THE BROWNS BOARD

Drumming Up Class Hatred

Mr. T

Drumming up class hatred

by Jeff Jacoby

THERE IS NOTHING NEW under the sun, including politicians who seek to win votes by milking the gap between rich and poor.

Today it's Barack Obama, demanding a "Buffett rule" and decrying the harm caused when "the gap between those at the very, very top and everybody else keeps growing wider and wider and wider and wider." Not so long ago it was John Edwards, intent on riding his "Two Americas" stump speech ("One America does the work while another America reaps the reward") all the way to the White House. Earlier still it was FDR, lambasting the wealthy who "did not want to pay a fair share" and boasting that he'd "increased still further the taxes paid by individuals in the highest brackets" because that was "the American thing to do."

Indeed, presidential candidates have been picking at the income-inequality scab since at least 1840. That was the year William Henry Harrison, running against incumbent Martin Van Buren during a recession, accused the president of pursuing policies "directed to the purpose of making the rich richer and the poor poorer." (Harrison won, but died a month after taking office.)

Those who peddle class resentment can always find ready takers; otherwise politicians wouldn't keep selling the same rug. But the demand for it is never as great as the demagogues imagine. Most Americans don't hate the rich, or even the very rich, and they don't despise the economic system that makes great wealth possible. "That all men are created equal" goes to the core of our national creed; its undeniable moral force led Americans to fight a horrific Civil War over slavery in the 19th century, and to embrace the legal and social upheaval of the Civil Rights movement in the 20th.

But what Americans honor is equality in the eyes of the law, political equality -- not equality of income or material circumstances. The two kinds of equality are inherently in conflict, as every effort to impose egalitarianism eventually proves. "There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal," wrote Friedrich Hayek in 1948. The fact that some people make much more money than others has never convinced the American people that a fundamental overhaul of society is necessary or even desirable. For all the extravagant claims made last year about Occupy Wall Street's significance, is anyone surprised that the movement has fizzled?

For months President Obama has been calling income inequality "the defining issue of our time," but relatively few Americans agree. In a recent Gallup poll, only 2 percent of respondents identified the gap between rich and poor as their top economic concern. Even among the Democrats in Gallup's survey, inequality didn't show up as a major worry.

Armed with a bully pulpit and backed by a liberal media chorus, Obama may have good political reasons to keep hammering away at the wealth gap. No doubt he can mobilize some voters with his suspect claims about billionaires paying a 1 percent tax rate, or the charge that Republicans want "everybody left to fend for themselves and play by their own rules."

But most voters understand intuitively that in a free society, unequal productivity will generate unequal wealth. Incentives and rewards are powerful motivators of work and risk-taking; and the greater the potential rewards, the more an economy will achieve. A Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or Sam Walton is far more likely to flourish in a nation where people can become millionaires and billionaires -- and to enrich all of us in the process of enriching themselves.

"In a democratic, capitalist society, gaps in income are inevitable," write Peter Wehner and Robert Beschel Jr. in the current issue of National Affairs. "Yet it is worth noting that democratic capitalism has done far more to create wealth, advance human flourishing, and lift people out of destitution than any other economic and political system.. A policy agenda that has as its top priority the elimination of income gaps . not only encourages resentment but also threatens the American economy - because a narrow focus on closing gaps tends to go along with reduced overall growth."

There is no fixed limit to the wealth a society can produce, and today's "1 percent" produce an amazing amount of it. But their wealth takes nothing away from the other 99 percent. We are all free to rise as high as talent, education, and hard work will take us. Wealth is not theft. Productivity is not zero-sum. If economic disparity is a problem, then the way to solve it is by raising those who are stuck near the bottom, not tearing down those who have climbed to the top.

Source

I endorse that message.

We are living in the greatest country in the world, ever.

When Pez Peace Prize says he wants to "fundamentally change" the USA it proves he hates the USA. It proves he is against what this country stands for.

If you've never read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights I challenge you to go and do it now.

if you dont agree with it then i suggest that you pack yur bags and leave. because we dont like shitbags like you who want to destroy our country. when will you ever do something productive with yur life?

Because the best choice of action when faced with wanting to change something that you care about very much is to run away. You should leave the forum Bunker. When will you ever do something productive with yur life?

Did you go read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights or not.

You are wasting your time with that pun.....guy.

It's not worth the effort.

So you don't think this is the best country ever? Seems like you have it pretty good.

I never said this isn't the best country ever, I mean, its definitely up there.

But to say this is the best country ever you would need to know a lot about and possibly have lived in every other country throughout history. I know its hard for some of you to think this, but America isn't the only game in town. Not every other country is some third world country or oppressed country looking to us for help. In fact we aren't ranked near the top in a lot of categories you'd consider when deciding the "best country, ever."

Yes, yes, I don't think "USA #1!" and therefore I am unpatriotic, not from Real America, a communist and just overall a bad person, right? That must be the only explanation.

That must be the only explanation.

Nope, there is another, and the correct answer.

You are dumb, young, and naive.

The young part will change with time. Hopefully you can change at least one of the others.

Nope, there is another, and the correct answer.

You are dumb, young, and naive.

The young part will change with time. Hopefully you can change at least one of the others.

So because I don't think the USA is the best country in Earth's 6000 year history it must be because I am young, dumb and naive?

Well I am young, but I am not dumb. I don't think I'm naive but I couldn't prove that either way

Woody,

Which countries/country do you think has surpassed the USA in greatness?

Note: Our credit rating was downgraded under Prez spend spend spend Peace Prize

Yes, yes. When the president you don't like is in office everything bad that happens is his fault and when the president you do like is in office everything good that happens is his fault... we get it.

As for the "Greatest Country Ever" thing, that is gonna be subjective. When you go look at ratings though for things like Education, Human Development Index, Quality of Life, etc., you'll see that it is not USA #1 and everyone else far behind. If it was truly the greatest country ever, I would think it would dominate in categories like this.

Look, I am not saying the US is a shitty country, its great, but there are other great countries out there too. We do not sit alone on a pedestal and we could improve in many ways.

The US is #1 in education offered, as far as universities go. It's a shame that most of the country is a bunch of inbred, redneck Retards, indoctrinated to fear science. We have the potential to be far greater than we actually are.

Yes our Universities are kick ass. That's why I have so many international friends.

I also agree we could be a lot better than we are and aren't at our potential.

When we have people like this in our country, it's easy to see why:

"woodpecker you always believe that yur right with that one sided pee brain of yurs. we have seen you attacking religion on a daily basis and use science or some other hypothesis to explain yur reasoning. just start looking around to see what is in plain view. "

OK Woody,

This country might never be great again after Prez Peace Prize gets through with it.

The president needs to be blamed, yes. He is first in the nation:

http://directorblue....plete-list.html

First President to Preside Over a Cut to the Credit Rating of the United States Government

• First President to Violate the War Powers Act

111002-solyndra-o-golf-small.jpg • First President to Orchestrate the Sale of Murder Weapons to Mexican Drug Cartels

First President to issue an unlawful "recess-appointment" while the U.S. Senate remained in session (against the advice of his own Justice Department).

• First President to be Held in Contempt of Court for Illegally Obstructing Oil Drilling in the Gulf of Mexico

• First president to intentionally disable credit card security measures in order to allow over-the-limit donations, foreign contributions and other illegal fundraising measures.

• First President to Defy a Federal Judge's Court Order to Cease Implementing the 'Health Care Reform' Law

First President to halt deportations of illegal aliens and grant them work permits, a form of stealth amnesty roughly equivalent to "The DREAM Act", which could not pass Congress

• First President to Sign a Law Requiring All Americans to Purchase a Product From a Third Party

• First President to Spend a Trillion Dollars on 'Shovel-Ready' Jobs -- and Later Admit There Was No Such Thing as Shovel-Ready Jobs

First President to sue states for requiring valid IDs to vote, even though the same administration requires valid IDs to travel by air

• First President to Abrogate Bankruptcy Law to Turn Over Control of Companies to His Union Supporters

• First President to sign into law a bill that permits the government to "hold anyone suspected of being associated with terrorism indefinitely, without any form of due process. No indictment. No judge or jury. No evidence. No trial. Just an indefinite jail sentence."

First President to Bypass Congress and Implement the DREAM Act Through Executive Fiat

• First President to Threaten Insurance Companies After They Publicly Spoke out on How Obamacare Helped Cause their Rate Increases

• First President to Openly Defy a Congressional Order Not To Share Sensitive Nuclear Defense Secrets With the Russian Government

• First President to Threaten an Auto Company (Ford) After It Publicly Mocked Bailouts of GM and Chrysler

• First President to "Order a Secret Amnesty Program that Stopped the Deportations of Illegal Immigrants Across the U.S., Including Those With Criminal Convictions"

• First President to Demand a Company Hand Over $20 Billion to One of His Political Appointees

• First President to Terminate America's Ability to Put a Man into Space.

• First President to Encourage Racial Discrimination and Intimidation at Polling Places

• First President to Have a Law Signed By an 'Auto-pen' Without Being "Present"

First President to send $200 million to a terrorist organization (Hamas) after Congress had explicitly frozen the money for fear it would fund attacks against civilians.

• First President to Arbitrarily Declare an Existing Law Unconstitutional and Refuse to Enforce It

• First President to Tell a Major Manufacturing Company In Which State They Are Allowed to Locate a Factory

• First President to refuse to comply with a House Oversight Committee subpoena.

• First President to File Lawsuits Against the States He Swore an Oath to Protect (AZ, WI, OH, IN, etc.)

• First President to Withdraw an Existing Coal Permit That Had Been Properly Issued Years Ago

• First President to Fire an Inspector General of Americorps for Catching One of His Friends in a Corruption Case

First President to Propose an Executive Order Demanding Companies Disclose Their Political Contributions to Bid on Government Contracts

• First President to Have His Administration Fund an Organization Tied to the Cop-Killing Weather Underground

• First President to allow Mexican police to conduct law enforcement activities on American soil

• First president to propose budgets so unreasonable that not a single representative from either party would cast a vote in favor ("Senate unanimously rejected President Obama's budget last year in 0-97 vote", Politico, "House Votes 414-0 to Reject Obama's Budget Plan", Blaze)

First President to press for a "treaty giving a U.N. body veto power over the use of our territorial waters and rights to half of all offshore oil revenue" (The Law Of The Sea Treaty)

• First President to Golf 90 or More Times in His First Three Years in Office

Archived