THE BROWNS BOARD

Yeah, Let's Just Get On With This

Zombo

Don't play semantics, just get Brandon Weeden ready for the season opener

May 22, 2012 -- 6:00am

By Tony Grossi

The Morning Kickoff …

The language of football: When football coaches say players at the same position group are “competing,” they mean they are pushing each other in practice to make each other better.

When they say there’s a “competition” at quarterback, it means they expect all on hand to “compete” to make each other better.

An “open competition” at quarterback is something else. It means each quarterback’s snaps are divided equally, their completions and incompletions and drives are charted and graded, and one wins the prize of the starting job.

The Browns have erred by labeling what’s going on with rookie Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace an “open competition.” That’s a complete sham.

The starting job is not up for grabs. It is merely being reserved for Weeden.

That’s why they drafted him in the first round. That’s why President Mike Holmgren jumped in, pulled rank and picked Weeden with the No. 22 pick. Some in the draft room felt Weeden would be available at No. 37. Holmgren didn’t want to risk waiting because in his mind he had anointed Weeden the quarterback that will lead the team out of its doldrums. And once you do that, there’s no need to quibble over draft position.

The Browns, however, don’t want to hand the job to Weeden, as Indianapolis did with Andrew Luck and Washington did with Robert Griffin III, even though that would be more genuine. So they have to continue this exercise in semantics and claim Weeden, McCoy and Wallace are “competing” for the starting job.

Even Wallace has stated that the Browns drafted Weeden to be “their guy.” McCoy can’t bring himself to state the obvious. In fact, he can’t even bring himself to appear in front of the media to state anything. Maybe it will happen today when media are invited to attend the first of 10 OTA voluntary practices.

“I think when we say open competition, the best guy is gonna play,” Browns GM Tom Heckert said Monday night to reporters at the Akron Browns Backers Banquet at Tangier Restaurant.

In a transcript provided by Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal, Heckert went on to say, “That’s the way it is, but we drafted Brandon Weeden to be that guy. You draft a guy 22nd in the draft, you think he’s gonna be that guy. You can write it and talk about it however you want. The best guy’s gonna play, but we fully expect Brandon Weeden to be that guy.”

I think what’s holding back the Browns from declaring Weeden the starter is this: They want the veterans to learn what the rookies already learned in rookie camp two weeks ago. That Weeden’s arm, release, physical stature and accuracy give them the best chance at winning.

Soon they all will be in agreement that is the case. And that’s when the real business can begin – preparing Weeden and the offense for the season opener. Because that’s Priority One for Pat Shurmur and his coaching staff. Anything that detracts from that is counter-productive.

http://www.espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=1140

They better sort this shit out by camp. I can't take another bullshit open competition leading into the season.

I thought Holmgren spoke out against QB competitions when he came here because of the Anderson/Quinn debacle?

I am of the opinion that Weeden should not just be handed the job.

If he isn't good enough to take it after being drafted in the first round, then perhaps he isn't all that and a bag of chips like we thought he was.

Besides, even if he is 28 years old, he is still a rookie, and rookies need time to develop. Most of them need some early bench time. A few don't. Weeden might. That doesn't mean he should be coronated before throwing a single pass.

It will be worked out by the time camp starts, a just a few days in to camp.

I agree with Grossi. There is no open competition. It's done, over. Hand Weeden the keys to the car and let him drive it for a few years.

If it were me, I'd be there as a coach or GM, and know that Weeden, sooner or later, will be the guy.

But forcing him into the lineup is unnecessary, and I wouldn't just hand Weeden the job just to

appease the big dummies that only see the qb at fault for an offense that doesn't work.

As in, they drafted a RT and signed another, and drafted an OG and signed others for dang good reasons.

Weeden > Colt because of his arm, and his arm will make a big difference.

But not without a little time for Weeden to really learn the offense, and the RT to get in there.

If that's now or mid-preseason, we're all good. But I want to see Colt play in preseason

with a fixed oline with a genuine, effective RT, and Richardson in the lineup, and a burner wideout to

worry defenses.

Weeden is better, big deal, Grossi. Why not add in an explanation about how football players wear helmets to avoid head injuries.

A half-sober Rich would be a better sports guy than Grossi.

also from rapid reports...

Weeden shows why he was picked No. 1

Cleveland Browns team logo

May 22, 2012 11:21 a.m. - by Marty Gitlin

Watching the wobbly passes from QB Colt McCoy followed by the crisp, tight spirals from rookie Brandon Weeden makes it immediately apparent why the Browns drafted the latter in the first round and are planning on starting him.

It will be worked out by the time camp starts, a just a few days in to camp.

I agree with Grossi. There is no open competition. It's done, over. Hand Weeden the keys to the car and let him drive it for a few years.

And what if his feet can't reach the pedals?

I still think some caution is required.

Brandon got picked off as well today, we have no idea if it was wrong route by the WR anyway. Just like livingston was saying if they run the same route(which they were doing a lot during the day) then it would be a lot easier for the QB going 2nd or 3rd to see what's going on and needs to be corrected(ditto with the WR on the route)...will say i'm really amazed how much quicker colts release is...was very surprised at the strength he has gained. Hey, if we get Rivers and Colt/s pinch nerve really heals and he gets his zip bck like in his sophmore year at UT that's how that chips fall. I do expect Brandon to probably play a majority of the games this year...but would love to see us screw some teams up lie Philly, Ravens, Steelers and Bengals and play Colt or Brandon in the first game between them and throw the other guy in there...since their styles are completely different their defenses would have to prepare for two QBs at all times.

This is not going to be NY where this QB competition will divide the team...in fact I think it will actually create a real unity between everyone.

No more qb snivelling, please. Enough of "lets give him a season or two for a true evaluation".

Re BW, balls to the wall beginning season opener. If he washes out, well that just reaffirms that fact that

not all qb's can successfully make the professional passage from college to NFL. I've got a feeling, though, that he can

help win some games for the Browns as they claw their way back to the top of the AFCN!

I don't know... I've seen the selection of Weeden a little bit different since the draft. At first it seems that yes, being selected in the first round should mean we see him as the starter... but what if we simply selected him because we couldn't go into the season with just Colt and Seneca again. We needed to upgrade the QB position and bring in another guy. We simply took the best available guy that we could at 22. Any of the other QB wouldn't have been any better or that much of a change from what we already had. We brought in another guy whom the FO likes to come in and compete with Colt just in case we need a backup plan and Colt can't hack it with a Franchise RB and an improved line... That's how I feel anyway.

i thought all you quiffs hated grossi?

you all have got as much allegiance to anything like a rat snake.

yeah post his copy when he blows your boy but if it's anything negative about wee willy weeden the guy is crap.

november: 1 and 5. at least that's what grossi is saying.

like him or not, he's right. everyone know this "competition" is a sham.....articles all over the tubes laughing and mocking this facade.

HHS lying thru their teeth in public while acting otherwise will serve no good purpose and simply divide the team, starting with the most important player on the team...the QB. holmy may be a football guy, but he sure a shit has no fucking clue as how to properly deal with people. its actually sad how stupid the fatass is sometimes.

Derek Anderson whooped Brady Quinn in the QB competition and won the starting job, but he was the unpopular choice with the media and fans. The Browns won't make that mistake again. The job belongs to Weeden.

So your saying they should have started Quinn even though he lost just because that is what the fans and the media wanted to see? Stupid. The best guy should play period. That is what the players want. They don't want someone pushed in there who is not the best because they know it will effect their play. The best guy period. And even when McCoy doesn't get the starting job because we all know he isn't going to win the competition he can stay as the back up because his skill set makes him a good one.

Derek Anderson whooped Brady Quinn in the QB competition and won the starting job, but he was the unpopular choice with the media and fans. The Browns won't make that mistake again. The job belongs to Weeden.

I agree, and why I think Colt won't be on the team come late summer....at the latest.

We don't need him around in any way, shape, or form. He needs to be a past tense conversation in a present tense kind of way..

Derek Sasquatch Anderson AND Quinn - were not popular with the fans.

Weeden and Colt are class guys - they fit the locker room.

I think it's pouty face Seneca who will be gone.

So your saying they should have started Quinn even though he lost just because that is what the fans and the media wanted to see? Stupid. The best guy should play period. That is what the players want. They don't want someone pushed in there who is not the best because they know it will effect their play. The best guy period. And even when McCoy doesn't get the starting job because we all know he isn't going to win the competition he can stay as the back up because his skill set makes him a good one.

Dude, take a chill pill. i agree that the best guy should play. Anderson was that guy and i agreed with it then. i was in the minority.

Do you think Colt will start this season if he outplays Weeden? If you do, then who is being Stupid? Weeden will start regardless of who plays better. Period.

I agree, and why I think Colt won't be on the team come late summer....at the latest.

We don't need him around in any way, shape, or form. He needs to be a past tense conversation in a present tense kind of way..

I have to disagree. He's a better long term backup than Wallace, knows the system, cheaper than Seneca- have a better plan B if Weeden gets hurt?

So he's gone after this year. big whoop. We're talking THIS year.

Archived