THE BROWNS BOARD

Saving The President Of Cleveland

Dick Mellon

Mike Holmgren is one of two people on the planet with a winning record against PIT.

The other guy is Bill Belichick, who is under contract with NE and unavailable to help CLE.

Holmgren was brought in to beat the Steelers.

Holmgren is 0-4 against PIT as the President of Cleveland.

The collective score is PIT 96 - CLE 32.

Does Holmgren need to beat PIT this season to remain The President Of Cleveland?

There may be a perfect storm brewing for the Steelers at Cleveland on week 11.

The Steelers come to Cleveland after being beat up by the Ravens in week 10.

Then the Steelers face the Ravens again in week 12.

PIT may look at that week 11 game at CLE as a working vacation, a practice game, a scrimmage, and a rest before and after the Ravens.

Maybe Big Ben will be, "out," and we will see Batch, Leftwich, or Troy Smith (yeh he is in camp this season). . .

The Browns will look at week 11 as their Super Bowl.

This could be the game that saves the President of Cleveland.

noteworthy: You can go back through 80 years of history to find other head coaches with winning records against PIT, but in the modern era, Mike Holmgren and Bill Belichick are the only two active NFL people with an established winning records as head coaches against the Steelers.

post-13208-0-91488700-1336427128_thumb.jpg

Mike Holmgren is one of two people on the planet with a winning record against PIT.

The other guy is Bill Belichick, who is under contract with NE and unavailable to help CLE.

Holmgren was brought in to beat the Steelers.

Holmgren is 0-4 against PIT as the President of Cleveland.

The collective score is PIT 96 - CLE 32.

Does Holmgren need to beat PIT this season to remain The President Of Cleveland?

There may be a perfect storm brewing for the Steelers at Cleveland on week 11.

The Steelers come to Cleveland after being beat up by the Ravens in week 10.

Then the Steelers face the Ravens again in week 12.

PIT may look at that week 11 game at CLE as a working vacation, a practice game, a scrimmage, and a rest before and after the Ravens.

Maybe Big Ben will be, "out," and we will see Batch, Leftwich, or Troy Smith (yeh he is in camp this season). . .

The Browns will look at week 11 as their Super Bowl.

This could be the game that saves the President of Cleveland.

noteworthy: You can go back through 80 years of history to find other head coaches with winning records against PIT, but in the modern era, Mike Holmgren and Bill Belichick are the only two active NFL people with an established winning records as head coaches against the Steelers.

While I appreciate a winning record against the Steelers (as we play em twice a year), I could care less if we sweep Pittsburgh and don't make something of the season.

And THIS disturbs me. Week 11 is our Super Bowl? No, no no. I'm so sick of that. I hear browns fans say that about the Ravens, Steelers, and sometimes Bengals. The Superbowl is the only Superbowl. And as long as "beating the Steelers twice this year!!!1" or even, God forbid, splitting with them, is our main goal, we'll always be a joke.

I thought this might have been a thread about Grover Cleveland.

Maybe Holmgren will pull off a Grover Cleveland....get reelected to a second non-consecutive term.....as President.....of the Seattle Seahawks when the Pete Carroll experiment goes awry.

Very little lies on how Cleveland fares against Pittsburgh. Holmgren will be judged more by how the team fares overall. Also the Browns wont treat the game against Steelers like it is their superbowl ... sorry to disappoint you honey, but you just aren't that important to us.

To correct myself:

Bill Belichick does not have a career winning record against PIT.

That leaves Mike Holmgren as the only active NFL guy on the planet with a career winning record as a head coach against PIT.

Bill Belichick's career record versus PIT is as follows:

3 - 8 as head coach of the Browns.

6 - 3 with the Patriots.

9 - 11 overall.

Very little lies on how Cleveland fares against Pittsburgh. Holmgren will be judged more by how the team fares overall. Also the Browns wont treat the game against Steelers like it is their superbowl ... sorry to disappoint you honey, but you just aren't that important to us.

Thanks for your perspective.

According to Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, beating Cleveland is very important to him, even if it's a meaningless game at the end of the season. Tomlin has angrily admonished reporters for using the term, "meaningless game." Tomlin snapped back at one reporter saying, "This is a division game! This is Cleveland!"

