THE BROWNS BOARD

Reasons to believe Mangini will find immediate success

OconRecon

Betting on a slow news day...

Reasons to believe Mangini will find immediate success

A year from now, he'll probably be a ManGenius here because it won't take much for the Browns to get better and that's all that anyone is expecting. For all of ex-GM Phil Savage's shortcomings, he leaves in place a better front office for the figurehead Lerner will soon tab general manager than the mess that awaited him four offseasons ago. Salary-cap guru Trip MacCracken is well-respected in league circles, as is lead scout T.J. McCreight, who might wind up with the GM title (or label) if Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinas doesn't get the job after Sunday's interview. They're staying put regardless, so whoever takes over for Savage will hit the ground running.

The Browns also boast a a friendly cap number for next year (no matter what Sports Illustrated's Peter King might say) and, get this, a couple high first-day draft picks that could land a front-seven, impact defensive player that could team with Shaun Rogers and D'Qwell Jackson to vault the Browns unit into one of the league's best units.

Here are a few other reasons to believe Mangini will find immediate success here:

• 3-4 prowess. Mangini has coaching experience in both systems and, with new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, won't have any trouble adapting to the Browns personnel. The key part of that package is already here in elite nose tackle Rogers and defense end Corey Williams, who was hurt this season but gamely showed up week after week. We'll see just how good he can be next year and, if the Browns can add another end, how much better an already much-improve defense can be. A historically inept offense this year masked the improvement on the other side of the ball that will continue as a young secondary matures. With two guys who work well together, not a head coach and a coordinator who thinks he should be in charge, it could become one of the league's best units.
  • Jerome Harrison is a lot like Leon Washington. And Mangini made sure his offensive coordinator used his multipurpose scatback this year, unlike Crennel, who let Harrison waste away on the sidelines all year while Jamal Lewis was averaging a half-yard short of four a carry and Jason Wright was backing up him. But hey, those two can really pick up the blitz, and you can bet they'll be blitzing because nobody is afraid of those two carrying the ball.
  • Mangini was right on the biggest Jets acquisitions an offseason ago: No on Brett Favre, yes on Kris Jenkins. With a young, franchise quarterback in place and the components of the 3-4, he didn't have to be asked twice if he wanted the Cleveland job. He'll have the biggest say on personnel here and has shown pretty good instincts already. Maybe, like the older, non-Cleveland Belichick, he knows what he's doing. If hiring any coach, and especially Mangini, before a GM was a mistake, we won't know it until years from now. And you can bet Randy Lerner and his ManGenius know that.

I just hope the new GM helps him out.

I know I'm not breaking any new ground here, but I was thinking about having to establish a real identity this time around. Last time we brought in Romeo, a defensive mind, and from 2004-08 used 4 of our 5 first round picks on offensive players. Brought in big free agents like Eric Steinbach, Jamal Lewis and Donte Stallworth. Defense got stuck with guys like Brian Russell and Ted Washington. Until the Rogers trade, Romeo didn't have a single real cornerstone on defense.

Now we brought in another defensive minded coach, hopefully we play to his strengths. Mangini is coming to a much better team than Romeo did, if he and the GM are on the same page it should be a pretty smooth transition.

If mangini hires crennel as a line coach and scherer as a qb butcher he kicked his own ass unless he grows 2 extra sets of eyes and his finger on the your fired button to make sure these bums do their jobs because they dont have the motivation to do anything on their own..

As a new HC in cleveland i wouldnt want the old coach around and just watch our qbs on film and draw the proper conclusion on rip scherer...3 years zero improvement..

Sure they'll look better. They'll play a weak schedule. They'll go 9-7 or 10-6 and everyone will be calling Mangini "Mangenius" again".

Wow!! You think they will be that good? Yeah, i'll take it also. Just don't offer a contract extension as soon as it happens to the coach.

The talent level on this team is not as great as every one is hoping, unless this draft and FA period produces a minimum 50% starters were in for a long year.

Guest Masters
Wow!! You think they will be that good? Yeah, i'll take it also. Just don't offer a contract extension as soon as it happens to the coach.

The talent level on this team is not as great as every one is hoping, unless this draft and FA period produces a minimum 50% starters were in for a long year.

CLE doesn't need 50% more starters. This is still a team that won 10 games a year ago and probably should have won 12. That doesn't happen by accident in the NFL, no matter the schedule.

Guest Masters
I'm inclined to agree with you Mik. Yeah strength of schedule does have an effect, but its not as big as some might think.

I think overall we have a solid core of players that need to get just a little bit better. What they lack is not physical skill, but mental fortitutde, that will come with experience, and as much as this season sucked sometimes losing can be a great teacher, you really find out who's bringing something in their lunch bucket every day.

