THE BROWNS BOARD

The Next Frontier?

Woody I know you watch south park too. I tend to agree with Trey parker when he says

Parker further remarked, "Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous — the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That,

to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever.

I watch South Park, but I don't agree with everything they say.

That would sound kinda crazy if there was nothing to back it up, but that's not the case. Religions are just stories people came up with to explain things they couldn't explain (or to make money). What you're describing is an explanation based on facts, science, evidence; not just a story.

The craziest sounding religion is probably scientology, or maybe some native American or like tribal religion somewhere.

Woody I know you watch south park too. I tend to agree with Trey parker when he says

Parker further remarked, "Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous — the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That,

to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever.

I don't understand why people need to be told a reason to live. I'm of the opinion that there isn't one unless you make one. We're here because of a bunch of laws that arise from nature and the passage of lots of time. That's the best I can do for "why." Any answer that goes deeper than that is speculation.

Never mind incest - what about inter-species marriage? I'm talking about the First Wookie and her metro man.

Requires consent, and seeing as other animals aren't on the same level of sentience as us, probably not going to happen. So can we give this argument up already?

I watch South Park, but I don't agree with everything they say.

That would sound kinda crazy if there was nothing to back it up, but that's not the case. Religions are just stories people came up with to explain things they couldn't explain (or to make money). What you're describing is an explanation based on facts, science, evidence; not just a story.

The craziest sounding religion is probably scientology, or maybe some native American or like tribal religion somewhere.

There's only theoretical science to back up things like the expanding galaxy. Theoretical science is no more reliable than religion. Science is not the end all be all of everything. When the science can be proved like chemical science is or like medical science it becomes more believable. Until then its just science fiction.

There's only theoretical science to back up things like the expanding galaxy. Theoretical science is no more reliable than religion. Science is not the end all be all of everything. When the science can be proved like chemical science is or like medical science it becomes more believable. Until then its just science fiction.

.... No

Lol, no. That's wrong. I'm at work and can't give a full explanation but maybe Vapor will.

There's evidence that the stars and celestial bodies are further away from us, but that's not the same as proof that the universe is expanding. For a guy that always snarkily answers 'prove it' whenever the bible is brought up...prove this. PROVE it. You can't, no one can. They can measure red shifts and determine things are farther away than they used to be. There's a number of theories that could explain that, but that's all they are. Theories. If nothing existed before the big bang what created the chemicals or elements or whatever that ignited it?

Both religion and science only can postulate theories. Theory is not fact.

Calm down, I'll give you a better answer after work.

A religious "theory" and a scientific theory are two completely different things.

I'm sorry woody, I don't mean to be confrontational its just the way I type. It's not really possible to prove, I already know that. My point is on a universal level we really have no idea what's going on or why. We simply don't have the technology. For all we know the universe IS expanding because God said it should. We could be microbes in a petrie dish and the other contaminants could be simply floating away. We just don't know. Science just can't prove or disprove god like you can prove mathematics.

A religious "theory" and a scientific theory are two completely different things.

No arguement here. But theorizing the existence of a designer or an engineer of it all is about as wild an idea that it happened because of random chaos in nothingness.

Taking the bible, Koran or Torah to be the literal actual unadulterated word of god is another matter altogether.

Side note of those three books I wrote above the bible is the only one that didn't auto-capitilize on Android. Useless but interesting.

We seem to agree on a couple points.

First, you make a good point about the whole "prove it" thing. I shouldn't being saying prove it, I should be saying "provide evidence of."

I think our disagreement is in how much belief we put into different types of theories. You agree with me that scientific and religious theories are completely different though. I think you are saying that a theory with some evidence is no better or worse than any other theory. This is where I disagree. The Bible's theory is that God made the universe and then Adam and Eve and Jesus and so on. There is little to no evidence to back any of this up. It was originated by a guy that wrote a book, that's it. The Big Bang Theory is something an inform scientist proposed based off of evidence he had. This theory was then reviewed by other scientists and compared against a new set of evidence that is always developing. I don't see how these can be considered anywhere near the same worth as far as a theory goes.

and you are right, science can not prove of disprove God. Nothing can. Not as of now at least.

Archived