THE BROWNS BOARD

Chimpanzee Review

Chimpanzee

Disney

G 91 min

Just about everybody loves animals especially wild animals. And even among the most exotic wild animals the biggest favorites always seem to live in the monkey house. (By the way, I know chimpanzees aren't actually monkeys) Many of us grew up watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Jungle Larry as well as any number of real life wild animal stories.

It seems that I've been out of touch with that genre until today when I checked out Disney's CHIMPANZEE. Like so many of the nature documentaries what you get is a look at a time period of the lives of the animals themselves. That means there's not a whole lot to say about the plot. This story centers around two groups of the adorable primates in the wild. Here we follow the exploits of Freddy, the alpha male, and baby Oscar. For the most part those exploits concern finding food and eating it. Of course there are more chimps in the jungle to compete for that same food supply. Their alpha male is named Scar in case you needed to differentiate the good guys from the bad guys. You know there will eventually be a confrontation and then... well see for yourself.

Disney will usually insert just enough realism to keep you from thinking that the wild is a cartoon.

The subject matter here is not particularly ground breaking and the narration by Tim Allen is workmanlike but it is enjoyable throughout. What actually is spectacular is the camera work. CHIMPANZEE is a masterpiece of cinematography.

If it's been years since you've seen a nature film, this one will provide a good excuse to grab the kids and head to the theater.

B+

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived