THE BROWNS BOARD

The Dictator

The Dictator

Paramount

R 83 min

Have you ever heard the definition of insanity as doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results? Friends and neighbors, with the stench of BORAT and BRUNO remaining in my nostrils I still went to see Sacha Baron Cohen in his new box office abomination THE DICTATOR. I thought to myself well he's made a lot of money, and he's also had a respectable role in a Scorsese film so maybe this won’t suck. Well mere minutes into this turd it dawned on me how he'd made all that money: by writing and producing some of the worst movies known to mankind. Well gang the honorable mister Cohen now has another stinker to drop into the cesspool of his filmography. The good news is that this isn't another fake documentary in which we are asked to believe the world is unaware of the characters Cohen is putting on but a fish out of water parody about a dictator forced to live in the USA. Aladeen (Cohen) is the insanely brutal dictator of an awful North African country similar to our pal Qaddafi and Libya. It is obviously rent week for Ben Kingsley who plays the tyrants right hand man who is plotting against him and in league with evil international oil barons. Thier plot consists of knocking off old Al and replacing him with an apparently brain damaged double who will sign a fake treaty that allow the oil guys to take over. But sadly enough, he survives. Don't feel picked on if you are actually a member of a chronically offended minority, there is almost no group that are not insulted in this flick. It's kind of an equal opportunity offender. If it's the traditional vulgarity that brings Cohen fans out they will not be disappointed. Fans of great humor will be, as we say S.O.L. The offensive non funny humor is balanced with an equal amount of gross out non funny humor. I love offensive humor, just make it fun.

And there is also are redemption, a romantic and international intrigue sub plots that never catch fire.

Don't get me wrong, friends, I wasn't offended by any of the attacks on any of the stereotypes in this film. The way I look at it there aren't many special interest groups in the world that don't deserve some crap. It's just that this particular crap isn't very funny. Still THE DICTATOR will surely make a lot of money and there will be a handful of people that think it's great.

Oh well.

F+

WSS

Email: westsidesteve@aol.com

• 1 month later...

I liked Borat. It was an original at the time. Bruno was terrible, just terrible. But I think he can be funny at times. The spot they were showing on the commercial with him talking in Arabic about fireworks over the statue of liberty was humorous. I'll wait for netflix, though

Archived