me.

I saw dozens of Grateful Dead Shows (not to mention Garcia side projects, etc.) and today I can't believe I once liked that ship.

Any way, today I am more into listening to Singer-Songwriters more than bands - again, probably a result of my 'maturity'.

Still like some of the 'old guys' though as they still produce - Charlie Musselwhite's, "The Well" being a case in point.

Let me have a couple PBRs and I'll be back to this thread.

Ha. I'm about to go to a bar and watch the Bruins game at this dive where they have PBR on tap, which you don't find many places.

You could throw your favorite beers in there, too, if you like. I'd name one for taste, and you favorite when you're having more than one or two.

My favorite for a night of drinking: Michelob. No one drinks it anymore, but I think it's great. I'd put Labatt's Blue and Dos Equis in there as well.

Favorite beer: Boont Amber Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing Co. Spectacular, especially if you can find it on tap.

I'm looking forward to the Bruins game too. Not a huge hockey fan but my son, Jack, is. Watching sports with him these days is more fun than the sports on TV, it seems.

In a few short months he heads to Storrs (UCONN) so I like to take advantage of moments like tonight's game.

"Cat's in the Cradle" is a song that hurts to listen to these days.

You know i wasn't referring to you, Steve.

But I see trends. And changing the content of a board is one of them.

Trying to isolate conservative members is another, via silence, or personal slurs.

It is not a slow news week. It's just a bad week for libs to talk about anything.

Obamaocare - I think is going down, ...AZ immigration - I THINK is going down...

I like the double live album by Allison Krouse and the Union Station, still.

Any album by Brad Paisley is excellent.

I don't do much rock. A lot of country I don't like, either.

I'm just pretty contrary about music. My favorite music is the great outdoors. @@

I'm looking forward to the Bruins game too. Not a huge hockey fan but my son, Jack, is. Watching sports with him these days is more fun than the sports on TV, it seems.

In a few short months he heads to Storrs (UCONN) so I like to take advantage of moments like tonight's game.

hey, at least it's in-state tuition.

And don't move this thread, T. No one cares but you.

You will be lucky if my finger doesn't slip and hit the move button. As a note if it is OT move it the desired forum.

We have different forums for different discussions. You don't see Steve posting movie reviews under Political discussion do you?

Time moves fast John, enjoy your son while he is still in the house. He will remember it.

Me and the Mrs love it when our daughter comes to visit and we get to spoil the grandchildren.

You know i wasn't referring to you, Steve.

But I see trends. And changing the content of a board is one of them.

Trying to isolate conservative members is another, via silence, or personal slurs.

It is not a slow news week. It's just a bad week for libs to talk about anything.

Obamaocare - I think is going down, ...AZ immigration - I THINK is going down...

I like the double live album by Allison Krouse and the Union Station, still.

Any album by Brad Paisley is excellent.

I don't do much rock. A lot of country I don't like, either.

I'm just pretty contrary about music. My favorite music is the great outdoors. @@

That would be a good discussion. But I wouldn't count on any particpants from the left side of the aisle they are to busy pooring tears in their beers while they see every glimmer of hope of Obama's Stalinesque laws get shot to hell.

Thank God we have elections and can remove the scum from office.

Actually T I did start an OT thread .

A couple days ago I bought a new coffee maker and has asked my friends here, including you, what everyone thought of it.

WSS

I'm so proud of you.

edit:

Yeah the coffee thread. It does come to mind, we bought one for our daughter at Belks a little over a year ago and she loves it. Now she is always dropping hints when she is out of coffee. If yo check out a near by Kohl's dept. store sometimes you can find the single serving coffees on sale.

edit 2:

We bought the coffee maker for $69 on sale, that was a bargain!

Speaking of alison krauss, wasn't that the name of a girl killed at kent state?

wonder if the singer took the pseudonym for that reason?

But I like having a little variety among friends.

WSS

:angry:

Now I'm offended. Actually, you are quite correct. I even had to go look it up... and I was there that day.

It's ALISON KRAUSS and the Union Station.

Pretty good correlation, there, Steve.

I hate you now. LOL

I'm so proud of you.

edit:

Yeah the coffee thread. It does come to mind, we bought one for our daughter at Belks a little over a year ago and she loves it. Now she is always dropping hints when she is out of coffee. If yo check out a near by Kohl's dept. store sometimes you can find the single serving coffees on sale.

edit 2:

We bought the coffee maker for $69 on sale, that was a bargain!

that's pretty cheap!

Mine is like 134 from amazon.

Bigcat.com has good deals on the pods and free shipping if you spend 75 bucks...

WSS

Physical Graffiti still holds up against anyone who has come since. And the variety in there is pretty amazing.

I like the Master of the Puppets nod from the new guy. That'd be up there for me. I don't suspect you're a fan, but that was a transitional album.

For 90s I'd probably go with OK Computer or Achtung Baby. I think U2 has slipped in a really big way with these last 3-4 albums, but Achtung Baby is just incredible front to back.

I'd have to think about the 2000s. The Rising comes to mind.

I really wanted to be a U2 fan but just never really warmed up to them. I like'em just not deeply.

There must be some sociological and psychological studies about why certain people warm up to, or not, certain important musical milestone artists.

I like Black from Metallica.

WSS

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_albums70s.html

So those of us in our fifty's probably have a decent recollection of the seventy's.

Most of those look damned important to me in 1 way or another.

I wonder if the eighty's ninety's and 2000 list will look that way to me.

WSS

Exile would be right up there for me too.

But you're right. This is the heyday. The 80s were an awful decade for music. Just awful. The 90s were much better, but probably not your cup of tea.

It is interesting to see the music shift from the topical to the mainstream generation after generation.

I think each group upon coming of age musically rebels against not their parents music but their older brothers and sisters.

Musical taste, at least among younger fans is a banner of their generation.

Glam Rebels against punk who rebelled against metal who rebelled against disco Who rebelled against hippies who rebelled against pop who rebelled against folkies who rebelled against doo wop etc etc.

those who complain so much about the controlled medium should remember that the scope of what you had to choose from in the sixty's fifty's forty's thirty's was a hell of a lot tighter than it is now.

MTV was a milestone in entertainment and there were barely a handful of videos compared to today.

WSS

But MTV doesn't show videos anymore. It's not even about music. It's just teens and 20-somethings with personality disorders trying to find a threesome.

YouTube/Vevo/Itunes are the only place to find videos now.

It's okay. It's a mostly stupid art form anyway.

Do you have a favorite Stones song? I'd probably go Tumbling Dice, but I'd have to think about it.

I guess I wasn't clear.

I'm aware what mtv has become.

In the earlier days and popularity of music video they were the only game in town.

That's what I was talking about.

it's hard to pinpoint any 1 of the many many great rock songs the stones have had.

Gimme shelter sympathy for the devil wild horses .... I think my favorite album is beggars banquet.

( By the way did you mean exile on main street or the japanese pop band?)

WSS

I guess I wasn't clear.

I'm aware what mtv has become.

In the earlier days and popularity of music video they were the only game in town.

That's what I was talking about.

it's hard to pinpoint any 1 of the many many great rock songs the stones have had.

Gimme shelter sympathy for the devil wild horses .... I think my favorite album is beggars banquet.

( By the way did you mean exile on main street or the japanese pop band?)

WSS

Ha. I will happily admit I'm unfamiliar with the Japanese rock music scene. Actually, the Japanese guy who lives next door to me has a band, and when they practice into the wee hours I frequently come close to killing him.

I'm just saying. Some languages weren't meant to be sung.

Archived