THE BROWNS BOARD

Crennel to stay....

Solon16

I was about to say that Lerner should get some of the props as well.

This really shows just how much Lerner doesn't like Phil Savage...this is totally punking Phil and letting Phil know he holds him 95% responsible for the debacle.

I think if this pans out than it says even more about Phil Savage.

The players seem to love RAC but couldn't win for him?

It just doesn't make sense. RAC will get paid no matter what unless he agrees to a new role, his salary will be modified i hope.

I always hope they know more than i do but like another poster stated, its never been done before.

Us hammers think alike. :D

Phil did everything wrong.

He went on a power play and saw to it Collins was run out of town...and Collins was a friend of Lerner....I know Lerner kept that in his mind, and savage went on this kick to be the face of the team.

Then Savage extended Romeo when Lerner probably didn't want to do that.....then through that extension, it helped him get his...the talk being how can the GM have less time than the coach?

That tied Savage to Romeo...then when things started going wrong, the "face" was no longer seen, saying things like if I did that, I might as well go coach the team. If he is saying things like that to the press, you know he was throwing Romeo under the bus in private conversations with Lerner, trying to weasel as far away from Romeo as he could.

Nope...Lerner enjoyed canning Savage about 2 minutes after the season was over, and enjoys keeping Romeo to continue to stick it to Phil....and reward Romeo who though not a head coach, stood strong the last 4-5 weeks, faced the press, stood up to the fan pressure and just did the best he could in the face of some pretty tough conditions.....it's hard to work when you know your boss(Savage) is selling you out at every turn.

Yep...Savage was a weasel, who worked himself into a corner only to have Lerner chop his head off.

As a Steelers fan, I can see the temptation to poke fun at bringing RAC (probably as Defensive Coordinator), but I personally think its probably a good move on Mangini's part (if it's true). RAC did a fine job with NE's defense. The responsibilities of head coaching are sometimes too much for people. Look at Dick LeBeau, he's assembled some of the best defenses of all time for Pittsburgh, but as a head coach in Cincy he stunk the joint out. I'm sure if I sat down and thought about it I could point out half a dozen or so coaches that are similar.

As a Steelers fan, I can see the temptation to poke fun at bringing RAC (probably as Defensive Coordinator), but I personally think its probably a good move on Mangini's part (if it's true). RAC did a fine job with NE's defense. The responsibilities of head coaching are sometimes too much for people. Look at Dick LeBeau, he's assembled some of the best defenses of all time for Pittsburgh, but as a head coach in Cincy he stunk the joint out. I'm sure if I sat down and thought about it I could point out half a dozen or so coaches that are similar.

You are 100% right about LeBeau and if Crennel stays it won't be as a position coach, it will be as a "Special Assistant" to the HC.

Bud Carson, Another Steeler Def. genius didn't cut it as a HC either

Marvin Lewis

RAC

on the offense side

Martz

Chris Palmer

It will be a big hit to the browns PR and not a confidence builder for mangini if they bring crennel back..

Steeler fags just want to see us get that mindless lazy lard bucket back as a line coach or even better the new DC so it assures we dont kick their ass and mangini starts his game in cleveland with hefty mistrust of the fans and likely media since they are whacking him every chance they get..

Most browns fans dont know who scherer is or how detrimental he has been to the browns program but if mangini keeps him the media will certainly let everyone know the sorry dog he chose has did nothing but unimprove both da and bq...he is a disgrace to this organization and a true steeler at heart..to bad the steelers dont want him back because he sucks..

None the less.....there have been many coaches who failed as head coaches.

Most coaches are selected after being NFL assistants....and most fail.

Failure rate in the NFL is pretty high. It might be luck, or lack of, as much as anything for many of them.

Take the draft.....that is probably 70% luck. By all accounts Tim Couch was going to be a great QB, and if he had, Chris Palmer might still be our head coach.

wade phillips and norv turner are both great coordinators and terrible head coaches.

I know - why do fans always fail to see this? Josh McDaniels could turn out to lack those intangible qualities as well. Even if he has them its damn hard to assert them at age 32 (though John Madden and Don Shula didn't have a problem)

RAC is a VERY good coordinator. If he stays - and it seems that someone thought Lombardi's speculation was an actual report - it can only be good news for the Browns.

Archived