THE BROWNS BOARD

Prometheus Review

Prometheus

20th Century Fox

R 124 min

I have a feeling that I'm going to be in a distinct minority here. As you know I always square away my opinions and grade I have for any film I see before I even look at any other critics’ ideas. Basically all I knew about PROMETHEUS was that it appeared to be a new science fiction extravaganza produced and directed by Ridley Scott.

That in itself was something of a minor red flag but he is certainly a talented and substantial member of the directing community so I exercised the benefit of the doubt. The previous evening I was having a beer with some friends and one of my buddies told me that he'd already seen it suggesting that if I enjoyed ALIEN, that I'd like this one. So today my two thoughts are these; one: Bill was correct and two: I hated ALIEN.

During the first half hour I was thinking that this may be going in a different and actually interesting direction. Possibly hoping is a better word. There was nothing new about the setup which included business folks, scientists and entrepreneurs on a mission to some God forsaken corner of the universe in search of something, well, universally cool or just some vague meaning of life rubbish. It was the latter.

As one may expect the effects were top drawer and as is often the case that was enough to hold my interest for a short while. I was also intrigued to find out what this astronomically important quest was leading up to. As soon as that somewhat disappointing epiphany is spelled out, the film settles in to be very same slop that made ALIEN such a drag. (For me anyway)

This is not just reminiscent of ALIEN it's nearly identical. A hand full of expendable crew members some slimy monsters and a tough, sweaty chick in her underwear.

And the space goon bursting from a human stomach? Check.

Here's and investing tip: next time you get here Scott is embarking on a new science fiction thriller take your money out of mutual funds and put it all into stock of whatever corporation manufactures movie slime.

You’ll be rich.

Boredom, noise embarrassingly stupid philosophizing and lots of slime all add up to another stinker from Scott.

D+

WSS

I think its meant to be a prequel of sorts to Alien so the same aliens are to be expected. Fwiw Rotten Tomatoes has Alien at 97% of 100% positive reviewed based on reviews by critics and fans. Blade Runner is at 92%, so he's not all that bad. Clearly not your taste.

However, I'm usually skeptical of old classics being modernized (with good reason...few have been good) I feel many directors depend much too heavily on effects, and the reputation of the original movie, and 9 out of 10 times turn out something inferior and often unwatchable so I have low expectations for this.

(Rotten tomatoes scores promethius at 72% and total recall at 31%.)

Yeah well there are a lot of times I don't agree with the public in general or with the respected mainstream critics.

For example: LOST IN TRANSLATION had the critics falling all over themselves praising Coppola's daughter.

Personally I thought it was 1 of the biggest pieces of s*** to come down the pike in decades.

I hated ALIENS ( And every subsequent rip off) too.

It's all subjective, my friend.

And it has even less to do with real life than politics.

;)

WSS

Prometheus

20th Century Fox

R 124 min

I have a feeling that I'm going to be in a distinct minority here. As you know I always square away my opinions and grade I have for any film I see before I even look at any other critics' ideas. Basically all I knew about PROMETHEUS was that it appeared to be a new science fiction extravaganza produced and directed by Ridley Scott.

That in itself was something of a minor red flag but he is certainly a talented and substantial member of the directing community so I exercised the benefit of the doubt. The previous evening I was having a beer with some friends and one of my buddies told me that he'd already seen it suggesting that if I enjoyed ALIEN, that I'd like this one. So today my two thoughts are these; one: Bill was correct and two: I hated ALIEN.

During the first half hour I was thinking that this may be going in a different and actually interesting direction. Possibly hoping is a better word. There was nothing new about the setup which included business folks, scientists and entrepreneurs on a mission to some God forsaken corner of the universe in search of something, well, universally cool or just some vague meaning of life rubbish. It was the latter.

As one may expect the effects were top drawer and as is often the case that was enough to hold my interest for a short while. I was also intrigued to find out what this astronomically important quest was leading up to. As soon as that somewhat disappointing epiphany is spelled out, the film settles in to be very same slop that made ALIEN such a drag. (For me anyway)

This is not just reminiscent of ALIEN it's nearly identical. A hand full of expendable crew members some slimy monsters and a tough, sweaty chick in her underwear.

And the space goon bursting from a human stomach? Check.

Here's and investing tip: next time you get here Scott is embarking on a new science fiction thriller take your money out of mutual funds and put it all into stock of whatever corporation manufactures movie slime.

You'll be rich.

Boredom, noise embarrassingly stupid philosophizing and lots of slime all add up to another stinker from Scott.

D+

WSS

I enjoyed the original Alien, but the sequel's got progressively worse. I might enjoy this movie.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived