THE BROWNS BOARD

Gocong Carted Off

runyon27

Being reported that Chis Gocong got hurt today, could be serious.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3712/chris-gocong

Browns WLB Chris Gocong was carted off with a right leg injury in Saturday's practice.

We typically wait for more details before reporting on camp injuries, but the consensus among Browns beat writers is that Gocong's injury is serious. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi speculates it's an Achilles issue. We'll know more soon, but it sounds like Cleveland's weak-side linebacker is dealing with a possibly season-ending injury

It makes me made because he is a starter and he did show up for the last half of the season last year and because Fujita is already out the first 3 games, but he isn't the most talented guy on the defense. Its not like when I heard Taylor was out. That hurt. Imagine if we read this about Haden, Ward, Rubin, Sheard, of Jackson. JMJ can replace him, he has been having an awesome camp, and someone can fill in during the first 3 games when Fujita is out. Miava can stand in for a few games. Plus our young LB have been having a great camp. aparently LJ Fort has been doing good work.

We dont have enough depth at LB to be missing two starter for any amount of time. I hope he is ok.

Ditto.

If he is out 3 0r 4 weeks, that is fine because the rookies will get more game action and practice.

But he is a solid guy and we can't really afford to lose any starters anywhere.

Zombo

i know i'll sound like a broken record but after drafting TR, weeden and schwartz, for heckert not to package some picks to move up and draft one of the 'stud' LBs in the draft is inconceivable to me. i don't think there has been a draft in recent history so deep with quality LBs. and we walk away with 2 special teamers? with 12 picks?

worse moves heckert has made since being here.

gocong solid? another philly connection is all he is. if he played for the cardinals heckert wouldn't have even looked at him.

i know i'll sound like a broken record but after drafting TR, weeden and schwartz, for heckert not to package some picks to move up and draft one of the 'stud' LBs in the draft is inconceivable to me. i don't think there has been a draft in recent history so deep with quality LBs. and we walk away with 2 special teamers? with 12 picks?

worse moves heckert has made since being here.

gocong solid? another philly connection is all he is. if he played for the cardinals heckert wouldn't have even looked at him.

Who the hell did you want since you think the draft was so choke full of deep linebacker talent? JLJ was considered the 4th or 5th best 4-3 linebacker in the draft by a lot of people and we got him in the 4th. So how deep did that draft really go?

There goes the run defense.

The run defense that seemed to give up 200 yards rushing every game?

But I guess look on the bright side. We knew injuries would happen, just like every year. If we can get Taylor back midseason, which is what I have been hearing, and Gocong is the only other major injury. I can deal with that.

Browns starting weakside linebacker Chris Gocong tore his right Achilles tendon this morning during practice, coach Pat Shurmur said this afternoon. Gocong will be out for the season.

Gocong will have surgery, Shurmur said. The procedure could be done as early as Monday.

"I don’t want an injury at any position," Shurmur said. "We just keep moving ahead. ... Nothing can stop the train. We’ve got to keep going."

Gocong suffered the injury during an 11-on-11, goal-line drill. As he tried to defend a touchdown pass to tight end Jordan Cameron, he planted his right leg, then lifted it, grabbed it while the ball was in the air and fell to the ground.

Gocong could not put weight on his leg as trainers helped him onto the cart. He was visibly upset, and starting strongside linebacker Scott Fujita immediately consoled him.

"He’s come so far as a player," Fujita said. "He was rewarded [with a contract extension] last season by the club. He came back this offseason and worked really, really hard. He came into training camp in great shape. He’s making so many plays out here in training camp. It’s tough when you see things like that happen."

Kaluka Maiava and rookies James-Michael Johnson, a fourth-round pick in this year's draft, and Emmanuel Acho, a sixth-round selection, could get chances to fill in for Gocong. Linebackers L.J. Fort and Craig Robertson have also caught the attention of the coaching staff, Shurmur said.

Gocong's injury is a significant blow to the defense. Fujita is suspended for the first three games of the season for his alleged role in the New Orleans Saints' bounty scandal. Starting defensive tackle Phil Taylor suffered a torn pectoral muscle in May and won't be back until late October at the earliest.

"Every year it's something," starting middle linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said. "With injuries or what have you, it's a part of the game that unfortunately you don't get used to it. But every time it happens it's a surprise for everyone. For the guys we do have on deck, guys are going to have to step up -- myself and everyone's going to have to take it to the next level."

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-lb-chris-gocong-out-for-season-with-torn-achilles-tendon-1.324816

---------------------------------------------

Man, this is a blow to our defense... BUT, if there is a positive in this anywhere it's in that this happened kinda early as opposed to later in Pre-Season... we will have time to compensate and figure something out.

The only problem with Gocong was that he doesn't have the speed to go to the sideline. He steps in a gap he is money which is why he was great in goal line situations. He should have always played on the short side of the field to make up for this fact but the problem was Fujita and Miava arn't any faster so it doesn't matter.

Pick out the 3-4 outside linebackers from that number and shoot it back this way.

so an ILB can't play the OLB position? an OLB can't play as a DE? a WR can't play the QB position?

wow. you've got GMs past and present rolling around in their graves.

you're a gem.

Did I hear right that GoCong is out for the season? Crap. But the Browns will have a couple of guys to step in.

Correct. Like Gocong was Pro Bowl material? Hardly. Not like the Browns run defense was stellar last year. Bring in the young guys.

Gocong is serviceable at best, he has many holes in his game and is easy to exploit so i believe you can grab about any notable undrafted LB and by mid season have a better player than gocong at his best..

The same goes for fujita the guy is barely serviceable and after the 3 game suspension the rookie johnson will be permanently taking his job and fujita knows it...

H&H are under heavy pressure to win now and impress jimmy haslam and having guys like fujita and gocong manning the OLB positions as starters will not help them get there..

They need to take some calculated chances @ OLB and make it pay off big..

JMJ - this kid should be exciting to watch. When GoCong came out of college, he was a quick, undersized college DE.

He impressed a lot of folks at the combine. But, now that the Browns have at least a little depth at every position,

it should pay off handsomely.

Archived