THE BROWNS BOARD

Andy Griffith Dead At 86

Legendary television actor Andy Griffith dead at 86

Published July 03, 2012

FoxNews.com

• andygriffith.jpg Andy Griffith as "Matlock"
  • andy%20griffiths%20show%20andy%20and%20barney.jpg Don Knotts and Andy Griffith in "The Andy Griffith Show."
  • andy640.jpg Don Knotts and Andy Griffith in "The Andy Griffith Show."

Next Slide Previous Slide Legendary television actor Andy Griffith, who made a name for himself with his self-titled comedy "The Andy Griffith Show" and later on the long-running series “Matlock,” has died at the age of 86.

Griffith was rushed to a North Carolina hospital by an EMS team after they were called to his Roanoke home Tuesday morning. Judy Panitch, a rep for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, to where the actor donated a great deal of time and funds, confirmed the news to Fox411 Tuesday.

The details surrounding the cause of his death were not immediately available.

Director Ron Howard expressed his condolences at the news via his Twitter page.

"His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy," he wrote.

Griffith first gained prominence in Hollywood after appearing in the Elia Kazan film “A Face in the Crowd.”

In 1960, he played the lead character in “The Andy Griffith Show,” where he became a household name and a staple of American television. The show ran until 1968.

In 1986, he returned to television with the long-running series, “Matlock.”

He was later awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George Bush.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/07/03/legendary-television-actor-andy-griffith-dead-at-86-report-says/#ixzz1zZnWRRpI

That Mayberry show - always loved it. When he appeared in the Brad Paisley video "Waitin on a Woman"... that was priceless.

RIP. I think the funniest part of that long running series was Ernest T. Bass's antics, and "Andy" 's reaction to him.

That Mayberry show - always loved it. When he appeared in the Brad Paisley video "Waitin on a Woman"... that was priceless.

RIP. I think the funniest part of that long running series was Ernest T. Bass's antics, and "Andy" 's reaction to him.

I can still see Ernest T throwing rocks, laughing, & jumping up & down.

One of the funniest episodes was the Danny Thomas Show that started it all with Danny spending time in Andy's jail while on a trip. It wasn't exactly like Andy's series, but it blazed the trail for his show.

BTW, if you haven't seen the old Andy Griffith movie, No Time for Sergeants", it's always good for a laugh.

Undoubtedly one of the most beloved entertainers ever, he will be missed. RIP Andy.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

watched that show as a kid. didn't really understand the "Otis the Drunk' character then but have since become him. pretty edgy time for tv then, race wise, as i don't ever remember a black character on that show let alone others at that time...green acres is another.

the guy was not the greatest actor and the matlock series was just plain awful.

but to anyone who has passed good or bad i wish the best for them in the next life (except maybe hitler, mussulini, stalin, michael jackson etc. etc.).

R.I.P.

watched that show as a kid. didn't really understand the "Otis the Drunk' character then but have since become him. pretty edgy time for tv then, race wise, as i don't ever remember a black character on that show let alone others at that time...green acres is another.

the guy was not the greatest actor and the matlock series was just plain awful.

but to anyone who has passed good or bad i wish the best for them in the next life (except maybe hitler, mussulini, stalin, michael jackson etc. etc.).

R.I.P.

Hitler, mussolini, Stalin, Michael Jackson...

Really?

Archived