THE BROWNS BOARD

Burfict Fails Drug Test

Butler Browns

Good, that means he will definitely be there in the 7th!

Let's translate this to real world for ya. Guy fails not one (combine) but two (pro day workout) [make that job interviews] where he can't outrun some offensive or defensive linemen, has known anger management issues, and flunks your company's pre employment drug test. If you're the head of HR, and hire this guy to work for me- as the CEO- I'm going to fire YOU.

I'm gonna look at what he did on the field and how he can be a difference maker for some team. As a team that is hurting for LBs and hard nosed ones at that. Why not. He is a late round pick, and if he proves he can stay in the offseason and if he stays out of trouble its a good pick. If he does get into trouble, drop him at the first sign of it. I mean if we're going to be getting the Larry Asante's, Cliften Gaethers, Carlton Mitchells, Eric Hagg(Still up in the air I do like him), of the world. Why not go to a guy that was probably high on the draft board early on in the year.

A lot of people would say that Tom Brady failed his combine/offseason stuff. What does that tell -- Most of it is a load of shit.

If I was a team with a bunch of positive influences and veteran presence on D, I would use a late round pick on him. Low risk High reward

Burfict already has a "positive influence" - his agent- who's likely been telling him for months exactly how not to f**k up. Vontae is doing a stellar job of doing the exact opposite.

Question is- why even waste a pick on the guy? Burfict is clearly too dumb\arrogant to care. Did you miss his combine numbers sucked donkey dong on top of it?

I could see taking a chance on the guy if he had incredible measurables. Holy shit- a 4.9 40 at the combine. I'd bet some heavy money a couple of my 20 something nephews (6'6", 220) can do better than that. Maybe his next excuse will be "I was high". You going to hire someone who shows up for a job interview stoned?

This guy has nothing but trouble with a capital "T" written all over him. Go play for the Iowa Barnstormers, or in the CFL for a few years, PROVE you've cleaned up your act, and then we'll talk.

Burfict may well set a record- as biggest fall in history of a player in the draft- from potential first rounder to UFA.

Burfict already has a "positive influence" - his agent- who's likely been telling him for months exactly how not to f**k up. Vontae is doing a stellar job of doing the exact opposite.

Yeah because Agents are classy citizens...

Question is- why even waste a pick on the guy?

Question is why even waste any 7th round pick on anyone? There's a reason they're there in the 7th right?

I could see taking a chance on the guy if he had incredible measurables. Holy shit- a 4.9 40 at the combine. I'd bet some heavy money a couple of my 20 something nephews (6'6", 220) can do better than that. Maybe his next excuse will be "I was high". You going to hire someone who shows up for a job interview stoned?

Yeah, until he comes out and says something like that, how about we lay off the acquisitions and stop with the hypotheticals.

"Yeah, until he comes out and says something like that, how about we lay off the acquisitions and stop with the hypotheticals."

What's hypothetical about 4.9? What's hypothetical about a failed drug test? Browns aren't taking this piece of crap- and that isn't a hypothetical.

"Yeah, until he comes out and says something like that, how about we lay off the acquisitions and stop with the hypotheticals."

What's hypothetical about 4.9? What's hypothetical about a failed drug test? Browns aren't taking this piece of crap- and that isn't a hypothetical.

I'm clearly talking about the fact that you stated "Maybe his next excuse will be "I was high". You going to hire someone who shows up for a job interview stoned?"

Smoke can stay in your body for like 3 months. It could have been a while since the last time he smoked, also I think if they take a hair sample it's something like 6 months. So that's the hypothetical I'm talking about nimrod.

facts: 3 months is 2 months too long. a follicle test produces results based on hair length. being that hair is dead cells, the impurities are not purged, rather, they remain in the cells indefinitely.

timelines aside, its irrelevant to this genius smoking up when he had proper warning to get clean.

Remember when Butch drafted the guy that was being investigated for a felony and eventually was convicted and never played a down in the NFL?

That was brilliant.

Zombo

Great background check by Lew Merletti and staff:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004148820_rbpharms280.html

Zombo

--Don't think a guy pissing on himself would intimidate me, btw

i love me some grass....spent more years high than sober. yet, even I can quit on demand when needed. i quit for 5 months during my latest job search, which was totally worth it, and a small price to pay for the greater good. afterall, hard to buy grass with no money. lol...

nevertheless, burfict has displayed a complete lack of self control....both on the field with penalties and off the field with the failed drug test and bombing his pro-day and combine.

this kid is not mentally prepared or even capable of succeeding at the pro-level, where demands are increased 10-fold over college. if the proposition of a multimillion dollar job can't motivate this kid, nothing will.

