THE BROWNS BOARD

Mass Killer's Mother Angers Victims'families With Fund

Mass Killer's Mother Angers Victims'Families With Fund

10:59 a.m. EDT, May 16, 2012

A memorial fund planned by the mother of Omar Thornton, who shot and killed eight people at Hartford Distributors Inc. in Manchester in August 2010 and then killed himself, has drawn sharp criticism from a Teamsters union officer speaking for the victims' families.

As described on a website set up by Lillie Holliday, Thornton's mother, the fund is intended "to help people worldwide to understand institutionalized racism."

Although Thornton had alleged to family members that he was a victim of racism at HDI, where he worked, various investigations failed to find any evidence of racism. Thornton shot his co-workers at the HDI building the same day he learned he would be fired for stealing alcohol.

His mother's decision to raise the issue of racism "is just wrong to everybody," said Christopher Roos, principal officer of the Teamsters' local that represents HDI workers. Dragging eight families "through this mud again is unacceptable."

Roos said the fund is a slap in the face of the eight victims and the families, and the survivors, who are still grieving.

"You know they just can't believe that someone actually is still saying that this is racism after everything we've been through with this," he said.

Holliday, of East Hartford, said she is still grieving, too, and does not understand the objections to the fund.

"As his mother, I should have the right to do whatever I want to do in my son's honor," she said. "I don't know why that would make them upset."

She said that despite the outcome of the investigations, she believes racism was involved. And she said that although the website is intended to raise awareness of institutional racism, she is seeking donations and would use money raised through the site to fund a further investigation of the HDI shootings.

She said she has not yet filed the necessary paperwork to begin accepting donations. Claudette Carvath, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Consumer Protection, said the office is looking into the fund. Without registering, the fund would not be allowed to raise money, Carvath said.

"What she's doing is actually hurting the families," Roos said of her continuing claim of racism, "because there can't be anything any further from the truth."

PS Two of the victims lived in our small town...............

Mass Killer's Mother Angers Victims'Families With Fund

10:59 a.m. EDT, May 16, 2012

A memorial fund planned by the mother of Omar Thornton, who shot and killed eight people at Hartford Distributors Inc. in Manchester in August 2010 and then killed himself, has drawn sharp criticism from a Teamsters union officer speaking for the victims' families.

As described on a website set up by Lillie Holliday, Thornton's mother, the fund is intended "to help people worldwide to understand institutionalized racism."

Although Thornton had alleged to family members that he was a victim of racism at HDI, where he worked, various investigations failed to find any evidence of racism. Thornton shot his co-workers at the HDI building the same day he learned he would be fired for stealing alcohol.

His mother's decision to raise the issue of racism "is just wrong to everybody," said Christopher Roos, principal officer of the Teamsters' local that represents HDI workers. Dragging eight families "through this mud again is unacceptable."

Roos said the fund is a slap in the face of the eight victims and the families, and the survivors, who are still grieving.

"You know they just can't believe that someone actually is still saying that this is racism after everything we've been through with this," he said.

Holliday, of East Hartford, said she is still grieving, too, and does not understand the objections to the fund.

"As his mother, I should have the right to do whatever I want to do in my son's honor," she said. "I don't know why that would make them upset."

She said that despite the outcome of the investigations, she believes racism was involved. And she said that although the website is intended to raise awareness of institutional racism, she is seeking donations and would use money raised through the site to fund a further investigation of the HDI shootings.

She said she has not yet filed the necessary paperwork to begin accepting donations. Claudette Carvath, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Consumer Protection, said the office is looking into the fund. Without registering, the fund would not be allowed to raise money, Carvath said.

"What she's doing is actually hurting the families," Roos said of her continuing claim of racism, "because there can't be anything any further from the truth."

PS Two of the victims lived in our small town...............

Is Obama going to show up? How about Holder?:lol:

Archived