THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Backers - Wisconsin

Riffer X

I relocated to the Appleton/Green Bay area a few months back for work. Since I have been here, I have not had any luck in finding a local pub for Browns fans to meet. Madison and Milwaukee both have chapters, but that is way south of here. There have to be a bunch of Cleveland fans around here, there always is. I sent the Browns an email and am awaiting a response on how to go about locating fans in the area and possibly starting a Browns Backer Chapter for this section of Wisconsin.

I am going to the preseason game in Green Bay and will be meeting up with the Madison Chapter's President and hopefully meet and identify others from the immediate area. If there is anybody on the board who lives up here or happens to know of someone who does please let me know.

After being here for about three months I have come to the following conclusions about Green Bay fans for those that are interested.

--Everybody is a Pack fan to some level except for the few stragglers who are Chicago or Minnesota fans.

--Although everyone is a fan of some sort and you don't have annoying Pittspuke bandwagon queers running around everywhere, the level of fandom differs. Think back circa the mid to late 90's with the Tribe and how everybody was all of a sudden a fan - that is kind of how it is here.

--Just because they are a fan doesn't mean they know anything, I have found that out. For one, it was difficult to find any Pack fans who were even remotely interested in the draft. Now I know we are tainted because the draft is our annual rite of passage, but regardless how successful your team is you would think something as important as the draft would be a big deal in the slow off season.

--There are a ton of women who are fans, and even some who are pretty diehard. Now, I am not sure if they would be huge fans if the Pack was say, oh, I don't know, the Browns since '99, but nonetheless they are fans and don't root for the arch rival Piss and Black like in Ohio.

--Most are completely ambivalent about the Browns and have sort of a morbid curiosity as to why someone would even be a fan of such a team - that is mostly the younger generation. When it comes to the older barber shop type of fans, they have a mutual respect for the Browns and our fans and know the game.

--One thing is certain, and that is Pack fans are spoiled big time. Not in a Pittspuke sense where anything that doesn't remotely go there way they whine, but more in a top notch college program sense.

Lastly, not sure what to say about the fact that moving away from Cleveland has gotten me away from mounds of smelly Stiller choads, but something doesn't seem right about it. Nevertheless, it is nice not having them around gayly flapping dem gums.

I literally just moved from Appleton, WI to Rochester, MN taking what was probably the only Browns fan you would find. In my years of college and living throughout Oshkosh, De Pere, and Appleton I met one die hard Browns fan and also Joe Thomas' brother went to University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. You'll see a lot of Thomas jerseys at the pre-season game, I'm thinking about making the trip over as I went to the two preseason games in 09 and 10.

I did enjoy growing up in Wisconsin... When you go to Green Bay on gameday, it simply cannot be rivaled anywhere else, awesome atmosphere...

I literally just moved from Appleton, WI to Rochester, MN taking what was probably the only Browns fan you would find. In my years of college and living throughout Oshkosh, De Pere, and Appleton I met one die hard Browns fan and also Joe Thomas' brother went to University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. You'll see a lot of Thomas jerseys at the pre-season game, I'm thinking about making the trip over as I went to the two preseason games in 09 and 10.

I did enjoy growing up in Wisconsin... When you go to Green Bay on gameday, it simply cannot be rivaled anywhere else, awesome atmosphere...

Interesting. What made you become a Browns fan in the first place if you grew up in Appleton?

I am sort of surprised I haven't remotely come close to seeing Cleveland fans yet. I have run into some Buckeyes fans, but nothing Cleveland related. I think I am just going to start a Backers Chapter and let people find it online.

Ha ha, I used to live in Eagle River, winters suck ass crack. Makes Cleveland winters look like North Carolina.

Nice people though, their fans love their team for all the right reasons, very similar to Cleveland fans.

Yea the younger fans don't remember they were the laughing stock of the league at one time.

Ha ha, I used to live in Eagle River, winters suck ass crack. Makes Cleveland winters look like North Carolina.

Nice people though, their fans love their team for all the right reasons, very similar to Cleveland fans.

Dated a nice gal from there, but that is wayyyy up north dude. You're talking almost 3 hours from Green Bay let alone Appleton. Serious God's country.

