THE BROWNS BOARD

No, Not Cribbs

This could be Josh Cribbs’ last season in Cleveland:

Time could be running out on the relationship between wide receiver Josh Cribbs and the Cleveland Browns.

That’s a theory being pushed by Jeff Schudel of the News-Herald in Northern Ohio. Cribbs is entering the final year of his contract and Schudel thinks he’d need to take a pay cut from the $1.438 million he’ll make this season in order to stick around with the team. There are two reasons driving this view.

Changes to the rules on kickoffs made Cribbs less than a weapon than he has been in past seasons. While he actually had better numbers on returns than he did in 2010, Cribbs got just 39 chances to return kickoffs. That’s the lowest total of his seven-year career and it’s not likely to change much with the rules still in effect this season.

Drafting Travis Benjamin could push Cribbs to fourth on the wide receiver depth chart, something that would limit his value to the Browns even more as they move forward. Cribbs has never developed into a consistent receiving threat for the Browns and he’ll be turning 30 before the 2013 season, which makes it unlikely that there’s a great leap forward coming on that front.

Cribbs provides the Browns with more than just kick returns. He’s a key part of their special teams coverage units and returned a punt for a touchdown last season, but the question will be whether or not the team and Cribbs put the same dollar value on his role beyond this season.

If he has at least 600 yards and 5 TDs recieving he is worth every penny, and will get a 3 year extension...he is great for the fan base, community and is a team leader. His contract is not extraordinary an in these times is quite reasonable for what he brings. The browns have a hard time getting even average free agents and cribbs is a bit beyond average...by extending his contract it also shows other free agents out there that the Browns don't want one year wonders they want players that want to play for this team and represent and respect our community.

Jeff Schudel knows nothing about the dynamics of team sports pschology and fiscal conservative owners and should probably shut his mouth

1.44 mil a year for Josh Cribbs?? seems like a bargain to me, even if he's just depth (at 5! positions. could be 6! and that's not including any D positions. I still feel he coulda been a HOF safety had he played that position at Akron and from the start of his NFL career).

fwiw what did whines hard make last year? the puke are notoriously stingy and i think he made a mountain more than that. plus cribbs has better speed, size, power, wingspan, coverage, blocking and return ability, more youth, great team/player/fan chemistry, more value, AND we all love the guy taboot!

he and Dawson were born to be career Browns.

get busy this offseason Heckert, lock these mother effers up!

That's stupid. Jeff Schudel is a waste of my time.

It's possible that a real UFO will land in his backyard, and take him to their lab, and

give him a brain. Nothing like a loser "sports jounalist" in Ohio who wants to

have a guess at what's happening, and act like it's news.

Yes, I've been working the fields, I'm hot, and Jeff just annoyed me on my lemonade break.B)

#16 Josh Cribbs out

#16 Denard Robinson in

:D

but know Cribbs is the man. Part of me really wants to keep him because of what he means to the team. Part of me thinks we should let him go, for a few reasons. His getting old and less useful, I think he should get a shot to play for a contender, money reasons if they can't agree, and there's a better chance we draft Shoelace

#16 Josh Cribbs out

#16 Denard Robinson in

:D

but know Cribbs is the man. Part of me really wants to keep him because of what he means to the team. Part of me thinks we should let him go, for a few reasons. His getting old and less useful, I think he should get a shot to play for a contender, money reasons if they can't agree, and there's a better chance we draft Shoelace

In 2 years we could be contenders. Josh is the heart and soul of this team, he is a warrior out there.

i'm quoting someone who posted this on another thread: "this isn't the national fairness league". you can't pick and choose who you want to keep because of some fan loyalty.

quite frankly he better take anything that is given to him because he hasn't done anything in years, so i don't think there are teams knocking on his door for his services.

My opinion not that anyone gives a damn is that the writer is putting WAY too much stock in Benjamin. I also believe that for how he's used Cribbs is in fact overpaid and as the article mentions with the new rule he's not as electric on returns. He's elusive but he's not holy sh.it fast and if he were to really catch on as a WR he would have already. Cribbs isn't worth that money and will need to take a pay cut but it's not going to be because of Benjamin.

