THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns Training Camp Tour

TheClevelandSound

I will be listening to most of this show. It's three hours long. Hosted by Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan. Player and coaching interviews all day. THIS BEGINNING POST WILL BE EDITED THROUGHOUT THE DAY. Here are my notes so far:

3:05PM...Hosts talk about new ownership change and how there will not be a complete overhaul of the front office.

3:15...Interview with Pat Shurmur. Talks about practice format and how his role as changed with the addition of Brad Childress.

3:17...Hosts and Shurmur both impressed with receiving corps. Very impressed with Josh Gordon and Travis Benjamin. Predicts big season for Greg Little.

3:19...Colt McCoy handling QB situation very well according to PS. Working on progressions so much better this year than last year.

3:20...Hardesty looking so much more energetic and will balance well with T Rich and B Jack. Going to be a tough decision at cut time.

3:22...Tim Ryan says team looks in much better shape physically than last year. B Jack looks much more bigger.

3:23...T Rich has good hands out of the backfield as well. Blocking has become a point of interest as well.

3:25...Pat Kirwan impressed with TE Cops. PS says they catch very well. Jordan Cameron looking very well. Big jump from last year.

3:26...Improvements at defense. Young DT's have shown progress. Will lose Phil Taylor for about 8 weeks staring now. New LB's used well for Special teams.

3:26...Scott Fujita's suspension will need new LB's ready for start of season. PS confident in young LB corps.

3:27...Battle at FS between Eric Haag and Usama Young. Haag in first team defense. Eric Haag has been very vocal and shows leadership qualities.

3:28...FS Gibson has good ball skills and is quick, made good plays today.

3:29...PS talks about proportions of playing time for preseason games. Vague, nothing really said here.

(Commercial Break)

3:41...Joe Thomas joins the show.

3:42...JT's thoughts on the sale. JT does not see it as a distraction.

3:42...JT's opinion on Brandon Weeden. He thinks he has looked good. Impressed with arm and accuracy.

3:42...JT likes running back group. Really happy to get Brandon Jackson back healthy.

3:43...JT is impressed with how intelligent Mitchell Schwartz is.

3:44...JT loves having Brad Childress there so the pressure is off of PS and he can just worry about being the head coach.

3:45...JT loves Gordon's hands. Commented on tipped ball today in practice that Josh Gordon caught.

3:45...JT says Jabaal Sheard has a huge upside, hasn't reached full potential yet. Rucker will take away heat from Sheard this year.

3:49...JT done with his interview, hosts talking about T Rich making the defense stacking the box.

(Commercial Break)

3:55...Josh Gordon joins the show.

3:56...Josh Gordon was shocked that he was taken in the 2nd round of supplemental draft. Very happy in Cleveland.

3:57...JG talks about the comparison between Browns offense and offense at Baylor. Completely different systems. Still picked it up well.

3:57...JG takes lots of notes in the film room and during meetings, which impresses the hosts.

3:59...JG getting most of his reps at the X spot and some Z spot but looking like he will be the #1 guy.

3:59...JG confident in his blocking skills because of his big body. Likes run blocking and helping out the RB.

4:00...Hosts ask JG about tipped pass today that he caught. He was in the area and saw it in the air and got the ball. Didn't finish but wanted to (TD).

4:00...JG talks about his past issues. Says he is only looking forward to the future. Does not want to make the same mistakes again. Thankful for opp.

4:01...JG beating the press coverage is biggest transition coming from college to the pros.

4:01...End of JG interview, hosts talk about his expectations. Slant route, fade route, and sluggo runner primarily.

(Commercial Break)

4:08...More talk of Jimmy Halsam III. Likely introduction in 24 hours (press conference).

4:11...Taking phone calls from fans.

4:11...Caller asks why Phil Dawson cannot be signed long term. Older age for Phil may be factor.

4:12...Possibly using WR tag on Josh Cribbs next season but hosts don't think it will happen because of his role.

4:13...Steelers fan calls in (idiot). Thinks conflict of interest for Haslam III because he is a former Steelers owner. Dumb question. Sounded dumb. Dumb.

4:15...Different NFL talks around the league. Non-Browns related.

4:16...Browns fan calls in from Arizona. Predicts 8-8 record. Sees parallels between us and 1999 St. Louis Rams. Also asks about uniform changes.

4:16...Hosts respond. No uniform changes for the Browns in near future. 8 wins would be a good season for Cleveland.

4:18...Oklamhoma Browns fan calls in. Asks about PS job security with new owner. Host say it only depends on wins. Nothing else.

4:19...Hosts talk about traditions of Cleveland Browns and it would be good for the NFL to have Cleveland be a winning team again.

4:20...Browns may be adopting the "Steelers way" with the activity of the owner with the franchise. Haslam went to every Steelers game during his ownership.

(Commercial Break)

4:24...Greg Little joins the show. Said he has been swimming in the offseason to build his conditioning.

4:25...GL set a good foundation as a rookie. Still wants to improve.

4:26...Will be used in the slot more this year than last year. Talking about motion plays. Technical info about motions and shifts.

4:27...Talks about leading with the helmet. Wants to play hard but play safe.

4:28...Hosts impressed with Brandon Weeden's 2 minute drill today. GL says he has good tempo. Also comments on his veteran attitude and wisdom.

4:28...Hosts point out how GL can relate to Josh Gordon because of same situation last year. Told JG "Can't come to practice and think gameday will be easier"

4:30...Hosts ask about MoMass and where his head is. GL says MoMass is confident in his abilities and not worried about his role changing.

