THE BROWNS BOARD

Heckert Must Stay

miktoxic

ok i was going to start a thread questioning heckert and his picks BUT this guy has been pretty damn good.

i won't comment on this year's picks as they are still yet to be proven/unproven but check the 2010 and 2011 drafts:

Taylor - A

Sheard - A

Little - B (looks to improve to an A if he would start catching the ball)

Cameron - C (i like this kid. i think he might be a A this year)

Marecic - C- (should have never gotten rid of vickers but marecic is still young)

Skrine - (i haven't seen enough of him to grade)

Pinkston - (uuuuuH? shown some skills but needs to step up. i'd say a C)

Hagg - B

Haden - A+ (just needs to stay away from the dope man)

Ward - A (needs to stay healthy)

Hardesty - C (i personally liked the pick. just couldn't stay healthy for 2 years in a row. seems like he runs scared as not to get hurt. this is his make or break year.)

McCoy - B (some will disagree. at first i hated the pick but he showed a lot of heart in his rookie season in the toughest division in football on a team with absolutely no offensive talent.)

Lauvao - ????????????

Asante - ?????????

Mitchell - F (i guess cuz he just got cut after doing nothing for 2 years.)

Geathers - who?????

so if this year's draft turns out to be as good as the previous 2, the guy's a genius. i hope the new ownership will keep him.

his boss on the other hand should already be on a bus going west.

I think you are being a little too optimistic regarding your grades. An 'A" grade to me, means an All-Pro, who continually makes the Pro Bowl...... Outstanding, best of the best.

The only player in those two drafts that I would possibly call an "A" player, is Haden, and he still has much to prove. The others that you gave "A" grades to, are no where near that. That being said, I like our last two drafts, but sooner rather than later, they have to start winning.

I think you are being a little too optimistic regarding your grades. An 'A" grade to me, means an All-Pro, who continually makes the Pro Bowl...... Outstanding, best of the best.

The only player in those two drafts that I would possibly call an "A" player, is Haden, and he still has much to prove. The others that you gave "A" grades to, are no where near that. That being said, I like our last two drafts, but sooner rather than later, they have to start winning.

i hear ya. i guess i'm grading heckert more than just the player. A meaning it was a good pick.

hell now i don't know. you got me confused.

Taylor is our best DT so he gets an A. Ward our best safety so that pick gets an A. :blink:

Heckert is a joke.

Thanks for your stellar contribution to the forums.

Heckert has done well drafting the last couple years. I too hope he sticks around although I think you were way too generous with giving out A's.

BTW Lauvao is our starting OG.

Heckert has done ok in my opinion. He hasn't wowed me with any picks, but there have been few complete misses too. To me the key to grading a GM is the players they draft after the 3rd round. Most GM's get the 1st,and 2nd round picks correct so after that is where they earn their money

Browns fans are so mind fucked due to past drafts being so god awful.

Heckert has done okay, since when should someone get praised for not fucking it up?

I'd give Heckert a solid C+ in drafting - of course the jury is still out on a lot of guys.

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Heckert and I think he should stick around we need the stability and a solid system in place for at least five years.

Let's just not go crowning this guy king shit guru or anything.

Browns fans are so mind fucked due to past drafts being so god awful.

Heckert has done okay, since when should someone get praised for not fucking it up?

I'd give Heckert a solid C+ in drafting - of course the jury is still out on a lot of guys.

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Heckert and I think he should stick around we need the stability and a solid system in place for at least five years.

Let's just not go crowning this guy king shit guru or anything.

I agree. When you compare his drafts to Mangini, Butch,and Savage, he does look good. But having those idiots to compare to, he BETTER look good

Heckert gets an A from me! Haden, Ward, Colt(w/Holmgren), Skrine, Cameron, Richardson, Smelley, Little, Gordon, Taylor, SHEARD, Wade, Benjamin, Weeden, Hardesty, Schwartz, Winn and Hughes! Nice picks Heckert.

All but 3 of the players taken in the past 3 drafts are still with the team. While our talent depleted roster at the beginning of the first draft needs to be taken into account that is still damn impressive. By next season that number will more than likely be up to 5. It was mentioned today that Hardesty was just surpassed by Jackson on the roster and by next season I think the HC will be completely committed to either Marecic or Smelley as the starting FB and the other will be gone.

Heckert is indeed average - With the picks we've had, and by that I mean in the top ten, we should have players that are All-Pro. The jury is still out on Haden. Dude needs to keep his feet this year because last year AJ Green tore him up. Our two second year guards are more or less value picks holding roster spots right now for the next draft class. Ward needs to stay healthy and from what I've seen hasn't shown me one instance where I thought, "Wow, that guy made an outstanding play. Just another average safety back there getting lost in coverage and missing tackles. Watch Ed Reed or that other guy in that shit city play safety and you'll see what I mean.

Mitchell Schwartz is getting blown off his feet right now during the preseason and I expected more from a second rounder.

Colt McCoy? - enter Brandon Weeden, enough said.

Owen Marecic getting drafted after Vickers was a terrible bonehead move.

Carlton Mitchell? Carlton Mitchell! Carlton Mitchell!

Jordan Cameron has potential and numbers, but so did Carlton Mitchell. Btw, I really hope Cameron pans out.

Sheldon Brown still being on this team is a joke

To sum it up, what have we acquired in the last three drafts? Like I said, your first round picks are the future and teams are hoping they're Pro Bowl caliber players. Haden's not going to the pro bowl this year because he's an idiot and selfish. And by the looks of the quarterbacks we're facing this year, you can kiss that top pass defense good bye. I won't even start w/ the run defense. I've been screaming for LB's for the last 7 years!

