THE BROWNS BOARD

Rock And Roll Olympics?

miktoxic

this post will probably get moved (bored)

BUT

considering what the US has to offer as far as RandR today, we'd be lucky to score in the top ten of good music<countries.

what do you think? of course there'd have to be different genres. and the bands would have to be complete and whole w/o the excuse of someone being dead.

so there goes our gold medal hopes.........unless.....

Foo fighters are good. The elder statesmen of rock. If you think they're terrible you should YouTube their cover if "tie your mother down"

The black keys are hot as can be lately...we have the white stripes (I know they're broken up but jack whites still making music) I'm liking bands like cage the elephant...

Who exactly do you think is producing better rock music?

Guided by voices (an ohio band for ya'll that don't know them) have quietly been making some of the best old school (think the who meets moby grape with a dash of husker du) rock music since the early 90s. fhey had a run in the mid 90s until 2001of perfect r and r records. Still making music after about 30 studio releases and countless side projects.

The only Foo Fighters song I've ever really been able to get into was Everlong. That is a hell of a song. Other than that, it just seems to be overrated to me. Generic radio rock.

I'm more of the metal background and also bands that are technically sound on their instruments. One of my favorites is Between the Buried and Me. They are metal, so most people hate it. They scream a lot which deters most people from checking them out, but they are all very skilled musicians. In just about every song it drops from the blazing fast metal and screams and goes into very beautiful, melodic parts. Some songs can change from death metal, to smooth jazz, to thrash metal, to country in a split second. That's what I love about them. They have parts that sound like Pink Floyd at their best and then they follow it up with balls to the way thrash metal and death metal vocals. Based on talent alone, they'd be on the US Olympic Rock and Roll team.

But we all know what's popular isn't necessarily good. There is a big difference between talent and creating catchy songs that get popular. Our Olympic team would be Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and who knows what else. Lil Wayne? Terrible. Though I will admit, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, when actually letting it rip have wonderful voices. Most of the time they're doing that weird autotuned, vocal enhanced stuff that just makes the music terrible, but people love it. When they're singing, and I mean really singing, they do have beautiful voices. I wish they'd do that a little more. They should model themselves after Adele. Britain definitely has her on their Olympic team and she's gonna give it the ole Micheal Phelps performance and rake in the Golds. Hahaha.

Dave Grohl's a legend around my area. They just dedicated the worlds largest drumsticks to him at the Warren Ampitheater.

He was the drummer for Nirvana until Cobain's death. Then he started The Foo Fighters, and is still one of the most respected drummer's in the industry.

Music is about relating, thats why there's so many different genre's and styles.

i've got a couple of guided by voices cds, very underated.

i was thinking of more of the big names that still tour and i think that the euros would easily win the gold. roger waters is now touring the states doing his revamped 'the wall' tour. flippin awesome. someone mentioned adele which would outdo any female performer we could through at them. i can't stand any of the new 'popular' music. artists like black eyed peas, lady gag etc. just plain suck and if you'll notice most just lip sync performances so they couldn't be considered.

the newer stuff i do like that we could throw at them are bands like the shins. other than that i'm still stuck in the 60s 70s and 80s.

britain could still throw out the stones which would probably earn them a medal just because they're the stones.

That shit is old and tired. The stones, roger waters, Eddie vedder? Old old and old. We've still got the eagles and aerosmith, but they're irrelevant. Let's talk about the state of rock today, not yesteryear. Until the stones release some terrible new songs like van halen they're not even worth talking about in contemporary music

Here would be my Music Olympics Final Results by genre:

Classic Rock- USA

Punk Rock- United Kingdom

Alternative- USA

Blues- USA

Jazz- USA

Reggae- Jamaica

Ska- Ireland

Hair Metal- USA

Pop- Australia

Industrial- Germany

Modern Metal- USA

Black Metal- Norway

Electronic Dance Music- Sweden

Dubstep- United Kingdom

Hip Hop- USA

That's my count.

Classic Rock- USA

Punk Rock- United Kingdom

Alternative- USA

Blues- USA

Jazz- USA

Reggae- Jamaica

Ska- Ireland

Hair Metal- USA

Pop- Australia

Industrial- Germany

Modern Metal- USA

Black Metal- Norway

Electronic Dance Music- Sweden

Dubstep- United Kingdom

Hip Hop- USA

That's my count.

Interesting. Only thing I may question is Classic Rock. With The Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zeppelin, Bowie, Genesis, Other British Invasion acts, Queen etc. etc., I think you need to give that category to the UK.

Classic Rock- USA classic rock nowadays can be considered the carpenters, john denver, jim morrison, jimi hendrix etc....tooo bad they are all dead

Punk Rock- United Kingdom 1000%correct. even though we had CBGBs and bands like the ramones, patti smith etc. we couldn't touch bands like the clash, sex pistols or 999

Alternative- USA what era? 80's the brits crushed us with tears for fears, and also the trees, the smiths, echo and the bunnymen, bauhaus.......done deal.

Blues- USA no doubt about that one.

Jazz- USA emmmh? classic jazz from around the world? french? no way. USA gold all the way.

Reggae- Jamaica cough/ cough. you are correct sir.

Ska- Ireland WTF?? NOFING WAY! ska is british all the way (or british influenced).

Hair Metal- USA well yeah. germany a close second.

Pop- Australia more than what is played today today in the US? hell no.

Industrial- Germany YES...and some netherlands BUT most surprising is the US contenders NIN and MINISTRY,

Modern Metal- USA can't speak on it though i know a lead guitarist personally that plays in a band called 'MORTICIAN'

Black Metal- Norway yes sir. but see the category below.

Electronic Dance Music- Sweden ^

Dubstep- United Kingdom WTF?

Hip Hop- USA of course

That's my count.

That shit is old and tired. The stones, roger waters, Eddie vedder? Old old and old. We've still got the eagles and aerosmith, but they're irrelevant. Let's talk about the state of rock today, not yesteryear. Until the stones release some terrible new songs like van halen they're not even worth talking about in contemporary music

hey i totally agree with you BUT just cuz you weren't born when those bands were relevant is no reason to consider them as has beens. your choice of bands that you probably jerk off to nightly, have everything to do with the ground-breaking music and prod that they brought to the table while you were still shitting yellow.

radiohead would be anything without the influences of pink floyd? oasis=beattles ripoff. nick cave and the bad seeds w/o influences of dylan, reed or cochrane?

i could turn you onto shit made in any decade that would make you rethink the anti vedder and floyd comments.

to each his own.

what was your first album you bought? oh that's right they only had cds then.

hey i totally agree with you BUT just cuz you weren't born when those bands were relevant is no reason to consider them as has beens. your choice of bands that you probably jerk off to nightly, have everything to do with the ground-breaking music and prod that they brought to the table while you were still shitting yellow.

radiohead would be anything without the influences of pink floyd? oasis=beattles ripoff. nick cave and the bad seeds w/o influences of dylan, reed or cochrane?

i could turn you onto shit made in any decade that would make you rethink the anti vedder and floyd comments.

to each his own.

what was your first album you bought? oh that's right they only had cds then.

Actually it was cassette tapes, but my stepdad had literally hundreds of albums. Outside of the occasional niche song I pretty much don't accept that you could turn me on to anything I haven't heard. However this thread calls for Rock olympics. In the Olympics the best in the world RIGHT NOW compete. Nobody considered the USA fielding the 1992 dream team in 2012, even though they were undeniably great in 1992

I've been listening to Dirt Poor Robins a ton, lately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1m3XncKyL0

It's really hard for me to pin a sound on them. When I first heard em, I figured, "ehhhh, just another indie band." But holy crap, the male/female vocals are quirky yet fantastic, and the solos just rock. I heard them on Pandora when listening to the Black Keys radio, but I feel they've got more versatility. This song's just really happy sounding a la ELO or Rusted Root.

Archived