4:31...Hosts ask about passing opps with T Rich on the field. Same deal as before with 7-8 guys crowding the box opening up play action and such.

4:32...Greg Little ends interview.

(Commercial Break)

4:37...Taking more calls. Asks about 3rd preseason game and 1st regular season game, both against the Eagles. How that could possibly change "dress rehearsal".

4:38...Hosts say 3rd game will still be dress rehearsal but it will be more vanilla.

4:39...Caller asks about Brandon Weeden looking like a franchise QB. Hosts say too early to tell but maturity is much greater than any rookie.

4:40...North Carolina Browns fan calls in. Says he is more impressed with Pat Schurmur as a coach and feels more confident in him than last year.

4:41...Also asks about Sheldon Brown getting old but hosts like the depth at defensive backs. Dimitri and Skrine the future of the browns DB's.

4:43...Producer for show comments about Carlton Mitchell and how is will be LUCKY to make practice squad. Disappointment.

(Commercial Break)

4:48...More phone calls. Ohio Browns fan not big Weeden fan. Asks what would have happened if we took Decastro instead of Weeden? Colt being QB.

4:49...Hosts don't know the answer because it's impossible to know. Offensive scheme hasn't changed so it's irrelevant.

4:50...Another caller. Season ticket holder. Cautiously optimistic. Could see 6 wins. Wants fans to be patient. Has questions on Hardesty and Josh Cooper.

4:51...Hosts say Josh Cooper good route runner but up against it to make the final roster but practice squad excellent possibility.

4:52...Hosts say Hardesty could be played alot in preseason for the purpose of trading him later on.

4:52...Another caller. Wants to get rid of the Browns name and uniforms and wants the Cleveland Bulldogs. Hosts thinks he is an idiot. Everyone does. Dumb.

4:54...Same caller admits he is a Steelers fan. Now it all makes sense.

4:55...Hosts talk about Brandon Weedens arm. Extremely impressed in deep ball and thinks there will be alot of deep plays this year with Brad Childress.

4:56...Brad Childress joins the show.

4:57...BC loves working with the RB corps. T Rich very impressive with pads. B Jack is impressive as well.

4:59...BC going to use some no-huddle plays with Weeden this year. He looks like a veteran during 2 minute drills.

5:00...BC thinks 2nd round pick was worth it for Josh Gordon. Greg Little looks much more in shape as well.

(Commercial Break)

5:08...BC talks about Schwartz at RT. Quick learner, especially with Sheard on him every day.

5:09...BC talks about Alex Mack. Very good center, one of the best he has seen. Very intelligent.

5:10...BC talks about Joe Thomas. Says best to ever play the game at LT. Hosts agree.

5:11...BC talks about Colt McCoy and QB competition. Sees alot of improvement from last year. Same comments as before.

5:12...BC talks about Weeden being extremely accountable and having a short memory, which is good for QB's.

5:13...Brad Childress interview ends.

5:14...Phone caller. Asks about Travis Benjamin and explosive plays. Hosts say he has been the most impressive receiver so far in camp.

5:16...Phone caller from Pittsburgh. Says the Steelers should change their name to the Squeelers with a pig as their mascot. Smart man.

5:17...Caller from PA who has actually done business with the Haslam family before. Loves the way they operate.

5:20...Same caller gives Heckert tons of credit. Hosts agree. Very bright caller.

(Commercial Break)

I have to head out but there is a ton of very important and useful information on these notes to read over. Learned alot today. Sirius XM really does an excellent job with their training camp tour. Interviews with Scott Fujita, D'Qwell Jackson, Brandon Weeden, and Joe Haden. Show lasts till 7PM so if someone hears those interviews, feel free to post the info.

Hope everyone enjoyed!

Thanks for putting all that up. Great info!

Can't wait to hear from Jimmy tomorrow. The one quote I did read from him seemed to me that he got it.

Won't move the team, honored to own a storied franchise, wants to restore them to nfl elite. I am down, just give heckert a fair chance to keep his job. Hell, even PS and his staff if they deserve it this year.

I know we're all Browns fans here and are overly excited and optimistic, but to call this team the worst or one of the worst in the league is absurd. I definitely see us surpassing last seasons win total and having a much more competitive and exciting team to watch. I can't wait. I ain't our year, and we all know it, we hope we make a huge leap, but sometimes taking a small leap is good too. We're on the right path.

I'm very excited about this year. Thanks for posting all of the info. It was a great read. I have a feeling Gordon will be a starter from day 1 with the way he's practicing. Gotta be excited about the potential Gordon, Little, and Benjamin sets. I'm also excited for what Cameron's done in TC. This might not be his year to breakout, but you can feel it. He's going to have a few big games at least. Can't wait.

EDIT: 300th post!

ESPN's John Clayton called the Browns' receiving corps "a promising unit" and said that the Browns' offense "looks potentially explosive and exciting."

What's up with this positive and informative post?

No homo joke, no cut job? Not even a Jon Gruden reference?

I feel like I don't even know you anymore.

Zombo

Greg Little joins the show. Said he has been swimming in the offseason to build his conditioning.

Smart move. I wonder if he'll go for some ballet dancing classes? (yes, that's a Lynn Swan reference...)

Little, Gordon, Benjamin, the rest of the guys... oh, this offense will be unstoppable when they get rolling. I think that will

be maybe after almost a half dozen games....

What's up with this positive and informative post?

No homo joke, no cut job? Not even a Jon Gruden reference?

I feel like I don't even know you anymore.

Zombo

I took sometime to decompress, being negative and bitter was killing the fun for rooting for the browns...

And your also not the same man I fell in love with..

Archived