Also i am a firm believer Romeo single handedly cost us at least 6 games this year with clock and personel mismanagement. With him gone, that too should change.

Yeah I'm optimistic, but seriously what's the effin' point of following a team if you don't believe that they can rise up and win.

I mean, if you've accepted as a foregone conclusion that they are going to lose no matter what, then what's the use? I would go find another hobby, like Madden, at least in Madden your in direct control of your teams success.

Speaking of Madden, that reminds me to make a thread...

You hit it on the head with the mental fortitude part. Which I hope Mangini can bring improvement to.

RAC certainly cost CLE opportunities with his clock management, as well as his over all game plan/preperation most weeks. I think CLE did over acheive when they won 10 games, but more so in that the players over came some of RACs ineptitudes. Watching CLE this year was not like watching the last year of Butch or the first year under RAC, when you were hard pressed to find a decent player on the roster. This is a team that now has pro bowl players on it after all.

CLE doesn't need 50% more starters. This is still a team that won 10 games a year ago and probably should have won 12. That doesn't happen by accident in the NFL, no matter the schedule.

50% is a stretch i know

beleive me i want them to be awesome and soon.

Its just that even with a 3rd and 4th string QB you have got to show up for football games and for the players sake lets say they were trying there hardest.

What part of that last 6 games sticks with you?(other than we get the 5th pick in the draft)

I'll take it.

According to the NFL scheduling formula the Browns will play 6 games within their division, 4 games against an entire division, and the remaining 6 games will be against teams that finished last and next to last in their respective divisions.

Two or three wins in the division

Two wins against another divison

four to five wins against last and next to last place teams in other divisions.

8-8 or 9-7 is a likely finish.

Guest Ghoolie

WTF is it about you people that you try to turn shit into shinola?

The Browns talent is nil. The guys who touch the ball are arguably as bad as Detroit's bums. This entire team nees to be released, save MAYBE 3 players.

The Browns will struggle to win 4 games in 2009.

That was due more to the 3rd and 4th string QB playing than our core offensive talent sucking. And Romeo's stubborness to play the younger guys who could truly offer a spark.

It was bad no doubt, but I think the offense bounces back in 09.

The streak started with both Brady and DA being totally in-effective. I think that that was more the receivers fault because when Brady went down Brainlock came right out and said "Good, now we have our quarterback back." DA is an over-rated bum, I didn't like him two years and you all saw why last year. Ken Dorsey dose not deserve a spot on any NFL team, period. I won't fault Gradkowski because he didn't really have a chance to learn the offense. Jamal is out of gas, we need to draft a back, I'm not saying Beanie Wells is the answer here there are other backs that I would pick first, but I do think that we need to get a back that is not washed up, and with out offensive line in tact, we should draft one. I don't think that the offense is back in '09 but, it should be explosive in '10 provided someone can install a work ethic Stallworth and Brainlock.

Some of you are hilarious. Listen... we sent how many players to the Pro Bowl last season? Yet we need to scrub our entire roster? HA! We have a YOUNG team... and I blv we are one pick/trade/elite FA away from ripping up 09'. My first look would be to...

USE HARRISON!!!

USE CRIBBS!!!!

USE STALLWORTH!!!

Some of you are hilarious. Listen... we sent how many players to the Pro Bowl last season? Yet we need to scrub our entire roster? HA! We have a YOUNG team... and I blv we are one pick/trade/elite FA away from ripping up 09'. My first look would be to...

USE HARRISON!!!

USE CRIBBS!!!!

USE STALLWORTH!!!

Its hard to use guys sitting injured on the bench.

Also hard to use guys when your defense is on the field 40 minutes a game.

Still... Harrison sits what... 3rd on the deph chart... with little to no touches. I was happy to see the use of the "Flash package" and I hope Mangini has plans to get Cribbs more and more involved. Why isnt Cribbs a Captain??? He is by far one of the most dedicated/commited players on the squad. He's a true "Football player" and btw is being played close to NOTHING.

Guest Masters
50% is a stretch i know

beleive me i want them to be awesome and soon.

Its just that even with a 3rd and 4th string QB you have got to show up for football games and for the players sake lets say they were trying there hardest.

What part of that last 6 games sticks with you?(other than we get the 5th pick in the draft)

For you're last two lines, the same answer applies from what I saw. The team flat out quit on RAC and each other.

Guest Masters
WTF is it about you people that you try to turn shit into shinola?

The Browns talent is nil. The guys who touch the ball are arguably as bad as Detroit's bums. This entire team nees to be released, save MAYBE 3 players.

The Browns will struggle to win 4 games in 2009.

Ah, what you said before hte 2007 season and opposite of what you said before the start of this past season. Good old Ghoolie

Archived