Jeremy Pharms or something like that.

Jeremiah Pharms. Allegedly beat and shot a marijuana dealer and spent 27 months in prison. After being released, he played two seasons for the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League.

He also converted to Izzlaaaaaam in prison. Big surprise there. :rolleyes:

Great background check by Lew Merletti and staff:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004148820_rbpharms280.html

Zombo

--Don't think a guy pissing on himself would intimidate me, btw

True... probably more like amuse or disgust... then again, if he's dehydrated... and you're a RB...

Wow... I did not remember Pharms. The article left me wondering if THC masks steroids...

He also converted to Izzlaaaaaam in prison. Big surprise there. :rolleyes:

And the newb let's his wacko flag fly... :blink:

I'm clearly talking about the fact that you stated "Maybe his next excuse will be "I was high". You going to hire someone who shows up for a job interview stoned?"

Smoke can stay in your body for like 3 months. It could have been a while since the last time he smoked, also I think if they take a hair sample it's something like 6 months. So that's the hypothetical I'm talking about nimrod.

Too bad my hyperbole went way over your head. I was making fun of the fact of his lousy 40 time. Burfict has been doing a great job lately making excuses for himself as to why all of a sudden, he sucks. I thought I'd make another one up for him. :) :)

The failed drug test is just icing on the cake, doesn't matter if it was just weed. If you know they're going to drug test you, you're an idiot or don't care not to stay clean. The crappy 40 time wasn't hypothetical, the constant personal fouls @ ASU, the lousy interviews with NFL teams.... Yeah I made that up. The guy has potentially pissed away a few million dollars worth of NFL money- so now I'm supposed to believe all of a sudden, he's "grown up"?

Here's an article from draft breakdown.com

Heading into his 2011 senior season, Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict looked like a top-tier talent with the potential to be a Top 10 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

And then, NFL teams began to see the troubled tackler for what he really was: a disaster waiting to happen.

Questions already lingered after his time with the Sun Devils. Throughout his college career, he became known for being unable to control his temper. Time and time again, he failed to keep his cool in clutch situations and racked up inexcusable amounts of personal foul penalties. The man was a walking magnet for yellow flags. At times, the ASU coaches were even forced to pull him from the lineup because he couldn’t control himself in do-or-die situations. In short, he was a liability.

Combining an immeasurable immaturity with a lack of discipline both on and off of the football field, Burfict has taken it upon himself since his senior year at ASU ended to do everything in his power to sully his draft stock. The tide began to turn against Burfict at the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine, when a 5.09 40-yard dash made him the slowest linebacker in Indianapolis. His 4.65 short shuttle also left little to be desired. He looked sluggish, out of shape and wasn’t alleviating any of the worries that teams had about him.

To make matters even worse, his numerous interviews with NFL teams reportedly went bad. Burfict struggled to impress teams in person-to-person interactions and continuously made excuses for his lack of physical preparation for the Combine. At every turn, Burfict was putting another bullet in his own foot.

Vontaze Burfict Combine“I blame myself, it was just immaturity,” Burfict said after his disappointing Combine performance. “I’m growing up and realizing what the world is about and I’ve just got to work harder in everything I do.”

Even during his two Pro Days following the Combine, Burfict still struggled to show improvement. Even though his 40-yard dash time decreased to 4.8, he still looked sluggish and slow. By all appearances, Burfict had become a lackluster prospect with little future as an NFL-caliber talent.

Burfict’s free-fall down the pre-draft rankings is one of the worst that the NFL has ever seen. From a potential first-round pick to possibly going undrafted, Burfict has become the perfect example of a player looking to ruin his own chances at making it in the NFL.

According to his agent Charles Price, no NFL teams have scheduled visits or private workouts with Burfict. With the draft just over a week away, that’s not a good sign for a linebacker whose chances at getting drafted continue to grow slimmer and slimmer. Although it seems likely that some team will take a flier on him in the late rounds of the upcoming draft, his value has dropped drastically below where it was once believed to be. The worst part: Burfict hasn’t taken the actions necessary to revive it.

It’s sad to see so much potential go to waste. The only person to blame, however, is Burfict himself.

Archived