THE BROWNS BOARD

No News On Haden Suspension?

HowieDawg

We sit here just over a week before the opener and I for one would like to know if Haden faces a 4 game ban or not. There seems to be very little out there at the moment on whether he will face a ban or not. Has he appealed? Is he going to? if he does, does that mean he will play until it is overturned or upheld? What the hell is going on?

Anyone found anything that I haven't that let's us know? Lord knows we need the guy to play big from the off this season. But when will that be?

<Whispers in your Ear>- ...Just leave it alone. No big deal... he has an attention disorder that requires a banned substance. They are going to let this slide because he NEEDS it to function on a daily bases and preform at a high level, being one of the younger stars in the NFL. If they publicly announce they are going to let it slide it will cause controversy... as I said, let it be... nothing to see here... move along... I'm EXCITED to see Richardson in week 1. I pity the Defense that faces us... SURPRISE MUTHAFUKAS!!

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/09/breaking_browns_mike_holmgren.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns President Mike Holmgren revealed on 92.3 The Fan today that cornerback Joe Haden has already had his appeal hearing for his drug suspension and is awaiting word.

Previously, it was unknown if Haden had actually been suspended, so Holmgren confirmed the four-game suspension.

"He's had his appeal hearing,'' Holmgren tod Kiley and Booms.

Haden reportedly tested positive for the stimulant Adderall, espncleveland reported last month.

Holmgren surmised that if the NFL hasn't notified the Browns yet, that perhaps Haden will be available for Sunday's opener against the Eagles.

"I suspect if we haven't heard by now, we'll have him for the first game,'' said Holmgren, who added that he really didn't know for sure.

Haden said Monday "I have no idea'' if he'd be suspended for the first four games of the season.

The NFL typically hands down suspensions on Monday Tuesday of a game week.

If Haden is suspended, Dimitri Patterson will start in his place. Buster Skrine and Trevin Wade will also play key roles in substitue defenses.

This season, two Giants players were suspended for Adderall. One, running back Andre Brown, won his appeal after proving he had a previous prescription, and the other, Tyler Sash, lost.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/09/breaking_browns_mike_holmgren.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns President Mike Holmgren revealed on 92.3 The Fan today that cornerback Joe Haden has already had his appeal hearing for his drug suspension and is awaiting word.

Previously, it was unknown if Haden had actually been suspended, so Holmgren confirmed the four-game suspension.

"He's had his appeal hearing,'' Holmgren tod Kiley and Booms.

Haden reportedly tested positive for the stimulant Adderall, espncleveland reported last month.

Holmgren surmised that if the NFL hasn't notified the Browns yet, that perhaps Haden will be available for Sunday's opener against the Eagles.

"I suspect if we haven't heard by now, we'll have him for the first game,'' said Holmgren, who added that he really didn't know for sure.

Haden said Monday "I have no idea'' if he'd be suspended for the first four games of the season.

The NFL typically hands down suspensions on Monday Tuesday of a game week.

If Haden is suspended, Dimitri Patterson will start in his place. Buster Skrine and Trevin Wade will also play key roles in substitue defenses.

This season, two Giants players were suspended for Adderall. One, running back Andre Brown, won his appeal after proving he had a previous prescription, and the other, Tyler Sash, lost.

He said the same stuff on Rizzo's show this morning also. He said he thought that it being so far into the week that Haden would probably play the first game atleast

it's official, just came over the local ESPN channel.....

haden gone 4 games.

It appears to me that he has been suspended and is waiting to hear word about his appeal. Not the possibility of being suspended.

No, because to my knowledge no suspension has been announced. It has only been speculated that he will be suspended...but the hammer has not come down. If and when it does, then he can appeal. You can't appeal a sentence until you/ve been sentenced..

No, because to my knowledge no suspension has been announced. It has only been speculated that he will be suspended...but the hammer has not come down. If and when it does, then he can appeal. You can't appeal a sentence until you/ve been sentenced..

He's already been suspended and had his appeal ... they are awaiting appeal results.

Zombo

OK, I see. But I am correct to say that today was the first time that we were all notified that the suspension was issued, nay?

Yes, the first time someone in an official team (not official NFL) capacity has verified there was a suspension (and subsequent appeal).

The NFL will probably never officially announce the suspension if the appeal is upheld.

He has been suspended but turned in his appeal. If the NFL does not close his appeal before the day is out then he will be playing Sunday. I actually think the deadline already passed but I am not quite sure what time everything has to be finalized.

If he does play, I hope he can tackle Shady McCoy when he comes blazing around the outside

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2012/09/05/browns-joe-haden-unsure-about-his-status/

The Joe Haden suspension saga isn’t over, but it’s dragged on so long it looks like he’ll play Sunday in the season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Haden

“Typically, suspensions come down on Monday or Tuesday, but there is no set cutoff,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email.

Today is the start of a normal practice week, so waiting past Tuesday puts the team at a competitive disadvantage.

“I suspect if we haven’t heard by now, that we’ll have him for the first game,” Browns president Mike Holmgren said Tuesday morning in a radio interview on 92.3 The Fan. “But I don’t know for sure.”

Holmgren revealed that Haden, the team’s No. 1 cornerback, was awaiting word on his appeal of a four-game suspension for failing an offseason drug test.

“He’s had his appeal hearing, and now it’s up to someone else,” Holmgren said. “And we don’t know.”

The league’s policy is to not comment on a suspension until it’s official, including standing up to an appeal. So if Haden wins the appeal, the league won’t have a comment.

The NFL also tells team officials not to comment. The Browns had honored that until Holmgren, by revealing the appeal, confirmed a suspension that was rumored but not known for sure.

Haden declined to discuss the situation Monday in the locker room after practice and said he didn’t know if he’d be able to play Sunday.

“There’s just really nothing I can talk about about any of the situation, at all,” he said.

Haden tested positive for Adderall, ESPNCleveland reported last month. Adderall is a stimulant commonly prescribed to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. It’s on the league’s banned list of performance-enhancing drugs.

The appeal will hinge on whether he can prove he had an exemption from the league to take the drug.

Haden has known about the failed test for more than a month, and the report broke on Aug. 8. He said it hasn’t been a distraction or hindered his preparation.

“I was just working on getting better,” he said. “It didn’t really bother me at all. It didn’t bother my teammates, my coaches.

“In the locker room, everybody’s cool. You just keep going, just keep playing, just keep practicing, that’s what I like about all the teammates, it’s like nothing’s going on. They’re just my family basically, so we’re just going.”

His preseason performance backed up his words. He was around the ball every day, intercepting or breaking up passes. He’s excited for the start of the season and hopes to play all 16 games.

“I’m more ready than I’ve been ever playing this position,” he said. “I feel like this is the best I’ve been playing at corner in my life. I’ve just become really comfortable at the position, I’m starting to understand concepts and starting to understand a whole lot, so the game is really slowing down for me.

“I was always pretty good at press (coverage) but I worked on my off (coverage) and I’ve just been watching film and been just not afraid to get beat. If you play not to get beat, then that’s how you let people catch comebacks and stuff on you. But if you play what you see and just go for it, and that’s how I play now.”

Haden has extra incentive to be on the field Sunday. He grew up idolizing Eagles quarterback Michael Vick and calls him his favorite player of all time.

“Because I played quarterback my whole life, and I wanted to be like him,” said Haden, who switched to cornerback at the University of Florida. “He did it the way I wanted to do it.”

If Haden is suspended — starting this week or later — nickelback Dimitri Patterson would start in his spot. In three-receiver sets, Buster Skrine would play on the outside and Patterson would return to the slot. The Eagles will test whoever’s at corner with receivers Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson.

“Obviously, that’s a blow. No doubt about it,” Patterson said of a possible Haden suspension. “But, hey, it’s professional football. It’s not Pop Warner. You’ve got to step in and be a professional. It’s as simple as that.”

Patterson returned to practice Monday after injuring his knee and ankle Aug. 10 against Detroit. He declared himself ready to go for Sunday.

“He’s really, really valuable,” Haden said. “As a nickel cover corner, he’s one of the best. He’s physical, fast, great blitzer, he just knows how to handle slots.

“We knew he’s a really good player and for preseason we didn’t need him to prove anything. So I’m just glad he was able to rest and get himself back to 100 percent.”

Seems to be a situation similar to what went on a few years back with a couple of the Vikings DL- though I can't remember their names- help me out guys.

The league tried to suspend them and the appeal process went on like forever.

Archived