THE BROWNS BOARD

One that got away, Part Deux.

Guest mz.

Guest Aloysius
Do ya think Schwartz wishes Millen never traded Rogers? He'd already have his new Haynesworth...

I think Detroit has a good deal of cap space; IIRC, they have 24 players signed to play for less than $1M in '09, and their free cap space could end up being about $30M.

If he wants to make that defense much better real fast, signing Haynesworth wouldn't be a bad move. With him onboard, I could see guys like Cory Redding and Cliff Avril (4 sacks in the last 6 gamse of '08) flourishing.

But the key will be what they do in this year's draft. With the additional 1st and 3rd from Dallas, they could have the type of draft that makes the Lions a football team a competitive squad.

Walter's mock has the Lions adding LB Brian Cushing, CB Alphonso Smith, and DT Terrance Taylor to their defense. If they get those guys & Haynesworth, their defense could end up being pretty sick.

Guest Aloysius

from PFT:

REPORT: SCHWARTZ WANTS BATES OR SCHOTTENHEIMER TO RUN OFFENSE

Posted by Mike Florio on January 15, 2009, 11:44 p.m. EST

Now that Jim Schwartz is the new coach of the Detroit Lions, he’ll have to lure assistant coaches to a franchise that has won one playoff game since Dwight D. Eisenhower was running the country.

At the top of his list on the offensive side of the ball, per Chris Mortensen of ESPN, are Broncos quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates and Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Mort reports that Bates signed a three-year extension with the Broncos after coach Mike Shanahan was fired. However, the Broncos recently gave Bates permission to interview with the Raiders for a position on the team’s coaching staff; if the Broncos would let Bates jump to their arch-rivals in Oakland, the Broncos surely would let Bates go to Detroit.

As to Schottenheimer, Mort says that the holdover from Eric Mangini’s staff might ask out of his contract, if he isn’t hired to be Mangini’s replacement. But Mortensen also says that the Jets prefer to keep the offensive staff in place, if the team eventually hires Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan or Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

Bates would be an excellent hire.

A hot DC turned head coach... we'll see.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Hot" Shep, but Schwartz isn't a "Johnny come lately" guy. He's been there doing a great job for the Titans for 8 years......I think because he has endured and excelled, his time had finally come for someone to give him a shot....I think it's been overdue for a couple of years.

He's an interesting guy to read about. Brilliant guy. Georgetown grad. A guy that loves breaking things down mathematically.

McDaniels is more of what I would call a 'Hot' guy. I think he's only been the OC for the Pats for two or three seasons.

But we know how that goes....If you are part of the Pats organization that gives you instant credibility.

Guest Aloysius

PFW's got a great writeup on Schwartz.

Some highlights:

Schwartz was considered a rising star in the coaching ranks a few years back but also too young at the time. But with the league going more toward younger head coaches — Josh McDaniels, Lane Kiffin and Eric Mangini (twice) all are younger — Schwartz’s name re-emerged in the past two years. Of course, it hasn’t hurt that he has rebuilt a Titans defense that was ravaged by age, injury and free-agent defections but now is among the best in the league.

What kind of scheme does Schwartz run? Whatever he needs to. The past two seasons, with good depth, he has been able to vary his schemes dramatically from game to game with specific defenses for each type of opponent. The Titans are a base 4-3 defense, and though they believe in pressuring the quarterback, they do not blitz all that often. Don’t confuse what they do with Rod Marinelli’s preferred Tampa-2 scheme, though. The Titans have played a lot of press-man coverage when they can but also will drop into cover-2, cover-3, even cover-6 zones when needed.

[...]

But don’t think he can’t assist in other areas, too. He once told PFW that he has learned a lot of about offensive tendencies based on his voluminous statistical analysis — it’s in his blood; he was an economics major at Georgetown — and has made copious notes about his own philosophies on that side of the ball. And Schwartz has a background in scouting, having spent three years with the Browns under Ozzie Newsome and Mike Lombardi as a pro scout before going back into coaching after Belichick left Cleveland and the team moved to Baltimore.