Heckert is indeed average - With the picks we've had, and by that I mean in the top ten, we should have players that are All-Pro. The jury is still out on Haden. Dude needs to keep his feet this year because last year AJ Green tore him up. Our two second year guards are more or less value picks holding roster spots right now for the next draft class. Ward needs to stay healthy and from what I've seen hasn't shown me one instance where I thought, "Wow, that guy made an outstanding play. Just another average safety back there getting lost in coverage and missing tackles. Watch Ed Reed or that other guy in that shit city play safety and you'll see what I mean.

Mitchell Schwartz is getting blown off his feet right now during the preseason and I expected more from a second rounder.

Colt McCoy? - enter Brandon Weeden, enough said.

Owen Marecic getting drafted after Vickers was a terrible bonehead move.

Carlton Mitchell? Carlton Mitchell! Carlton Mitchell!

Jordan Cameron has potential and numbers, but so did Carlton Mitchell. Btw, I really hope Cameron pans out.

Sheldon Brown still being on this team is a joke

To sum it up, what have we acquired in the last three drafts? Like I said, your first round picks are the future and teams are hoping they're Pro Bowl caliber players. Haden's not going to the pro bowl this year because he's an idiot and selfish. And by the looks of the quarterbacks we're facing this year, you can kiss that top pass defense good bye. I won't even start w/ the run defense. I've been screaming for LB's for the last 7 years!

yes. if you look at my comments after the player's grades we actually feel the same way.

LBs? this draft was pretty deep and we got acho or jmj?

if he's still here next year i think defense (saying weeden and TR pan out) will be his first concern.

I would like to point out how stupid it is to rip on a GM for a bad late round pick. Ripping him for Mitchel? That's stupid. Ripping him for... lets say Ward. Ok at least I can understand that. The oldest players are going into their 3rd season. Not every 1st round pick is going to be an all pro right away. Hell Haden might have an all pro season even though he'll be out 4 games. It doesn't matter if he is ineligible for the pro bowl, if he plays at a pro bowl level when he is in that is all he needs to do.

I would like to point out how stupid it is to rip on a GM for a bad late round pick. Ripping him for Mitchel? That's stupid. Ripping him for... lets say Ward. Ok at least I can understand that. The oldest players are going into their 3rd season. Not every 1st round pick is going to be an all pro right away. Hell Haden might have an all pro season even though he'll be out 4 games. It doesn't matter if he is ineligible for the pro bowl, if he plays at a pro bowl level when he is in that is all he needs to do.

Completely agree. Every draft pick is a gamble. Late round picks are usually the line between practice squad and playing football in a different league. Sometimes you can strike gold, but to rip someone for a late rounder is just dumb.

Heckert has made better picks than any of the previous regimes. Although it couldn't have been that hard to do given the previous regimes... but all in all he's done decent.

Mik,

whether he stays or goes will ultimately depend on the Browns W-L record. I was down on him but I love the Weeden and Richardson picks. I have no idea what Haslam's philosophy is, but to a reasonable man, in the time he has been here Heckert has not drafted a single jaw-dropping talent, and he had soem pretty high picks.

Drafting standouts is what keeps a guy like Heckert in his job. I believe right now, as goes Weeden and Richardson, so goes Heckert. If these guys turn out to be unremarkable, Heckert won't be back next year. I think he is safe for now.

If you take another look at it... I think he has made at least 3 remarkable draft choices.

1) The blockbuster - with a roster low in talent, he was able to add a great deal of it by trading out of the #6 spot. Sure, we missed out on Julio Jones but we needed all the other guys that we got in return.

2) Joe Haden. Keep watching this kid, he's jaw-dropping talent.

3) Trent Richardson. Haven't seen him play yet, but I just have that feeling.

If you add in Sheard, Hagg, Winn, Ward, Skrine, Weeden, Little, Benjamin, and the move to get Gordon, you might be looking at multiple remarkable moves. Only time will tell, but this guy has done a good job. If we stay the course, it'll be 3 years til we really see the consistent playoff team we want to be. In the meantime, let's just hope to get lucky a few times and win some games.

hahahaha heckert must stay is the gayest thread. 3rd year and jury is still out..

How many probowl players has he drafted or future prowbowl players? Please domt tell me because pinkston and lauvano start they are good pics..

Heckert also drafted Kolb. What a gem huh?

lets get rid of him and let another dude draft players for 3 years and have this same conversation, and no matter how you look at it there will be people on here who will still not be happy with that GM. For the love of god just fucking enjoy the team we have!!

lets get rid of him and let another dude draft players for 3 years and have this same conversation, and no matter how you look at it there will be people on here who will still not be happy with that GM. For the love of god just fucking enjoy the team we have!!

How can you not enjoy a team with a losing record 9 out of 12 years being back in the league?

Heckert's drafts so far are more than okay by me, but his retread free agent pickups range from average to suck >> next to Hodges--who is an exception--grey beard Sheldon Brown is one of the better pickups at 45 yrs old making the occasional pick and only getting burned 4-5 times a game and Seneca is ok although too pricey for a backup but cousins????? Gocong? Fujita?? Usama Young??? Frosty???? Jacqua????? where have they been all preseason????? besides hurt? >>

back to cousins --who's play is so terrible on BOTH ends of the line he no longer deserves the effort of me pressing the shift key for caps -- and that's Joe Thomas' backup?!? seriously?!? W.T.FUUUUUUUUUUQ Tom?????!!!!!

oniel's gotta go now!

and PLEASE send Greco with him!

Archived