THE BROWNS BOARD

2012 Browns - What's With All The Good News?

Frenchie

If I read one more post on this board about not paying attention to pre-season games, I'll scream! I know, Detroit, 4-0 then 0-16 or whatever. However, before these pre-season games, all we heard, read and saw was negative. Too many rookies, bottom of power rankings, new owner (good-bye everyone, we're starting over!), lose one starting linebacker to a scandal, another to an injury, and a suspension to Hayden and an injury to Patterson, and our D-Line injuries and Richardson injury and Jackson injury ... enough already!!

OK, but our scrubs beat the Detroit scrubs, small consolation given that Weeden played poorly, Mass had aother concussion (I think), Swartz looked like a bust and Gordon dropped everything in sight. So we go into Green Bay and we expect to see a total disaster. Game starts, fumble! Touch down, oh-boy. The TD should have been one play earlier and Hayden should have had an interception on the real touch-down, but no matter, this is going to be a blow-out.

But ever since we received the following kick-off, it's been nothing but good news. We beat the Packers (on the scoreboard anyway), Weedon improves, and all QB's contribute in the win. Both RB's demonstrate some skill and we hear that Richardson is on his way back from minor surgery. The o-line is starting to gel and could become powerful at blocking and pushing the line of scrimmage. Cameron looks like a stud TE, and rookie WR's are showing progress (Gordon has had a spectacular week in practice). But that pales by comparison to the defensive side of the team. Rookie Linebackers and O-line are showing their mettle and taking full advantage of the additional playing time. We see a pass rush, interceptions, stopping the run and some talk about one of the better secondary group we've seen in a while.

How has everything suddenly started to swing in a positive direction? Did we hit rock bottom and bounce? Is this a mirage? I'm not talking about a winning team, I'm just talking about "good news". Some hope. Some indication that we're building something here and that it is starting to take shape. Am I the only one suddenly noticing that people/fans/media are starting to take a second look?

I want your honest opinion on this - for the Browns, what's on the way up, down, or delusional?

I want your honest opinion on this - for the Browns, what's on the way up, down, or delusional?

On the way up for sure, my disclaimer is the LBs & Shurmer. If both of those perform well, we can start winning.

On the way up for sure, my disclaimer is the LBs & Shurmer. If both of those perform well, we can start winning.

Shurmer is looking less "lost" than in past games? Better play calling and clock management, too. But I still think he has a long way to go and will always question Holmgren's decision to put him into the HC Role at a critical point in our development.

LB's are a big question mark for sure. We need to find one in FA next year and another one high in the draft. I also question our guards but let's see how they do over the course of the season.

I think what we are honestly seeing here has a lot to do with the fact that the entire FO is on the same page as far as scheme and execution. Everyone from the top down minus Holmgren and Shurmer, has experience at their position on the coaching tree. And Holmgren has the experience to help where needed. This leaves Shurmer in a position to have to learn fast and I personally think he's starting to get it. Hopefully we see stability and continuance in our staff giving the team a real shot at becoming a force once again...

Coaches Cromwell and Childress bring a ton of experience that hopefully translates into a more

fluid offense to suit the Browns potential playmakers Weed, TR, and whoever steps up to become

stud receiver. Although Shu will still be calling the plays, I gotta believe these new additions

will reduce some of the pressure he not very successfully endured last season.

I think the most exciting thing at this part is that T Rich WILL be back for week 1 even though his first few weeks will be as part of a RB committee. I am fine with that because I am perfectly ok with what Hardesty has shown me running wise during the preseason. I liked the solid progression we have seen out of all the rookies that have had playing time from game 1 to game 2 (minus of course T Rich and Acho who I haven't heard anything about). That list literally includes about 4 UDFA. Weeden, Schwartz, Gordon, Hughes, JLJ, Winn, Wade, Smelley, Cooper, Fort, Robertson, and Sims. Robertson and Sims!? I had an idea that Cooper and Fort would show something, but two scrub practice squad guys we picked up at the end of the season last year are making plays? WTF! Both Fort and Robertson are on pase to steal LB spots from the UDFA guys from last year ie Spears, and Sims is pushing to knock Young off the team. Ya even Ventrone has apparently turned into a competent back up safety.

With the coaching staff we have, these guys should be getting better every day. We still just have to be patient b/c they have only been coaching together for one full season - and really only one offseason. We have to pray that Haslam doesn't blow up this group of coaches b/c if we can have some continuity here, we have one of the best overall coaching staffs I've ever seen, and certainly the best the Browns have had since '99. Let them continue to develop chemistry and we'll see it in the W column. But, I think we're going up right now.

I believe we are heading in the right Direction from what Ive seen so far Shurmar is Making Progress I am starting to like His calls so far But Only time will tell,the Defense is PLAYING WELL as they have the last few years I am very Excited about this team And when T-Rich comes back The bowling ball will get rolling

I watched the Eagles game for the second time. You know if the Eagles arenot given that last TD (I call it questionable and would have resulted in a turnover) and the Browns score on the interception (questionable penalty called) then the game is a tie. I just think it was one of those games - everything seemed to go against us.

But the potential of Weedon is becoming obvious and McCoy is playing much better than last year. Why can't we be happy and just keep the both of them?

The OL line is a concern, as are the LB's. Also Brown and Hardesty had terrible games. But I expect Patterson and TRich to start, so that should be better. I can see that the Browns need at least another draft to address their weaknesses. The rest will just be experience and coaching. I still see a team starting to come together. The playmakers are there on offence now. And the D-line and secondary are sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVKVG_piPo

Cleveland is a Great Football City. I think that we are returning to greatness, every year we seem to get closer. I think that Trent Richardson will seal the deal. The moment he steps on the field all the doubters will disappear.

Archived