Oh and Mike Wallace until we either extend him or he signs his tender is only scheduled to make 2.7M for a contract comparison. (If he signs the tender that is)

The topic of Josua Cribbs is an emotional lighting rod among fans, and I have pissed off my fair share of fans with calling for him to be cut.

Miktoxic, like it or not, is dead on, and so is the author of the article in question.

Believe me, I get it. The guy gave us a lot of excitement and he plays his bung-hole off. Those who would cite that he was our top scoring WR also need to realize his totals didn't exactly send other teams clamoring for him. Add to that, no defenses double team Cribbs or account for him. SO yeah, he caught a few passes for TD, none that I recall that were realy highlight filrm/talking heads stuff.

His legs are tired and he has lost a step. As a return man he was a yawner the last two years.

$1.5 million is not a huge cap hit, but when you consider one could find a journeyman or late round draft pick to fill in the gap he would leave, even Cribbs loves have to admit this much; come contract signing time for the 2013 season, Cribbs' contract is not going to be a high priority for the Browns.

Whether Cribbs stays or not, he isn't exactly a rain maker, and save the sentimental wailers, few will miss him or even remember im in a few years. He is Fair Hooker, without the fearlessness on crossing routes.

Well, based on a little research- don't be surprised if Cribbs walks after this year. He's making 1\2 of what Devin Hester makes- and it's debatable as to who's the better KR. Hester might be a slightly better WR, but so what. Either Hester is seriously overpaid, or Josh is way underpaid. You decide.

Here's the new pay scale if you're interested.

NFL New minimum Wage Scale

Cribbs would get paid $810k, regardless. Best not to get overly sentimental about a particular player- Bill Belichick doesn't.

Well, based on a little research- don't be surprised if Cribbs walks after this year. He's making 1\2 of what Devin Hester makes- and it's debatable as to who's the better KR. Hester might be a slightly better WR, but so what. Either Hester is seriously overpaid, or Josh is way underpaid. You decide.

Cribbs would get paid $810k, regardless. Best not to get overly sentimental about a particular player- Bill Belichick doesn't.

Cribbs is not Devin Hester. Hester may be the best returner of all time and already holds a few records and believe me I'm a Cribbs fan. I went to Kent State, watched him at Kent State. Hell I had a few classes with him at Kent State. There is no debate when comparing the two. It's Hester and then the others.

My opinion not that anyone gives a damn is that the writer is putting WAY too much stock in Benjamin. I also believe that for how he's used Cribbs is in fact overpaid and as the article mentions with the new rule he's not as electric on returns. He's elusive but he's not holy sh.it fast and if he were to really catch on as a WR he would have already. Cribbs isn't worth that money and will need to take a pay cut but it's not going to be because of Benjamin.

Oh and Mike Wallace until we either extend him or he signs his tender is only scheduled to make 2.7M for a contract comparison. (If he signs the tender that is)

Mike Wallace is also around 6-7 years younger so factor in the minimum wage as well. Wallace would be making around 450,000ish while Cribbs almost twice that.

The topic of Josua Cribbs is an emotional lighting rod among fans, and I have pissed off my fair share of fans with calling for him to be cut.

Miktoxic, like it or not, is dead on, and so is the author of the article in question.

Believe me, I get it. The guy gave us a lot of excitement and he plays his bung-hole off. Those who would cite that he was our top scoring WR also need to realize his totals didn't exactly send other teams clamoring for him. Add to that, no defenses double team Cribbs or account for him. SO yeah, he caught a few passes for TD, none that I recall that were realy highlight filrm/talking heads stuff.

His legs are tired and he has lost a step. As a return man he was a yawner the last two years.

$1.5 million is not a huge cap hit, but when you consider one could find a journeyman or late round draft pick to fill in the gap he would leave, even Cribbs loves have to admit this much; come contract signing time for the 2013 season, Cribbs' contract is not going to be a high priority for the Browns.