I think schwartz is great for detroit i like mangini better for the browns he has the credentials and intangables this broken org needs to begin setting roots,rulez and disciplinez that we all grew to love when the browns were..ehh..hmmm..winners?...after we have a real foundation we can think coordinator HCs again..;)

PFW's got a great writeup on Schwartz.

Some highlights:

One of the things that surprised me was his study concerning plays such as 3rd and 3 yards to go. OC's in the NFL has made this nearly an automatic passing down. I forget all the numbers he came up with but his study actually showed that a run in this situation was many times more successful than attempting a pass.....Schwarts didn't understand why the NFL's OC's are in love with the pass in this situation.

He is a real student of the game. I just hope Detroit gives him plenty of time to turn the ship around. I think he can do it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aloysius

Jim Schwartz is very smart:

Is a strong-side linebacker worth the No. 1 pick in the draft? Not if he has to be replaced by a nickel back in passing situations.

"Any linebacker that you're going to draft early, part of that requirement's probably going to be that he has to be on the field for three downs," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. "You don't want a high draft pick that you're afraid to have on the field for third down."

But Schwartz said he looked at Curry before coming to Indianapolis and thinks Curry is unique -- big, strong, athletic and able to fit in a lot of places.

"He played (on the strong side), but it was interesting at Wake, he played an on-the-ball (strong-side) linebacker, which not many people play anymore," Schwartz said. "You have to be really strong to be able to do that. ...

"But they put him out in space, almost like a nickel back. Those are two almost sort of mutually exclusive skill sets. The fact that they had trusted him to do both, that spoke a lot about him."

Or Perhaps,

"The One We Don't Really Care about, That You Do"

More appropriate :rolleyes:

Do you know anything about him?

I think if people took the time to really get to know who he is they'd care about him a lot more. He's a brilliant guy who is also very media savy. He's going to be fun to watch. I think Detroit is finally getting it right.

A true student of the game he studies everything that can be studied when it comes to situations.

He sure was my first choice. Not a 'Johnny come lately' like McDaniels....I'm a lot higher on Schwartz than a guy like Mangini who was 23-25 as a head coach and yet another failed Belichick protege.

• 5 months later...
Guest Aloysius

I thought this anecdote was interesting:

When we were building our program in Cleveland back in 1991 as Bill Belichick arrived, we had some very special people come through our doors. We often looked for bright, energetic, multi-dimensional people who could start in one area of the organization and grow in whatever direction their talent led them. Dom Anile met Jim Schwartz at a coaching convention and recommended him for a formal interview. Schwartz was a graduate in economics from Georgetown University and ranked in the top 10 of his class. Every candidate we talked to had to take a profile test, the same test that prospective college player take at the Combine. After Schwartz took the test, Bob Troutwine, who graded the test, called my office and told me not to let Schwartz out the building as he would be the best employee we would ever hire. And so we hired Jim, and Bob was dead on with his assessment. Schwartz worked in personnel until the team moved to Baltimore, when he moved into the coaching ranks. From Baltimore, he then was hired as a defensive assistant by the Titans, and before too long he helped install their nickel packages their Super Bowl year. He eventually became their defensive coordinator.

Schwartz has been around some of the best coaching minds in the NFL, working for Belichick (although in personnel), then for Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher. Not only has Schwartz worked for very talented coaches, he has absorbed their teachings and created his own way of doing things. Now it’s his time to be a head coach, taking over a team that has not won since 2007.

Good for the Lions. I hope they got a coach to turn things around. With his history with some of the coaches listed, and his own damn fine accomplishments, I wish him well. The Lions as well. It is good for the NFL that the franchise gets turned around.

I hope Mangini strikes gold his second time around as well. He seems ready to me (as much as I do not like his choices @ OC and DC.)

Good for the Lions. I hope they got a coach to turn things around. With his history with some of the coaches listed, and his own damn fine accomplishments, I wish him well. The Lions as well. It is good for the NFL that the franchise gets turned around.

I hope Mangini strikes gold his second time around as well. He seems ready to me (as much as I do not like his choices @ OC and DC.)

Just curious,

Who would you have preferred at OC and DC? Yes, I know it was 7 months ago. . . . but still curious.

Archived