THE BROWNS BOARD

Available QB's

WPB Dawg Fan

Here is an updated list of the QB's on the open market:

Kurt Warner - He will be resigned, or franchise tagged at the very least.

Matt Cassel - Looks like NE is doing the franchise tag. That takes him off the market for now. I don't see him going anywhere until they know how Brady is doing...and that won't happen until pre-season. May as well count him OFF the market.

Jeff Garcia - Tampa Bay is in no position to let Garcia get away. They were NOT winning with Garcia out...and Garcia is not going to cost THAT much to keep. He won't be hitting the market.

Rex Grossman - He has finally become what most thought he was...a career backup. He actually might be a good pickup for a lot of teams with a solid top QB.

Kyle Boller - Also a career backup. Nobody is going to waste much on him.

Charlie Batch - He is going into his 12th season and coming off injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see him not get any interest until after the season starts.

J.P.Losman - Another career backup as of now. He has no arm strength, and has looked terrible in backup to Edwards. However, he is young enough (will be 28) and has starting experience. He will get looks, but again, no starting slots will be offered.

Patrick Ramsay - He was a late pickup last time...he will be a late pickup this time. Roster filler.

Other NON-FA QB's discussed:

Matt Leinart - Not going anywhere. He signed a 6yr deal in 2006 and won't be a FA until 2012. He is only $1.1m in 2009, and $2.485m in 2010. That means they can easily afford BOTH him and Warner.

Donovan McNabb - Philly not only made the playoffs, but are in the running for the NFC Title...and maybe the SB. He is now officially off the market.

Vince Young - Vince may be shopped, but after his off the field problems...and his run first style...I don't see him getting much attention.

Kerry Collins - He will get a contract in Tennessee. He led that team, and VY is still a question mark at best.

QB's in the Draft:

Sam Bradford pulled out of the draft.

Matt Stafford - Likely #1 to Detroit

Mark Sanchez - Improved his stock this year...but still doesn't fit the 'successful QB' model many of us have quoted here. He has only 22 total games (much less starts) and basically is a one year wonder...not a long term starter.

That is why I see DA pulling in as much as a 2nd (more likely a 3rd). He will be taken behind the top 2 draft QB's (by a team not likely to get one of them) and I really don't see anyone else that has his UPSIDE on the FA market (that will actually hit).

Guest Aloysius
Jeff Garcia - Tampa Bay is in no position to let Garcia get away. They were NOT winning with Garcia out...and Garcia is not going to cost THAT much to keep. He won't be hitting the market.

Garcia and Gruden hate each other. Those two need a divorce, and they'll probably get one this offseason. I think Garcia ends up in Minnesota.

Byron Leftwich's another name to bring up. He may not be anyone's first choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him a shot.

Thanks for compiling that list.

The FA's are truly garbage. If keeping DA wouldn't cause a rift in the locker room (i.e., there was no QB controversy and he accepted the role as a clear backup), besides the McNabbs and Cassels we're obviously not in the market for, he's really the best option. He has value...

Garcia and Gruden hate each other. Those two need a divorce, and they'll probably get one this offseason. I think Garcia ends up in Minnesota.

Byron Leftwich's another name to bring up. He may not be anyone's first choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him a shot.

I had forgotten about Leftwich. He may be headed for the Bears per this quote:

Asked if he'd be interested in playing for the Bears in 2009 Sunday, Steelers backup QB Byron Leftwich said "tell them to look me up."

"I'm a fan of Lovie Smith," added the impending free agent. "I thought that was where I was going to go in the beginning." Leftwich to Chicago makes too much sense. GM Jerry Angelo considers upgrading at QB his top offseason priority and Byron has the arm to throw through strong winds at Soldier Field.

Could be interesting. As for Garcia..I am not sure if Minnesota is in a RENTAL mode. They have a good nucleus...and getting "the guy" may be of more importance to them.

there's an option if we don't keep DA: rex grossman. they're almost the same player, but grossman will come cheaper (pending resolution of DA's cap situation) and is more mobile. plus, he has a bit more touch on his short passes.

far from a great option, but good if it can save us cap space.

there's an option if we don't keep DA: rex grossman. they're almost the same player, but grossman will come cheaper (pending resolution of DA's cap situation) and is more mobile. plus, he has a bit more touch on his short passes.

far from a great option, but good if it can save us cap space.

We should just offer chicago DA for RG straight up.

That was kinda my point with the "Keep DA on the roster" thread.

Point taken, but there comes a point where what we'd receive in return outweighs his worth as a backup.

To me, that might very well be a 3rd-rounder.

Point taken, but there comes a point where what we'd receive in return outweighs his worth as a backup.

Let's just remember that DA's 2010 contract is over $7M...which is why keeping him on this team NOT worth it.

He will NOT restructure to be a backup, but he might for a chance to start elsewhere.

Guest Aloysius
Could be interesting. As for Garcia..I am not sure if Minnesota is in a RENTAL mode. They have a good nucleus...and getting "the guy" may be of more importance to them.

Could be. I guess it depends on how much job security Brad Childress thinks he has. If he's at all worried, signing a veteran QB who's had success running the same offense in Philly would be a smart move.

Could be. I guess it depends on how much job security Brad Childress thinks he has. If he's at all worried, signing a veteran QB who's had success running the same offense in Philly would be a smart move.

Aloy, I heard from someone in Minnesota that the Vikings may attempt to trade for Mark Bulger

I wouldn't be so 100% sure about McNabb staying in Philly. If he ends up choking in another big game, which he seems to do sometimes, the heat will drop on him again. And he still harbors feelings about that whole benching situation. Unless they win the Superbowl, which cures everything.

I guess it really has no bearing on the Browns, unless they end up interested in a trade for DA.

• 2 weeks later...
Garcia and TB are all but divorced. That marriage is dead.

Losman lacks arm strength? That I'd never heard. I think he'll gain some popularity as the offseason grows longer, much like Anderson.

I'm not as convinced as you about Leinart, John, but on the other hand... you could be dead on. If Warner signs a one-year deal? Sure, Leinart waits. But if he signs for two or three, Leinart and Condon (is that right?) will burn the village.

Well, looks like Garcia is back in the running in TB....with Chuckie out of there. Besides, if Garcia DOES move on...that means TB is likely in the running for a new QB.

Back to comments about McNabb and Philly, he DIDN'T choke. In fact, he brought them all the way back and took the lead...but the defense couldn't hold it. Go figure. Thing is, he is likely going to require 2 1sts to get him anyway.

New rumors out of Chicago (homerism at it's best) are saying Warner is going to test the market and come to Chicago. I guess Warner's agent is talking it up. Well, what else would he be doing when he needs to get his guy a great contract. I for one doubt serioulsy that Warner walks after taking AZ to the promised land. As for Leinart...Warner will likely get a 2 yr contract...and Leinart is under contract until 2012...so he likely doesn't go anywhere THIS year (next year maybe, but I think he gets worked in a bit more next year and takes over in 2011.

I am more and more convinced we will get at least a 2nd rounder for DA.

Guest Masters
Back to comments about McNabb and Philly, he DIDN'T choke. In fact, he brought them all the way back and took the lead...but the defense couldn't hold it. Go figure. Thing is, he is likely going to require 2 1sts to get him anyway.

Sorry, but McNabb choked. He flat out missed open receivers all day long, even when he wasn't under pressure. That's McNabb in a nut shell when it gets to big games. He suddenly becomes DA.

Sorry, but McNabb choked. He flat out missed open receivers all day long, even when he wasn't under pressure. That's McNabb in a nut shell when it gets to big games. He suddenly becomes DA.

28/47 375yds, 3 TD, 1 INT

and that with only 66 yds rushing from his RB's (he got 31 himself).

That's 60% completions....a 3-1 TD/INT ratio....and he accounted for 388 (-18 for sacks) of 454 total yards for the Eagles.

Doesn't sound much like a choke job to me. And if DA was still putting up numbers like that he would still be the starting QB in Cleveland.

Guest Masters
28/47 375yds, 3 TD, 1 INT

and that with only 66 yds rushing from his RB's (he got 31 himself).

That's 60% completions....a 3-1 TD/INT ratio....and he accounted for 388 (-18 for sacks) of 454 total yards for the Eagles.

Doesn't sound much like a choke job to me. And if DA was still putting up numbers like that he would still be the starting QB in Cleveland.

When you look at the box score, it looks good. When you watched the game, it was bad. Clutch QBs don't flat out miss open guys the way McNabb did several times in that game. They were misses that if a good throw is made, change that game with out a doubt.

As just one examle, with over 2 minutes left in the 4th:

1st-10, ARI47 2:09 D. McNabb incomplete pass to the left

2nd-10, ARI47 2:06 D. McNabb incomplete pass down the middle

3rd-10, ARI47 2:01 D. McNabb incomplete pass to the left

4th-10, ARI47 1:51 D. McNabb incomplete pass to the right

They were all just bad passes.

Update on the Warner/Leinart discussion:

Assumption is, Warner will return to Cardinals

Three days after stellar Super Bowl XLIII, one of the most sought-after question in the NFL is, "Does Kurt Warner return to the Arizona Cardinals next season or does he retire?"

The answer is ... Yes!

Warner said Tuesday when he and the Cardinals cleaned out their lockers at their Tempe training facility and said their goodbyes that he will let everyone know his answer shortly.

But after everything that's been said, everything that's been intimated publicly and privately by everyone involved, the general perception in and around the Cardinals' organization seems crystal clear

He will be back. And he likely will sign a new, two-year contract extension - possibly in the neighborhood of $18-20 million - to try and lead this once-woebegone franchise right back into glorious history.

Give it two weeks, three weeks tops.

That was the word circulating through the Warner camp before and following the Cardinals' 27-23 loss to the Steelers in Tampa. And unless management completely drops the ball and short-changes the quarterback at the negotiating table, it's appears to be a done deal.

Still, Warner would make no such public assumptions. He did say on Tuesday he wants to finish his career with the Cardinals.

As I had thought, Warner is likely to do a 2yr deal (through 2010)...that leaves Leinart with 2011 as the starter auditioning to get a max contract...or getting a contract extension before then if he takes over as starter.

The fact still remains that Leinart only makes $2.485M in 2010 ($1.11M in 2009) so he is a very affordable backup to Warner...and will continue to develop ala Rodgers in GB. It is actually the PERFECT set up for AZ.

I highly doubt EITHER will be available this year.

Here is another updated on the FA QB situation:

GARCIA READS WRITING ON THE WALL IN TAMPA

Posted by Josh Alper on February 10, 2009, 11:49 a.m.

When the Buccaneers re-signed Luke McCown on Monday, the deal came with assurances that he would be given a chance to compete for the starting job. It doesn’t sound like Jeff Garcia plans on sticking around for the competition.

“It looks like they have decided to go in another direction with the signing of Luke,” Garcia said. “We’ll see what happens in the next couple of weeks but it seems very unlikely that I will get an offer.”

That would leave Brian Griese and Josh Johnson as quarterbacks on the Bucs roster, and give Garcia a chance to pursue starting opportunities elsewhere. Depending on how things shake out on other teams, those options could include the Bears, Dolphins, Jets, Lions, Panthers and Vikings.

Sounds to me that TB has just officially put themselves in the market for a starting QB...unless you think that Luke McCown/Brian Griese/Josh Johnson equals a quality professional QB position.

Add into this situation the fact that they have a new GM, HC, and new OC. Sounds to me as if they may be looking at a young QB with upside...TB picks 19th so not likely that they have any chance at one of the top 2 QB's in the draft....and at 39, Garcia isn't likely to be a HUGE commodity.

Interesting twist going on in Arizona. They just fired their QB Coach.

He was there for the last 2yrs...which are the 2yrs that Leinart has been riding the pines and Warner has been the defacto starter.

Makes you wonder if they are looking to bring somebody in that will have a better relationship (admittedly rocky early on) with Leinart in an effort to groom him to take over the club in a year or two (or immediately).

If the Browns can afford DA's salary they will not cut him imho. If DA's contract prevents them from signing someone else who is key to success then they will consider it.

Magenius has never coached DA and there is the potential for greatness if he can learn to put a touch on short passes. And, how many backups QBs are available who are better than DA? How many of those backup QBs could last the entire season if Brady goes down early?

Maybe DA works hard in the off season, but if I were him I would hire some kids to throw the ball to on short routes, and I would spend at least one hour per day doing this. If he knocks them over then he threw it too hard.

If the Browns can afford DA's salary they will not cut him imho. If DA's contract prevents them from signing someone else who is key to success then they will consider it.

Magenius has never coached DA and there is the potential for greatness if he can learn to put a touch on short passes. And, how many backups QBs are available who are better than DA? How many of those backup QBs could last the entire season if Brady goes down early?

Maybe DA works hard in the off season, but if I were him I would hire some kids to throw the ball to on short routes, and I would spend at least one hour per day doing this. If he knocks them over then he threw it too hard.

If no one has been able to teach him to put touch on short passes by now, who the hell do you think is going to?

The truth is THIS is the only year we CAN get rid of him for any kind of value.

His contract balloons to over $7M in 2010...and he is due ANOTHER $2M roster bonus...and those numbers are going to be impossible to move unless he is the starter...in which case we will not move him.

Here is what Lummy and his ilk have trouble understanding:

Brady Quinn's contract is TOTALLY affordable...whether he starts or not.

DA's contract is HUGE if he is the backup...but not that bad if he is the starter.

Now, here is where the problem sets in....with Quinn we have him under contract through 2011....DA is under contract through 2010.

So, if we trade Quinn and leave DA as the starter...he is going to cost us FAR MORE against the cap for the next 2 years...and then will be an UFA at the end of 2010. In other words...we will be in a position that we end up with NEITHER QB...and have to start all over again by drafting one.

However, if we dedicate to BQ now...we have him for 2 years to make sure he is the real deal BEFORE we have to make a long term commitment to him and give him big time starter money. And in the meantime...the Browns benefit from the lower cap hit and the picks we can get for DA.

See...it is logical.

Looking more and more like McNabb is off the market...

MCNABB HOPING TO STRIKE A DEAL

Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 11, 2009, 2:00 p.m.

It’s looking more and more like quarterback Donovan McNabb is simply biding his time and waiting to cement his contractual status with the Philadelphia Eagles as he awaits a pivotal meeting with team management, according to the Philadelphia Daily News.

In the opinion of Daily News beat writer Les Bowen, the mere fact that McNabb is hanging out in Philadelphia attending basketball games one month before the start of the Eagles’ offseason program is a strong hint to what’s brewing.

“He’s still here because that much-anticipated sitdown with the Eagles’ brass is going to happen, either this week or next week,” Bowen writes. “It almost certainly will take place before the NFL Scouting Combine kicks off Feb. 18 in Indianapolis.”

McNabb’s agent, Fletcher Smith, chimed in: “I would hope so.”

Apparently, McNabb is hoping for what Yahoo! Sports’ Jason Cole has coined the phrase a “financial apology” for being benched late in the season against the Baltimore Ravens.

“An “apology” that raises the cap consequences for cutting or trading McNabb to a level that ensures the Kevin Kolb Era will be pushed back a few more years, if not permanently forestalled (Kolb is only under contract to the Eagles for two more seasons),” Bowen writes. “A new McNabb deal — which sources close to the situation have told your Eagletarian the team is prepared to discuss — would affect the Eagles’ 2009 salary cap situation (it would open up more room, by amortizing guaranteed money over several seasons).

“The Birds don’t need to reach agreement with McNabb by Feb. 27, but they probably want to have some sense of whether he is going to count something like $10.3 million against the cap, which is what’s on the books right now, or whether the figure is likely to be much less. Of course, if the Eagles don’t like what McNabb has in mind, they can just tell him he’s under contract and that’s that. If he wants to assure his role as the starter, all he needs to do is outplay Kolb in training camp and perform consistently well once the season starts.”

In summation, McNabb seems pretty committed to staying with the Eagles. It’s just a matter of how his financial expectations fit in with the Eagles’ plans.

The fact that Kolb has yet to prove himself merely adds to the growing prospects for the status quo in Philadelphia remaining the same under center for at least another season, or perhaps longer.

• 1 month later...

Further Updates and ideas

Kurt Warner - He will be resigned, or franchise tagged at the very least.He WAS resigned, 2yrs....but for those who think he CAN'T be replaced next year...read the contract. It has a $15M bonus and $4M this year....meaning he is only due $4M NEXT YEAR...making Leinart an option in 2010

Matt Cassel - Looks like NE is doing the franchise tag. That takes him off the market for now. I don't see him going anywhere until they know how Brady is doing...and that won't happen until pre-season. May as well count him OFF the market.Franchised, then traded to KC

Jeff Garcia - Tampa Bay is in no position to let Garcia get away. They were NOT winning with Garcia out...and Garcia is not going to cost THAT much to keep. He won't be hitting the market.Boy was I wrong on this...he is out there and available...but no takers yet

Rex Grossman - He has finally become what most thought he was...a career backup. He actually might be a good pickup for a lot of teams with a solid top QB.looks to be the case as no real takers lining up for him

Kyle Boller - Also a career backup. Nobody is going to waste much on him.has anyone even mentioned him?

Charlie Batch - He is going into his 12th season and coming off injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see him not get any interest until after the season starts.see Kyle Boller

J.P.Losman - Another career backup as of now. He has no arm strength, and has looked terrible in backup to Edwards. However, he is young enough (will be 28) and has starting experience. He will get looks, but again, no starting slots will be offered.again, no rumors even

Patrick Ramsay - He was a late pickup last time...he will be a late pickup this time. Roster filler.

Other NON-FA QB's discussed:

Matt Leinart - Not going anywhere. He signed a 6yr deal in 2006 and won't be a FA until 2012. He is only $1.1m in 2009, and $2.485m in 2010. That means they can easily afford BOTH him and Warner.go up and look at my comments on Warner's contract. Leinart is still a cheap and expereinced backup with huge upside....so why trade that away when you have him locked for 2 more years and could move him into the starting lineup as soon as next year....and would end up paying his replacement at least double what you are paying now...and wasting a 1st round draft pick.

Donovan McNabb - Philly not only made the playoffs, but are in the running for the NFC Title...and maybe the SB. He is now officially off the market.bingo

Vince Young - Vince may be shopped, but after his off the field problems...and his run first style...I don't see him getting much attention.not going anywhere

Kerry Collins - He will get a contract in Tennessee. He led that team, and VY is still a question mark at best.got the contract

QB's in the Draft:

Sam Bradford pulled out of the draft.

Matt Stafford - Likely #1 to Detroitnot sold on Detroit taking him. They may go LT Smith

Mark Sanchez - Improved his stock this year...but still doesn't fit the 'successful QB' model many of us have quoted here. He has only 22 total games (much less starts) and basically is a one year wonder...not a long term starter.still think this....but also think he may fall pretty far...especially if Detroit goes with LT at #1

That is why I see DA pulling in as much as a 2nd (more likely a 3rd). He will be taken behind the top 2 draft QB's (by a team not likely to get one of them) and I really don't see anyone else that has his UPSIDE on the FA market (that will actually hit).still thinking this is the case...but even moreso. I think that DA's value is actually RISING as we get closer to the draft.

This is all very fluid...but right now there are NO QB's available outside of the draft that have the value that EITHER of our QB's represent.

Seriously, I am not sure where our team is going to go. They are in MAJOR REBUILD and may decide the pieces they can get for Quinn is worth more than his potential...or they may decide both are too valuable to let go right now..but I still believe we end up trading one of them to fill in a few more spots on the roster. My gut says that Daboll is going to run a NE style offense (rumors say so too) and that because of the Quinn may have an advantage. However, a team not ready to win now may find that not to matter as much as we do.

Another question that rises up ... How many teams are looking for a QB who can start as opposed to a Backup ? Also will Jay Cutler be traded and how will that influence the whole scenario.

Honestly, I don't see Cutler getting traded. I think the cap hit on his 6yr, $47M contract would hurt...and I also think that unless the Broncos get a 'legit' starter in return the new FO is going to look like crap.

Of the QB's available via trade, the ONLY real options are DA, BQ and Leinart. Leinart has a legit shot at starting next year for the Cards...and they would need to replace him no later than next year with a 1st rounder....and they could ONLY be a middle man in this game anyway...so I don't see that happening.

With the Browns...the EXACT reasons they say we are in it are the EXACT reasons we are NOT in it. They point to the fact that McDaniels will run the NE offense as a reason they would want BQ. The trouble is, Daboll is planning on running the EXACT SAME OFFENSE. So, if BQ fits Denvers offense better than DA would...then BQ would fit Clevelands offense better than DA.

As for teams looking for starters:

Detroit (I still think they go LT at #1)

NY Jets (they loved Favre...maybe they could go for DA)

Minnesota (not buying that they LOVE Jackson)

Chicago (again...come on)

Carolina (Delhomme starts for NOW...but what about next year)

Tampa Bay (Culpepper? Really?)

San Francisco

St.Louis (Bulger has been sliding due to injuries)

Funny thing is...having Cutler in the mix may actually HELP the Browns trade one of the QB's. It could potentially get some of the latter mentioned teams involved instead of biding their time. It will also force them to utilize the Browns QB's in order to facilitate it. I still think that this scenario necessitates BQ in the trade (DA is a very poor mans Cutler)....but with the right compensation it may be worth the effort.

Archived