THE BROWNS BOARD

Mays returning to USC

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Mays, Pinkard and Gable to stay at USC for 2009 season

By Scott Wolf, Staff Writer

USC coach Pete Carroll said Monday that All-American safety Taylor Mays, cornerback Josh Pinkard and tailback C.J. Gable would return next season.

All three were eligible for the NFL draft and considered turning pro following the Rose Bowl.

Mays, who is considered a top-20 pick, said after the Rose Bowl he was leaning toward going pro and was considered the most likely USC underclassman to depart.

"They are all returning," Carroll said.

In a sign that he would return, Mays just moved into an apartment with USC teammate Will Harris last weekend. Sources said he enjoyed college life and wanted to spend another year at USC before experiencing the demands of the NFL.

Mays, a three-time All-American, could not be reached for comment.

"At the beginning of the season, I wanted to leave," Mays said after USC defeated Penn State in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1. "Halfway through, it was 50-50. Now, if I do leave, it feels like a perfect way to go if I leave. That would be the way to do it."

That changed in the past 10 days, sources said, when Mays realized the benefits of staying in school.

"He doesn't have the pressure here that he would in the NFL and he likes being with his friends," a source said.

As a Trojan fan, I'm thrilled. But I don't know what else Mays could do and he's a slam dunk Top 12-ish pick.

Im pretty sure he wants to win a national championship. Thats the only reason he's be staying.

That or it has something to do with endless blond sluts to wake up to every day...

Guest Aloysius
As a Trojan fan, I'm thrilled. But I don't know what else Mays could do and he's a slam dunk Top 12-ish pick.

Yeah, as a strict draft/$ move, it's questionable at best. Though he still should be a 1st Round pick next year, he won't be the top safety prospect; Tennessee's Eric Berry will be the one getting compared to Ed Reed.

But his mom (who's an academic) was pushing hard for him to stay in school, and another year of USC coaching before heading to the pro's can't hurt.

Im pretty sure he wants to win a national championship. Thats the only reason he's be staying.

That or it has something to do with endless blond sluts to wake up to every day...

lol. Not sure if you were referring to these pics (borderline NSFW)...it does seem like he's having a lot of fun in his free time.

as browns fans, though, this is likely good for us. if we can get curry at five, it means there's a chance we can also get an exceptional safety in the 2010 draft, especially with eric barry in the mix. we'll likely need someone to replace pool at that point. i just don't see him making the cut year after year, whether it be because of injuries or a simple lack of production.

Mays Statement

By Scott Wolf on January 13, 2009 11:25 AM

From WeareSC.com

-2-TIME ALL-AMERICAN SAFETY TAYLOR MAYS WILL RETURN TO USC IN 2009

LOS ANGELES-USC 2-time All-American first team safety Taylor Mays, a 2008 Thorpe Award finalist, announced today (Jan. 13) that he will return for his 2009 senior season as a Trojan.

"There are a lot more things I want to accomplish as a player, a student and a person, things that I've dreamed about for a long time and that are big goals to me," said Mays. "Returning to USC will help me be the best player I can be and put me in the best position possible for the next level.

"It came down to whether I felt I was ready physically and mentally. I feel there are some more things in my game that I can improve upon, things that would help me take the next step. I didn't want to sell myself short.

"Plus, I want to be here for my teammates and provide an example to them as a leader and a player. I love the camaraderie here and the atmosphere. USC is a special place. From all the players I've talked to in the NFL, they say it's a whole different world up there. They enjoyed college more than the NFL. I want to enjoy my last year of fun before it turns into a business.

"I'm also on track to graduate this fall and I know that's a big deal to my parents.

"I'm excited to start working hard toward next season. In fact, I wish I could start playing the 2009 season right now."

Said USC head coach Pete Carroll: "We're obviously delighted to learn of Taylor's decision. He and his family did a lot of research and made an educated decision. He embodies all the virtues of staying. He wants to do this not only to improve as a player, but he's coming back for his team, for his school and for the fans. We're looking forward to Taylor having another outstanding season in 2009 and furthering his standing as a player and a person. He's one of the most gifted safeties to ever play at USC and he wants to come back and do it one more time."

Mays has started the past 3 seasons (2006-08) at free safety for the Trojans, recording 180 tackles and 4 interceptions in his career. He was a consensus All-American first teamer as a junior in 2008 and among 3 finalists for the Thorpe Award as he made 53 tackles and a team-best 9 deflections while helping the Trojans to a 12-1 record, a seventh consecutive Pac-10 title and a third straight win in the Rose Bowl. After earning Freshman All-American first team honors in 2006 when he had 62 tackles and 3 interceptions, he was named an All-American first team pick as a sophomore in 2007 with 65 tackles and 6 deflections.

Archived