Whether Cribbs stays or not, he isn't exactly a rain maker, and save the sentimental wailers, few will miss him or even remember im in a few years. He is Fair Hooker, without the fearlessness on crossing routes.

I'd say he had some good TD catches for the Browns. They were no where near wide open passes in the chest for a walk in TD. He also showed on his punt return TD to still have IT while also posting some of his best return yardage numbers for his career. Like mentioned in the article though there are far fewer kick returns which are his bread and butter. I think his contract will be a high enough priority, but he won't be getting as good of an offer as he got last time around and the only way he keeps making 1.5 million a year is if he stays in on all special teams while also still contributing on offense.

Hester is in now real way a better WR. In fact they are pulling him from his regular WR duties this season and making Hester Packages where he will be on the field. I think resigning Cribbs for 1.5 million is good. Give it to him mostly in bonus' and keep more cap room for other players.

I agree with the article. I see this as his last year as well. I'd try to trade him and salvage what I could.

Cribbs and a 4th rounder might be enough to get a fairly good DT.

Cribbs is not Devin Hester. Hester may be the best returner of all time and already holds a few records

Like ... most kickoff returns for touchdowns in the history of the NFL ... does Hester hold that one?

Zombo

This could be Josh Cribbs’ last season in Cleveland:

Time could be running out on the relationship between wide receiver Josh Cribbs and the Cleveland Browns.

That’s a theory being pushed by Jeff Schudel of the News-Herald in Northern Ohio. Cribbs is entering the final year of his contract and Schudel thinks he’d need to take a pay cut from the $1.438 million he’ll make this season in order to stick around with the team. There are two reasons driving this view.

Changes to the rules on kickoffs made Cribbs less than a weapon than he has been in past seasons. While he actually had better numbers on returns than he did in 2010, Cribbs got just 39 chances to return kickoffs. That’s the lowest total of his seven-year career and it’s not likely to change much with the rules still in effect this season.

Drafting Travis Benjamin could push Cribbs to fourth on the wide receiver depth chart, something that would limit his value to the Browns even more as they move forward. Cribbs has never developed into a consistent receiving threat for the Browns and he’ll be turning 30 before the 2013 season, which makes it unlikely that there’s a great leap forward coming on that front.

Cribbs provides the Browns with more than just kick returns. He’s a key part of their special teams coverage units and returned a punt for a touchdown last season, but the question will be whether or not the team and Cribbs put the same dollar value on his role beyond this season.

I don't see Cribbs going anywhere and he will always be a Brown. I know the almight $ can change that but what he brings tothe table in tangables makes him worthy of keeping. When ever he is on the field every team zeros in on him to know where he is. He can break it at any touch, spread defences. He's the best Brownie since we came back and Im proud to wear his number and being All-Pro is just icing on his resume.

Cribbs is not Devin Hester. Hester may be the best returner of all time and already holds a few records and believe me I'm a Cribbs fan. I went to Kent State, watched him at Kent State. Hell I had a few classes with him at Kent State. There is no debate when comparing the two. It's Hester and then the others.

The record holder for most Kickoff returns in a career is held by Mr. Joshua Cribbs. Not by Devin Hester. Hester has a few more punt returns for TDs. Cribbs had one PR for TD last year.

Needless to say, the new kickoff rules dampered both players return stats.

I acutally think Cribbs had his best year as a WR whether the numbers back that up or not I don't know.

I'll echo what was said- 1) low cap number and 2) playing for his next contract this year.

Cribbs at this point is not going to fetch you much in a trade. Brandon Marshall didn't get Denver much and he's a #1 WR.

We need a veteran presence as well. When folks on here were crying for trade downs and more draft picks- I personally didn't want to kick off the new season with 15-17 first year rookies many of which would make the team.

Am I missing something did we sign Vincent Jackson and draft Blackmon? We need Cribbs.

