THE BROWNS BOARD

Moonlight Kingdom Review

Moonlight Kingdom

Focus

PG 13 94 min

So I heard rumors of Cannes hit MOONLIGHT KINGDOM and was disappointed to see that it was in very limited release. Focus films usually run outside the main stream, sometimes way out side, but it's nice when they show up on a local screen. So thanks you Plaza in Cuyahoga Falls, Regal Montrose and especially the Cedar Lee. I actually planned to see something else and only noted that it was playing when I looked at the marquee. The reason I was intrigued to see this one was the cast. Bruce Willis, Francis McDormand, Harvey Keitel, Edward Norton and a rare appearance by the elusive Bill Murray. None of these actors seem to be the kind to take a bad flick for a quick buck.

Outside of that I had no clue what it was to be about. It turned out to be a sweet but quirky tale of pre adolescent love set in the 1960s. Oh not be actual 1960s, but the surrealistic 1960s that many off the wall films find themselves in. To be sure the kids are the stars of the film despite the heavyweight supporting cast.

That surrealism is actually a big part of what makes this film cool.

After being bounced from one foster home to another, troubled teenager Sam winds up in a quasi para military scout camp. He's noticeably eccentric even in a world where eccentricity seems to be the rule rather than the exception. 1 day while a wall from the camp Sam (Jared Gilman) will meet Suzi (Kara Hayward) performing in a local theater production. The two youngsters form a bond, fall in love and will eventually elope. Their unexpected disappearance will become the basis of the entire film as parents, police and scouts all team up to track them down.

Along with the manhunt, well maybe kid hunt, there are entanglements among many of the other characters that fill in the story. In an odd way it seems like director Wes Anderson uses those other characters almost like the odd period props that make the scenery so strikingly weird. Friction between Khaki Scout masters Norton and Keitel, the love affair between Suzi's mother (McDormand) and bachelor cop (Willis) and the threat of social services’ Nurse Ratched-like boss make up a riveting and off kilter story.

And redemption for, well almost everyone.

It’s a love or hate flick but I come down on the love side.

B

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

• 3 months later...

Moonlight Kingdom

Focus

PG 13 94 min

So I heard rumors of Cannes hit MOONLIGHT KINGDOM and was disappointed to see that it was in very limited release. Focus films usually run outside the main stream, sometimes way out side, but it's nice when they show up on a local screen. So thanks you Plaza in Cuyahoga Falls, Regal Montrose and especially the Cedar Lee. I actually planned to see something else and only noted that it was playing when I looked at the marquee. The reason I was intrigued to see this one was the cast. Bruce Willis, Francis McDormand, Harvey Keitel, Edward Norton and a rare appearance by the elusive Bill Murray. None of these actors seem to be the kind to take a bad flick for a quick buck.

Outside of that I had no clue what it was to be about. It turned out to be a sweet but quirky tale of pre adolescent love set in the 1960s. Oh not be actual 1960s, but the surrealistic 1960s that many off the wall films find themselves in. To be sure the kids are the stars of the film despite the heavyweight supporting cast.

That surrealism is actually a big part of what makes this film cool.

After being bounced from one foster home to another, troubled teenager Sam winds up in a quasi para military scout camp. He's noticeably eccentric even in a world where eccentricity seems to be the rule rather than the exception. 1 day while a wall from the camp Sam (Jared Gilman) will meet Suzi (Kara Hayward) performing in a local theater production. The two youngsters form a bond, fall in love and will eventually elope. Their unexpected disappearance will become the basis of the entire film as parents, police and scouts all team up to track them down.

Along with the manhunt, well maybe kid hunt, there are entanglements among many of the other characters that fill in the story. In an odd way it seems like director Wes Anderson uses those other characters almost like the odd period props that make the scenery so strikingly weird. Friction between Khaki Scout masters Norton and Keitel, the love affair between Suzi's mother (McDormand) and bachelor cop (Willis) and the threat of social services’ Nurse Ratched-like boss make up a riveting and off kilter story.

And redemption for, well almost everyone.

It’s a love or hate flick but I come down on the love side.

B

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Watched it last night. Really enjoyed it. Quirky and the whole thing seemed to be shot in tint of a yellowed kodak picture from the 60's ... but very well acted and fun to follow.

Zombo

A bad flick for a quick buck? Well it has been getting great reviews so far! Want to see it!

Not at all.

I see it as a quirky art film for an eclectic audience.

SILENT HILL 3 would be a better example a bad film for a quick buck.

Or possibly 80 percent off everything released around Halloween.

WSS

Not at all.

I see it as a quirky art film for an eclectic audience.

SILENT HILL 3 would be a better example a bad film for a quick buck.

Or possibly 80 percent off everything released around Halloween.

WSS

I haven't seen silent hill 2 (I believe its two) but I rather liked the first silent hill. It was much more true to the vidya game then, say, the execreble resident evil movies

Watched it last night. Really enjoyed it. Quirky and the whole thing seemed to be shot in tint of a yellowed kodak picture from the 60's ... but very well acted and fun to follow.

Zombo

That is Wes Anderson's aesthetic. If you haven't seen the The Royal Tenenbaums yet, buy it, 10 times better than Moonlight Kingdom (still a good flick). By far Anderson's best movie followed by Bottle Rocket. In my top 3 today.

That is Wes Anderson's aesthetic. If you haven't seen the The Royal Tenenbaums yet, buy it, 10 times better than Moonlight Kingdom (still a good flick). By far Anderson's best movie followed by Bottle Rocket. In my top 3 today.

Ya, I have seen those as well. Tenenbaums is my favorite of his, but i really like Moonrise too.

Zombo

Archived