THE BROWNS BOARD

Total Recall Review

Total Recall

Columbia

PG 13 118 min

OK it’s easy to carp about classic flicks being retreaded for today’s audiences. I get it. When there’s a particular actor or great performance that’s made the original an icon

I can’t imagine anyone doing Bogies Rick in CASABLANCA.

On the other hand TOTAL RECALL isn’t CASABLANCA.

It is, however, one of the vanguard films in the cyberpunk genre. It’s from a story by that genres most influential author Philip K Dick.

Cyberpunk is usually science fiction based around a dystopian futuristic society and technological parlor tricks in a crumbling overcrowded world.

Just think how smart a smart phone is and think of what it will be in 30 more years. Combine that with 30 more years of decay and population growth in the world’s major cities.

So basically TOTAL RECALL is a perfect film to get a facelift.

Sure Arnold Schwarzenegger as Quaid was charismatic but so is Colin Farrell, and Farrell is a little better actor.

But it’s not the acting chops that make or break Dick’s story it’s the action and the FX.

In the story Quaid is a bored factory worker who decided to take a little r and r in a place called Rekall. These people have a method of altering the mind to give the client a memory of any fantasy one might dream up.

Sounds like fun eh?

Unfortunately something goes amiss because Quaid has already undergone a mind alteration. He’s already a double agent embroiled in a sinister terrorist plot that could kill millions. Or is he?

We already know that it’ll never be clear. Remember the Firesign Theater’s line “Your brain may not be the boss?”

Well it isn’t and who cares. It’s an action flick with just enough intrigue to jeep it from getting dull.

I was surprised at how well it worked, since I’m usually bored by non-stop noise.

The effects are state of the art and I liked the BLADE RUNNER look of the city. You might also see a little dash of STAR WARS when they march out the cyber army.

I do wonder why they decided to ask Farrell to dum his accent in favor of general American but it’s not a big deal.

It’s fun from the get go and every bit as good as the original FWIW.

B

WSS

EMAIL WESTSIDESTEVE@AOL.COM

Archived