THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Impressing

Josh Gordon leapfrogs Josh Cribbs

Posted by Mike Florio on August 8, 2012, 11:05 AM EDT

AP

Josh Gordon hasn’t been in Cleveland for long. But he’s been there long enough to jump past Josh Cribbs on the depth chart.

The team’s first version of the position-by-position pecking order shows Gordon at No. 2, behind Greg Little and in front of Josh Cribbs.

The ascension of Gordon, a second-round pick in the supplemental draft, comes without the benefit of participating in the offseason program. And he didn’t even play football last year.

Elsewhere on the depth chart, running back Trent Richardson is the top tailback, not surprisingly. Behind him are, in this order: Montario Hardesty, Brandon Jackson, Chris Ogbonnaya, and Adonis Thomas.

As to Gordon, there’s a chance I could lose my not-so-friendly bet with Andrew “McLovin” Perloff of The Dan Patrick Show and SI.com that Jags receiver Justin Blackmon will have a better rookie season than Gordon. Then again, with McLovin promising to come to West Virginia and buy me dinner if I win, I’m still not sure why I’d want to.

I know its just Cribbs, but this is great because he hasn't played football in a year (only practiced) and is rising up the depth chart.

Not that it's that impressive that he's better than all our WRs (other than Little), but I think it's great that all we have heard is positives about this guy.

Also, we keep hearing that Mo Mass looks better now that he's 100%. If these 3 guys can stay healthy, I think we may have solved our WR issues. I feel pretty set considering the reliability of Norwood and Cribbs, along with the speedy wildcard of Benjamin, plus the three potential #1s in Little, MoMass and Gordon, Heckert may have outdone himself with this WR corps.

I know that's a pretty optimistic viewpoint, but if Gordon is as good as advertised, then we have everything we need at that position for a few years to come.

I hope they let Cribbs return kicks and maybe be the 4th or 5th receiver. Because if the receivers we have can't beat him out, then we have a problem, just like last year

I hope they let Cribbs return kicks and maybe be the 4th or 5th receiver. Because if the receivers we have can't beat him out, then we have a problem, just like last year

Returning kicks doesn't even mean anything anymore. They're practically all touchbacks. I do want him returning punts, though.

He's impressing until he blows out a knee next week or fails a drug test or some other shit. Like clockwork. Things were looking up and shit hits the fan. Again. I want to invent a time machine and kick myself in the nuts the moment I started pulling for the Browns. And just say "that feeling is on endless loop for the rest of your life. Just get used to it now."

He's impressing until he blows out a knee next week or fails a drug test or some other shit. Like clockwork. Things were looking up and shit hits the fan. Again. I want to invent a time machine and kick myself in the nuts the moment I started pulling for the Browns. And just say "that feeling is on endless loop for the rest of your life. Just get used to it now."

Is that not how it works with all players, especially rookies, that are "impressing." An injury or "some other shit" is always the thing to knock players on. You could say the same thing with Sheard, Jackson, Weedon, etc.... hell you can say that with Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Calvin Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Gordon catches attention with “brilliant” practices

Posted by Mike Florio on August 20, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Browns took a chance on receiver Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft. While we’re still 20 days away from finding out what he can really do in a real game, he’s looking in practice like a guy who has a chance to be pretty good.

Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository reports that Gordon has looked “brilliant” the last two days in practice.

Doerschuk points out that the superlative team reflect the Browns’ bell curve at the position.

“I don’t know if it was noticeable to you guys watching, but the last couple of days, he’s practicing faster,” coach Pat Shurmur said after practice on Monday regarding Gordon. “He’s catching the ball and running with it instead of catching and stopping.

“He’s learning how to do it better in practice. If we see it here, then it will translate to the game.”

That will serve only to help the Browns, who are waiting for someone/anyone to step up and be a starting-caliber wideout across from Greg Little.

Another high praising article on Gordon.

Sounds good.

It takes a rook a while for him to see he is just as good as the other guys on the field. Once they get to that point, you start to see them play loose.

That is why I hope Richardson gets at least a few carries in that last exhibition game. I don't want his first carry against another team to be in a real game.

Have been to a few practices and have disected the games "so far" and as Jim Brown would say he is ordinary. If this team would have had balls they would have picked up Alshon Jeffery in the draft...guaranteed rookie of the year. Do like Benjamin but he needs to put on at least 15 pounds of muscle to protect himself.

We have to let MoMass go just like Robiskie (having a great preseason in Jacksonville)

I think we will try to keep Carlton Mitchell or Cooper on the practice squad may be surprising but may let Norwood go.

Archived