THE BROWNS BOARD

Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare Individual Mandate As A Tax

Actually t I think they will just raise the limit on what's considered poor.

a lot of them will just get their insurance paid for and the rest will be on a government program.

And you are predicting a massive tax hike?

What do you think this is?

And I agree that employers will think twice about hiring full time workers and giving the ones they have a 5 or 700 dollar raise month.

WSS

This is only for businesses larger than 50.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doubtful,at least not for awhile. . You'd need at least a masters and tons of experience to be paid that much. You will also have to work as an engineering intern before you can even apply to become a PE.

Well duh I need experience.

and I hope to get my masters in some engineering or an MBA after a few years work experience

and I am an intern right now

You have a lot to learn grasshopper.

What is that last post indicates I have a lot to learn? Lol

Those were just facts and my academic plan from here on out. Sure it could change, but that is what I am shooting for right now.

Also, I realize I am not guaranteed big money by any means. I am just saying those highly paid engineers are out there (though many jump to business) and I will do what it takes to get there too. Unless I end up happily somewhere else, you never know.

Uh, I'm 20 and going to college, I obviously don't pay for my own health insurance. Why would I? I'm pretty sure its much cheaper to be on my families plan.

But, when I am out of school, and have a job, I'll get health insurance. Or, I'll just pay for my part of the plan cuz I can stay on it until I am 26 now.

I still don't see why you wouldn't have insurance if you couldn't afford it.

As a future healthcare professional, here are my two cents. This is a good thing. It may hurt my bottom line in the long run, but medicine shouldn't be about getting rich. I'm just saying that I don't see physicians making any less than six figures. I'm going to live comfortably regardless of what happens.

To the future physicians who ARE bitching about it, go fuck yourselves, if you want to get rich, go be an investment banker. The unemployment rate for physicians is 0.7%, and the demand for them is only going to rise once this goes into effect. Essentially, we have more job security than everyone in the country, and you don't even appreciate that, you selfish bastards. Sorry that I don't feel any sympathy for you and your meager 120k salary. Get over it and think about the oath you're planning on taking when you graduate.

Ahh.. the idealistic med student.

Print out your post and keep it in your wallet so you can refer to it after you graduate and begin working for a large hospital conglomerate that demands you see 45-50 pts/day, so they can keep their bottom line. Wait til they have you bending the insurance code rules so that their bottom line stays afloat. "Think about that oath" as you walk in to each patient's room and keep your hand on the doorknob as you skim through the dx that your nurse just made, and then walk out.

Or if you decide to be brave and venture out in to private practice primary care, understand just how much of a "meager $120k" you will need just to cover your malpractice insurance (which is expected to increase significantly as you begin seeing all of these extra patients not previously insured).

Wait til you have to have a patient sign a consent form that still doesnt hold up in court for you to drain a head & neck abscess so large it has compromised the patients airway, and they try to sue you for it (after you've just saved their life of course).

Point your wagging, fucking finger at the attorneys, and not your fellow "health care professionals."

Ahh.. the idealistic med student.

Print out your post and keep it in your wallet so you can refer to it after you graduate and begin working for a large hospital conglomerate that demands you see 45-50 pts/day, so they can keep their bottom line. Wait til they have you bending the insurance code rules so that their bottom line stays afloat. "Think about that oath" as you walk in to each patient's room and keep your hand on the doorknob as you skim through the dx that your nurse just made, and then walk out.

Or if you decide to be brave and venture out in to private practice primary care, understand just how much of a "meager $120k" you will need just to cover your malpractice insurance (which is expected to increase significantly as you begin seeing all of these extra patients not previously insured).

Wait til you have to have a patient sign a consent form that still doesnt hold up in court for you to drain a head & neck abscess so large it has compromised the patients airway, and they try to sue you for it (after you've just saved their life of course).

Point your wagging, fucking finger at the attorneys, and not your fellow "health care professionals."

Nope. I'll keep wagging my finger at health care professionals who complain about the things I spoke about. Again, I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for any of the situations you mentioned above. The unemployment rate for physicians is 0.7%, so you have more peace of mind on that end than anyone in the country.

There's so much that needs to be done to fix the problem that is the current state of healthcare. The AHA is a step in the right direction.

I still don't see how that's worth the risk

Then you are incredibly risk averse. Health insurance for young healthy people will cost significantly more than the amount of health care they are expected to consume. And most conditions requiring significant amounts of care are of the type that you can wait until they have occurred to buy insurance (cancer, for example). I think a conservative guess would be that the expected cost of health insurance for a healthy young man is 4x that of not having health insurance. I won't try to change your risk preferences, but I think it should be pretty straightforward to see why someone would choose to forego insurance.

Then you are incredibly risk averse. Health insurance for young healthy people will cost significantly more than the amount of health care they are expected to consume. And most conditions requiring significant amounts of care are of the type that you can wait until they have occurred to buy insurance (cancer, for example). I think a conservative guess would be that the expected cost of health insurance for a healthy young man is 4x that of not having health insurance. I won't try to change your risk preferences, but I think it should be pretty straightforward to see why someone would choose to forego insurance.

I had my tonsils removed last year. I don't remember the bill for that. I was put on meds which I was allergic to. The allergic reaction made me puke up everything, including water. I went to the ER for an IV. The bill for the IV was $1000. A bag of saltwater costs $1000.

I'm insured, and I paid $10 for each visit. Insurance for young people is a good idea.

I had my tonsils removed last year. I don't remember the bill for that. I was put on meds which I was allergic to. The allergic reaction made me puke up everything, including water. I went to the ER for an IV. The bill for the IV was $1000. A bag of saltwater costs $1000.

I'm insured, and I paid $10 for each visit. Insurance for young people is a good idea.

If insurance is cheaper than paying out of pocket for getting tonsils removed, you couldve bought insurance when you realized you needed your tonsils removed. Odds are, you would not have done so, because insurance is SO much more than $2,000. But you wouldve had that option, and so this offers no evidence at all that not having insurance would have had a negative result. And, of course, the price would likely have been less than $2000 had you been uninsured, because those prices are absurd.

Insurance for healthy young people is usually not a good idea.

I understand statistics, but the risk of having a major illness or injury and not being covered could cripple you financially. I'd rather pay a little over time when I can afford it than pay a whole bunch all at once and possibly fall into debt.

If insurance is cheaper than paying out of pocket for getting tonsils removed, you couldve bought insurance when you realized you needed your tonsils removed. Odds are, you would not have done so, because insurance is SO much more than $2,000. But you wouldve had that option, and so this offers no evidence at all that not having insurance would have had a negative result. And, of course, the price would likely have been less than $2000 had you been uninsured, because those prices are absurd.

Insurance for healthy young people is usually not a good idea.

Except surgery is much more than $2000. When I got my wisdom teeth removed maybe 5? years ago, I remember the bill being around 3? thousand dollars. It's $1000 for a bag of 0.9% NaCl.

I understand statistics, but the risk of having a major illness or injury and not being covered could cripple you financially. I'd rather pay a little over time when I can afford it than pay a whole bunch all at once and possibly fall into debt.

At some point that is no longer true, right? What if the cost is 5x more if you have insurance? or 10 or 20?

Archived