Dated a nice gal from there, but that is wayyyy up north dude. You're talking almost 3 hours from Green Bay let alone Appleton. Serious God's country.

I actually lived in Conover, 15 miles NORTH of Eagle River, I used to ride my mini bike to the UP (Upers, lol). There is a bar up there owned by Loretta Lynn's sister. Met Loretta Lynn there, super nice lady. There is another bar, the Log Cabin, the best pizza on the planet. I've been around man, this is up there with the best, if you get a chance, stop by. My aunt bar tends there part time.

I actually lived in Conover, 15 miles NORTH of Eagle River, I used to ride my mini bike to the UP (Upers, lol). There is a bar up there owned by Loretta Lynn's sister. Met Loretta Lynn there, super nice lady. There is another bar, the Log Cabin, the best pizza on the planet. I've been around man, this is up there with the best, if you get a chance, stop by. My aunt bar tends there part time.

man, makes me want to make a road trip. love finding cool out of the way places. but yeah i could just imagine the winters. i guess everyone would have to have at least one snowmobile in the garage.

didn't loretta lynn get a boob job when she was like 60 something years old? i mean by that time ladies, just give it up. you can't fight gravity all your life.

man, makes me want to make a road trip. love finding cool out of the way places. but yeah i could just imagine the winters. i guess everyone would have to have at least one snowmobile in the garage.

didn't loretta lynn get a boob job when she was like 60 something years old? i mean by that time ladies, just give it up. you can't fight gravity all your life.

I say let them get it done, I am all for it.

One thing unique in WI and Kosar can probably attest is, they shake dice for shots. It is some sort of game. I am not a big fan, I would rather just order a friggen shot when I am ready rather than bang dice on the bar out of a canister.

To each their own.

Yea man great place to visit say September, the musky fishing is outragious.

Yea some people in my class drove snow mobiles to school.

This was a while ago meeting loretta lynn. I don't remember her tit size.

I say let them get it done, I am all for it.

One thing unique in WI and Kosar can probably attest is, they shake dice for shots. It is some sort of game. I am not a big fan, I would rather just order a friggen shot when I am ready rather than bang dice on the bar out of a canister.

To each their own.

Yep I remember that dice game. Not much to do in the winter other than go to the bar even if you are 12 years old. Learned to drive at 12, designated driver.

Yep I remember that dice game. Not much to do in the winter other than go to the bar even if you are 12 years old. Learned to drive at 12, designated driver.

my twin brother and older sister had to take shifts of driving a stick shift volkswagen van with 'wet bar' included from maine back to ohio every summer as he was too cocked on gin martinis to even think about driving. lot of odd looks by other commuters passing by, let alone the troopers.

ahh, the good old days! :unsure:

My son lives in Milwaukee and told me about the dice game. i don't really understand it either.

i took him to Lambeau when the Browns played there. i proudly wore my I HATE THE STEELERS shirt. The fans were a blast, and the stadium is like a cathedral. i hope you get a chance to catch a game.

I've played bar dice more than a few times during college in Wisconsin. You shake to see who pays for the shot, a lot of times you will get lucky and the bartender will have to "pay"

And about becoming a Browns fan from Wisconsin, it just happened when I started following football in 2000... My family was never really into to football, so I could start with a clean slate. Now I follow and adore the Cleveland Browns and will root for Green Bay when they aren't playing them.

A couple of notes: 1. You probably don't see many fans of other teams in northern Wisconsin because of it smallish population and because it is not a place, generally, where people relocate to. I hear you went there for the job, but I suspect that is rare. Its not like that is the south or west where a lot of people have moved there that have loyalty to a different team. Those locals are loyal to their team.

2. With the Packers history, you are not going to find too many FRAKs up there. Bandwagon jumpers for their rival team. The Packers have been the big dog in that vicinity.

Their two closest rivals, the Bears and Vikings, have not been that successful, so unlike the complete asshole sniffing schlubs that we have around here, you don't have them there so much.

3 My wife is from Wisconsin, and we have a family friend that lives right on the river in Green Bay. (an ex teacher that is pushing 90 years old). My father in law, who is now 89 was a friend of Don Hutsons who owned a Cadillac dealership in Racine for years.

Archived