Comparative career stats:

Hester Age 29 D.O.B 11/4/1982 entering 7th year in NFL

Punt Returns: 206 returns for 2654 yds. and 12 TDs

KO Returns: 146 returns for 3447 yds and 5 TDs

Receiving: 194 rec. for 2565 yards, a 13.2 ypc with 13 TDs

Rushing: 27 carries for 74 yards

Cribbs: Age 28 D.O.B 6/9/1983 entering 8th year in NFL

Punt returns: 157 for 1697 yds and 3 TDs

KO Returns: 344 returns for 8837 yds and 8 TDs

Receiving: 100 rec. for 1098 yds, an 11.0 ypc with 7 TDs (4 came in 2011)

Rushing: 122 carries for 711 yards and 2 TDs

Something a bit odd here: Hester is a year older, but has been in the league 1 year less than Cribbs.

It seems that for some time anyway, Cribbs may not have been used as the Browns primary punt returner.

I can only surmise that the Browns porous defense over the years has caused the vast disparity among the number of KO returns that Cribbs has compared to Hester...unless Hester has not been used as a primary KO returner.

Hester has been use more as a WR, where Cribbs has been use far more as a RB.

But, in terms of their age: why is it that people see Cribbs as being past his prime where Hester is not? Hester is older. Is it the one year difference in playing?

The guy isn't getting paid that much in terms of NFL players. He's still great on special teams from returns to tackling. Let's see what he does with Weeden tossing the ball.

If anything else, try him out at Safety and see what happens there.

I think it's because Hester has six touchdowns for returns over the past two season versus Cribbs one.

Hester has always been a speedy elusive guy while Cribbs was more of a power straight line runner.

Hester is a smaller guy and his speed will last longer while Cribbs is 200+ pounds and seems to have added weight over the years and was never a burner to begin with.

Hester can afford to lose a step and still be effective while Cribbs cannot.

The guy isn't getting paid that much in terms of NFL players. He's still great on special teams from returns to tackling. Let's see what he does with Weeden tossing the ball.

If anything else, try him out at Safety and see what happens there.

I think the Browns have done a horrible job of utilizing him over the years.

I think he could of possibly been a great safety but it's too late now to transition him.

He could of been great as a mini h-back motioning him out of the back field on swing passes.

They were never consistent at getting him the ball in space, but Cribbs as your #1 threat is still sad.

With legitimate offensive weapons around him he'd shine, he's always been a gimmicky guy on a bad team.

I think it's because Hester has six touchdowns for returns over the past two season versus Cribbs one.

Hester has always been a speedy elusive guy while Cribbs was more of a power straight line runner.

Hester is a smaller guy and his speed will last longer while Cribbs is 200+ pounds and seems to have added weight over the years and was never a burner to begin with.

Hester can afford to lose a step and still be effective while Cribbs cannot.

Actually, I believe just the opposite. When the small, elusive guy loses a step he often loses that elusiveness that allowed him to avoid tacklers. Then he is just another smurf getting pounded to the turf. (I'm a poet and I know it).

The "meatier" guy like Cribbs may in fact be better able to lose a step...as long as it is not too steps. When Cribbs was working around a hamstring pull he lost too many steps to be effective. If Hester had a similar hammy pull, he too might even be less effective.

for 1.4 million, we can have Cribbs as our 3rd string QB and get rid of Seneca wallace (sarcasm)

let you be sarcastic all you want but i'd do that in a heart beat. i know every football purist will say he is no way near an nfl caliber QB etc. etc. BUT like a poster above has said the browns totally blew it in the way they've utilized his talents on the team.

imean he WAS a starting QB at kent state. has he even thrown a pass in his career with the browns? totally under used with no a total lack of offensive scheming for a guy back in his heyday could've done so much more.

oh yeah. hey seneca: GO FUCK YOURSELF!

fwiw it was the four dislocated toes Cribbs tried to play through that derailed his 2010 stats.

he scored that 2011 punt return TD with the pulled hammy...so it can be argued even injured he's more effective than a lot of guys.

it would be stupid to let him go. he means so much to the organization. and he is a fan favorite. In my opinion he has to go down as one of the greatest Browns "players" in the history of the team.

that's a bit of a stretch. don't get me wrong, i love the guy, but i would put eric metcalf above him.

Archived