Tomlin backed up his angry rhetoric by playing his starters until Big Ben hit his head and got carted off.

It's a good thing that beating the Steelers in not all that important to you, since it rarely ever happens.

Yes, its true. Big Ben has, uh, raped the Browns on a number of occasions.

I never liked that guy. He always seemed like the perfect iconic dumb jock to me.

Oh! Did you notice that he just went back to Ahia (Ohio) to finish college 8 years late.

Now he has a worthless degree from a shitty school to add to his list of accomplishments in life.

When it finally came out in the news that Ben was a class-A jerkwad, I was not surprised.

It's quite an accomplishment to make the cover of Sports Illustrated for being a piece of shit.

Among all of Ben's records and championships at Pittsburgh, his most significant record that will never be broken, is that he is banned from more bars and restaurants than anyone in Pittsburgh history.

He even surpassed my record!

With all of the raping that Ben has done to Cleveland, my favorite beat-down was the one done by Tommy Maddox on January 5, 2003.

That one should stick in yur mind as the last time CLE made the playoffs.

The credit for winning that game for PIT goes to the Brown's Offensive Coordinator, Bruce Arians, who's pass-happy offense could not run the ball to run out the clock and kept giving the ball back to Tommy Maddox, throwing to Plaxico Burris, Hines Ward, and Antwaan Randle El.

Bruce Arians did such a great job winning that game for PIT that the Steelers hired him!

Kinda reminds me of the Chargers' Cromartie refusing to tackle the JETS, then next season he plays for the JETS.

All y'all in the USA can watch video of that game at: (I can't watch it coz my non USA IP is blocked)

CLE AT PIT 1-5-2003

Notice that in the fourth quarter, with the lead, Bruce Arians says, "Keep throwing the (ball) son-of-a bitch!"

The result was several 3-and-outs giving the ball back to PIT for the come-from-behind win.

I never liked that guy. He always seemed like the perfect iconic dumb jock to me.

Oh! Did you notice that he just went back to Ahia (Ohio) to finish college 8 years late.

Now he has a worthless degree from a shitty school to add to his list of accomplishments in life.

BR may be shitty, but Miami OH. is NOT a shitty school by any means....assuming that is where he went to finish school. I mean, Ted Kascinski went to Harvard. Just because a shitty person went to a school doesn't make the school shitty.

When it finally came out in the news that Ben was a class-A jerkwad, I was not surprised.

It's quite an accomplishment to make the cover of Sports Illustrated for being a piece of shit.

Among all of Ben's records and championships at Pittsburgh, his most significant record that will never be broken, is that he is banned from more bars and restaurants than anyone in Pittsburgh history.

He even surpassed my record!

With all of the raping that Ben has done to Cleveland, my favorite beat-down was the one done by Tommy Maddox on January 5, 2003.

That one should stick in yur mind as the last time CLE made the playoffs.

The credit for winning that game for PIT goes to the Brown's Offensive Coordinator, Bruce Arians, who's pass-happy offense could not run the ball to run out the clock and kept giving the ball back to Tommy Maddox, throwing to Plaxico Burris, Hines Ward, and Antwaan Randle El.

Bruce Arians did such a great job winning that game for PIT that the Steelers hired him!

Kinda reminds me of the Chargers' Cromartie refusing to tackle the JETS, then next season he plays for the JETS.

Actually, I will beg to differ. The culprit in losing that game after leading by 17 points belongs squarely on the shoulders of Butch Davis....who instructed his defensive coordinator to go into a version of the prevent defense halfway through the third quarter. Yes, if the Browns had been able to run the ball and eat the clock that would have been good, but they didn't really change their offensive scheme. Davis changed the defensive scheme that allowed Pittsburgh to gain momentum and make that comeback. Without that I don't think Tommy Maddox would have been good enough to change the outcome.

All y'all in the USA can watch video of that game at: (I can't watch it coz my non USA IP is blocked)

CLE AT PIT 1-5-2003

Notice that in the fourth quarter, with the lead, Bruce Arians says, "Keep throwing the (ball) son-of-a bitch!"

The result was several 3-and-outs giving the ball back to PIT for the come-from-behind win.

Well, honestly, the Browns through the ball because they could not run it. And throwing would have worked if only Dennis Northcutt would have not dropped at least a couple of passes that were right in his hands.

Archived