THE BROWNS BOARD

Camby? Are the Cavs really interested?

LCDawgFan13

I just happened to see a couple rumors while looking at a few other sites. They all stated that the Cavs are looking into a possible deal with the Clippers for Camby. The "deal" would include Wally and a conditional 1st rounder. Has anyone else heard anything of this?

I think it would be a decent move. What do you all think?

I also read this somewhere. They're handcuffed with Wally, they almost need to trade him. I think he's making 13 mil this year, which is virtually the same as LeBron's 14 mil. Not crazy about giving up a first-rounder, though. If we got Camby, wouldn't we almost be overloaded?

Z and Camby would both want to start. Ben would also. Can't take any minutes away from Andy, and Hickson is just coming into his own.

It'd be the deepest team in the NBA.

On paper that would be an incredible trade. I can't see it happening though.

For one, I can't see the Clippers doing it for less than Wally and a first round pick (or two). We've blown enough draft picks the past few years, it's time we start using them again. Hickson's a nice start, but I still get pretty sick thinking of our first rounders being used for Luke Jackson, Jiri Welsch, Shannon Brown, Sasha Pavlovic, etc. The Clippers wouldn't benefit a whole lot from just a salary dump for this summer.

Trading the 8th or 9th guy in our rotation for a starter is also pretty risky. Would Ben accept a move to the bench? Varejao would go back to being pretty strictly a hustle guy as our 4th big man. And it would obviously cut into Hickson's playing time.

And even though Camby is a beast with rebounds and blocks, I'm not sure he would really fill a hole for us. He's better offensively than Varejao and Ben, but not by much.

I'd rather see us go after a lower risk. A package deal I've been thinking of is Mike Miller and Craig Smith or Ryan Gomes from Minnesota. Miller is a former 6th man of the year who could be a #1 scoring option on the wing on our second unit. Smith or Gomes would give us more depth in the front court and a pretty good scoring touch in the Leon Powe mold. Fills a couple (small) holes while hopefully not affecting our league-best chemistry.

That said, Camby is a GREAT player and if that trade actually goes through, you won't see me complaining.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ATENEARS

Whatever happened to this trade idea for Camby?

After watching the Cavs get their ass handed to them on recent road trips to Orlando & LA, it was obvious that we need much more than just Z back in the line-up to match up well withy these two leading teams.

Z & Camby would be huge, with Ben Wallace coming in to put the wear on teams. Not sure what ya do with Andy.

Guest Masters

Camby would be a waste of space. CLE issues against LA were about not having West on the perimiter defending and not having Z. It isn't like Gasol is tough inside and Bynum would have had to come out of the paint on D if Z was in, which would tire him.

Against ORL, that's just Howard. Camby ain't gonna stop Howard and neither is Z. But not having Z or West hurts against a team like ORL who can go inside out. Having Camby is the same as having Wallace. No O and all D. Doing that means off the bench CLE would still only have 4 guys on the floor that an score.

Don't see it happening...rumor is that Ferry likes the team chemistry right now and doesn't want to mess w/it and I don't blame him. Against the Lakers, we were w/o Z and West and they did have Bynum...which I hate to say this about a guy that is injured, but it's a good thing for the rest of the teams vying for the championship cuz this guy was really starting to come into his own. It's really starting to become evident what the Lakers saw when they drafted this guy at the age of 17. Working out w/Kareem everyday has got to be the greatest possible thing for someone in his situation and this was starting to become clearer w/that little jump hook that was starting to become unstoppable. Add in West and Z and I think that you're looking at a whole new ball game, huge swing in the team talent.

The most important thing for us right now isn't to worry about tinkering w/the roster, rather about jelling and getting home court advantage. We already made our big move getting Mo. Unreal move by Ferry and I think that the Cavs can definitely win it with who we already have. Not saying that I don't think Camby is a good player, but we already have his type on our team. Right now if we had Camby and didn't have Wally, w/Delonte out, we would be talking about what shooter can we go out and get and the answer would proly be Wally! We have a squad that is deep enough now that Lebron can take this team and win it all...this team is sooooooo much better than the team that made it to finals a couple seasons ago, I just can't justify making any moves right now, even to acquire Camby.

Guest Masters

Shep, glad to see you are coming around on the Wally love and that the Cavs should not trade him. If CLE could get Camby for Wallace, I would be on board for that.

Archived