THE BROWNS BOARD

The Cabin In The Woods Review

The Cabin in the Woods

Lionsgate

R 95 min

So before you read any further, I'd like to explain is there will be a spoiler involved. I will tell you up front should I give this film a c plus but that it was almost a b minus. The reason I do still owed a respectable grade to a horror film is that it did something we've never seen before. The acting isn't great the effects aren't spectacular and it's not even that frightening. So if I were you I'd stop reading right now because in my opinion this thing wouldn't have been nearly as much fun had I known the scoop beforehand.

It starts off switching between two separate types of scene.

Beer first includes a quintet of young adults about to take off for a party weekend at a friend’s cabin in the woods. Five Seemingly different types including a jock a brain a sleaze a virgin and a stoner. The second includes a bunch of technicians in a laboratory from which they apparently control the circumstances that those young kids will get themselves into. Right off the bat it's 50/50 slasher and science fiction rolled into one.

But wait, there's more!

Meanwhile, back at the cabin, the kids find all sorts of creepy stuff in the basement about a family who might be coming back from the dead. That will actually come to pass and now we have redneck zombies in the mix! Flash back to headquarters where something has gone terribly wrong. Somebody who is supposed to die doesn't and the people upstairs are pissed off. Remember the old jungle movies in which a virgin needs to be sacrificed to the evil demons? This is the same deal, only with modern technology.

For the climax if I say all hell breaks loose, I mean it literally. All hell actually does break loose, and that's never a good thing.

But it’s just weird enough to slide CABIN IN THE WOODS into the above average category.

C+

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aool.com

Archived